Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:46 PM

96 posts, read 736,647 times

Advertisements

O.K., I realize that what people will describe as "best" and "worst" will be a bit subjective and/or will be relative to what you consider to be essential to good living.

However, I'd like to hear from people who live in St. Petersburg or St. Pete Beach exactly what you love about living there and what you just absolutely do not like.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 03:26 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,969 times
On the good side, I like being close to the water. More laid back lifestyle than other parts of the tampabay area. Plenty of places to shop and eat.

Bad side, I can't really say because the moderator will delete it. Let's just say certain areas are prone to crime because of certain elements of the population behaving in terribly uncivilized ways.

Still, the good outweighs the bad, as long as you know where to live.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Bad side, I can't really say because the moderator will delete it. Let's just say certain areas are prone to crime because of certain elements of the population behaving in terribly uncivilized ways.
Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that it is against the board rules to say that specific areas have crime?

I have seen numerous other posts on here where people have specifically named certain areas of St. Petersburg as high crime areas. No moderator has removed those posts, as far as I know.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:16 PM

792 posts, read 2,291,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
Thanks for your reply.

Are you saying that it is against the board rules to say that specific areas have crime?

I have seen numerous other posts on here where people have specifically named certain areas of St. Petersburg as high crime areas. No moderator has removed those posts, as far as I know.

Here's an example:

Police: Teen shot man who told him to slow down - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/7/31/369884.html?title=Police:+Teen+shot+man+who+told+h im+to+slow+down - broken link)

Old 07-31-2008, 10:25 PM

38 posts, read 163,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post

Still, the good outweighs the bad, as long as you know where to live.
Where would that be?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:51 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
I'll say it. The majority of South St. Pete is crud except maybe around the water. This is from personally living in South St. Pete for many years with my family. Some parts of South St. Pete near downtown is acceptable. Pinellas Point is nice from what I hear. Lakewood Estates isn't too bad. I even hear Gulfport isn't to bad either, but anywhere else in South St. Pete is really undesireable. That doesn't mean that the north side is without fault as well. I'm not too crazy about Haynes Street area, but the majority of the bad areas in North St. Pete that are bad are filled with mobile homes and rednecks.

Last edited by Keeper; 08-01-2008 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Post aren't deleted unless they break the ToS

Old 08-01-2008, 10:59 AM

So, aside from the South St. Petersburg area, what does everyone have to say about the rest of St. Petersburg?

I'm looking for feedback about day-to-day life experiences, like grocery shopping, dining out, going to the beach, what your nieghbors are like, your favorite bookstore, movie theater, park, etc.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM

6 posts, read 65,465 times
i have no contact with neighbors. they have a barnes and noble, baywalk and muvico is good for movies, i like northwest park, beach is good, although i like fort de soto or clearwater better.

its a good city if you mind your buisness.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:11 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,126,512 times
St. Pete has the best bookstore in Florida. Check it out:

The Haslam Family and their Book Store

I heard that Jack Kerouac used to hang out here before he died.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:31 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Curt View Post
So, aside from the South St. Petersburg area, what does everyone have to say about the rest of St. Petersburg?

I'm looking for feedback about day-to-day life experiences, like grocery shopping, dining out, going to the beach, what your nieghbors are like, your favorite bookstore, movie theater, park, etc.
Where do you live now? If you give us a general location, we could probably give you advice of where to go and what to do nearby there that meets your requirements. I don't live in St. Pete anymore, but I visit there on a regular basis to see my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay