Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:28 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times

Advertisements

We are in our early 60's and want to move to Florida for health reasons (chronic pain- otherwise no prob). We are very liberal but although we get along with almost everyone, that doesn't mean others get along with us. A few ppl- just today- suggested St Pete and Gulfport (tho we were thinking Dunedin). I heard that crime is an issue in St Pete. Also sinkholes. Here our wish list:

We'd like a place that has:
*a large variety of shopping in real stores (not just boutiques and gift shops)
*a health food store, also Trader Joes, whole foods, if possible- we are on special diets that are gluten free/ paleo/ anti-inflammatory
*a good place to get fresh fruits and veggies since we don't eat processed or fast food
*good doctors/ medical care
*housing under $200K (the more under the better) It has to be a house- condos don't allow 6 dogs
*a walkable city that's safe to walk in
*a cheaper/ lower COL
*dog friendly (we have 6, but 2 are already on special diets for kidney failure/ disease-1 of which is 16 yrs old, the other 10 but a giant breed)
*things to see and places to go/ things to do
*a variety of great restaurants, including the "cheap local diner" kind
* safe enough where I don't need to live in a bunker (we are use to leaving doors unlocked and keys in cars unless we go to large cities) I know I can't do that in Florida, but still......

What is the REAL scoop on St Pete and Gulfport? I know it's in sinkhole alley, but how is that area? Do you hear of, or see, them often?

All info is welcome, the good, bad, and ugly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 09:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Looks like Gulfport would check all your boxes =
Gulfport Florida

Old 04-05-2017, 11:38 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
We live and love Gulfport.

It is all the things you want/listed.

However, both in Gulfport and most of Pinellas, you can't have more than 3 dogs per household unless you qualify and obtain a kennel permit.

Sinkholes not an issue in Guflport...more in northern Pinellas by far.

Last edited by dothetwist; 04-05-2017 at 11:57 AM..

Old 04-05-2017, 06:47 PM

461 posts, read 554,198 times
Was there yesterday looking around. Its cute. Some say Gulfport can be bad or have high crime but I don't see the indications really. Not if you're in Gulfport exclusively anyhow. It strikes me as an artsy fartsy type place, some young people maybe but older progressives primarily. I can see where they see some similarities to Dunedin. Its a good little area I'd say. It turns out I am moving near Gulfport now but north of Central. I wouldn't want to be near Gulfport on the south side but you also don't have to be on the far northside either near Gandy. Gulfport strikes me as a place where less housing is getting available. Enough people already got in more than likely and as its so small and nice, on the water.. I wouldn't be surprised if its full and have people waiting to get into there to live.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:22 PM

828 posts, read 691,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrykaren View Post
We are in our early 60's and want to move to Florida for health reasons (chronic pain- otherwise no prob). We are very liberal but although we get along with almost everyone, that doesn't mean others get along with us. A few ppl- just today- suggested St Pete and Gulfport (tho we were thinking Dunedin). I heard that crime is an issue in St Pete. Also sinkholes. Here our wish list:

We'd like a place that has:
*a large variety of shopping in real stores (not just boutiques and gift shops)
*a health food store, also Trader Joes, whole foods, if possible- we are on special diets that are gluten free/ paleo/ anti-inflammatory
*a good place to get fresh fruits and veggies since we don't eat processed or fast food
*good doctors/ medical care
*housing under $200K (the more under the better) It has to be a house- condos don't allow 6 dogs
*a walkable city that's safe to walk in
*a cheaper/ lower COL
*dog friendly (we have 6, but 2 are already on special diets for kidney failure/ disease-1 of which is 16 yrs old, the other 10 but a giant breed)
*things to see and places to go/ things to do
*a variety of great restaurants, including the "cheap local diner" kind
* safe enough where I don't need to live in a bunker (we are use to leaving doors unlocked and keys in cars unless we go to large cities) I know I can't do that in Florida, but still......

What is the REAL scoop on St Pete and Gulfport? I know it's in sinkhole alley, but how is that area? Do you hear of, or see, them often?

All info is welcome, the good, bad, and ugly. Thanks.
St Pete is attracting a younger hipster crowd these days. It isn't really a retirement destination per say anymore. Maybe try the area around Tierra Verde or Isla del Sol if you want to find other retirees in St Pete. Gulfport, on the other hand might be exactly what you are looking for. It is a little older demographically and sleepier but still an interesting, walkable town by the sea.

Side note: Pinellas County is also not sinkhole alley. Hillsborough County is. Pinellas county does get them but not often enough to worry too much.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:11 AM

885 posts, read 1,166,120 times
Thank you everyone, keep the posts coming.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:56 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,077,659 times
I never knew that about maximum number of dogs, prob a good idea to talk to individual city halls for advice.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:43 PM

73 posts, read 107,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender View Post
I never knew that about maximum number of dogs, prob a good idea to talk to individual city halls for advice.
The info is on city and county websites. As I recall, St. Pete does not have a dog limit, but Gulfport does.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:00 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
From the City of St. Petersburg Muni-code:
Sec. 4-8. - Allowable number of certain types of household pets.
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person to allow the number of household pets or animals at a residence or multi-family residence to exceed the number set forth in this subsection.
(1)
Not more than the combination of five adult dogs, or their equivalent, on site at a residence for longer than 24 hours.
(2)
Not more than the combination of three adult dogs, or their equivalent, on site at a multi-family residence for longer than 24 hours.
(b)
For the purposes of this section:
(1)
An adult dog shall be the base measurement unit for the number of pets or animals allowed. One dog shall be the equivalent of one miniature sheep or goat. One dog shall be the equivalent of two cats or fowl, or portion thereof (e.g. three cats is the equivalent of one and a half dogs and this would be considered to be two dogs). A Vietnamese pig shall be the equivalent of two dogs.
(2)
The term "residence" shall be a residentially used property that is a single-family unit, duplex, and shall not include garage apartments, triplexes, quadraplexes, apartment complexes, condominiums or cooperative association buildings.
(3)
The term "multi-family residence" shall be a residentially used apartment complex, condominium or cooperative association building, garage apartment, triplex, or quadraplex.
(4)
"Adult" means having attained the age of six calendar months or greater, or having achieved the size of the average adult of that type animal.

Old 04-16-2017, 09:27 AM

33 posts, read 37,171 times
1. Tons of shopping in st pete area-pretty much anything you want. If not, there is west Tampa.
2. Trader Joes is on 4th St N. There is a farmers market all winter downtown on the weekends
3. See #2
4. Plenty of good medical care to choose from in Pinellas; also in Tampa.
5. Real estate at your price might be a bit of a stretch if you want anything nice or with square footage
6. Downtown St Pete is very walkable, and safe during the day.
7. COL is slightly below national average
8. Very dog friendly, lots of dog parks.
9. Lots to do; always something going on. St Pete has Rays baseball, Bucs football if you don't mind the short drive to Tampa, Lightning Hockey (also Tampa), St Pete Grand Prix race, annual blues festival, orchestra in the park, etc.
10. St Pete/Tampa bay area is known in the food industry as a good testing market for new restaurants due to demographics. Lots of restaurants from mom n pop to high end, and of course just about every chain restaurant.
11. Probably shouldn't leave anything unlocked anywhere in urban Fl.
Sinkholes are really not a big problem in St Pete-more common in Dunedin, Palm Harbor, and northern Pinellas county. Big problem east of Tampa.
If you are going to live in St Pete, NE St Pete near downtown is prime. Don't recommend central or south St Pete. North and west is ok mostly, but farther away from everything.
Gulfport is okay, but borders some pretty undesirable real estate.
Crime is a problem in the whole bay area; just need to be vigilant and careful.
Traffic in St Pete is not bad if you learn how to get around. 1st ave. north and 1st ave south will get you from one side of St Pete to the other nicely, if you follow the deliberate timing of the lights.
North of St Pete (Park Blvd and farther north) is off the charts frustrating.
Just my 2cents after living in the area for 40 years. Hope it helps.

Last edited by rvdweller; 04-16-2017 at 09:29 AM.. Reason: correction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay