Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 01:24 PM

16 posts, read 64,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
On the good side, I like being close to the water. More laid back lifestyle than other parts of the tampabay area. Plenty of places to shop and eat.

Bad side, I can't really say because the moderator will delete it. Let's just say certain areas are prone to crime because of certain elements of the population behaving in terribly uncivilized ways.

Still, the good outweighs the bad, as long as you know where to live.
Can you elaborate on the crime? Thanks...and where are good apt. complexes to live in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 01:29 PM

16 posts, read 64,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpeteguy View Post
Here's an example:

Police: Teen shot man who told him to slow down - Bay News 9 (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2008/7/31/369884.html?title=Police:+Teen+shot+man+who+told+h im+to+slow+down - broken link)

Thanks. but, this doesn't scare me. We had a road rage incident down the street from me where a man shot a woman in the face and wounded her son in the back seat. They had words while driving and she pulled over and the man in the other car just shot her. it happens everywhere.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 57,493 times
I would say that st pete changes when it becomes night time. Something about the night brings out the crazy people, and no im not an old person either. 34th st (us19) becomes a dragstrip and 275 becomes a highway for the drunk. Thats my only complaint living here.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 7,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey555 View Post
Hi-
I just moved to st. pete 3 weeks ago from ohio...yes, i really have no idea what it's like living here BUT what i've discovered thus far is awesome. i live in the gateway area..LOVE IT!!! live here! getting to know the street layout is confusing but everything else is great. there are things to do, many places to eat, a great downtown-i just love it. When i consulted this site about moving here noone was like YAAAAAAY move here, i guess i'm not quite sure why. Everyone can find a problem with where they live...keep that in mind. Yeah south st pete is sketchy but I've went there a few times for some things and...I'M STILL ALIVE!!!! crime is everywhere, in every city, in every state. if you want to know anything else message me
How do you like it today..9/7/2009 ?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:59 PM

8 posts, read 39,115 times
I just moved to St. Pete in June.
So here's my two cents:

Good:
-this is the weirdest city i've ever lived in. i am confused daily by the things i see people do. the other day i saw some guy riding his bike down the sidewalk with a bottle of pancake syrup in his hand. he stopped halfway down the block and exchanged it for money with a pedestrian.
-traffic. it's delightful. there's hardly any.
-it's SO laidback.
-everyone smiles at you, everyone wants to talk to you.

Bad:
-this is the weirdest city i've ever lived in. people are constantly doing things that completely confuse me, and sometimes it's just unsettling.
-it's mostly a bar scene here, and not much in the way of dance clubs. i really love to dance.
-it's so laidback. that translates to EXTREMELY slow service, pretty much everywhere i've been. no one really cares, and no one's in a hurry.
-south side. (this refers to anywhere south of Central Ave) i live in Roser Park, on the very EDGE of the ghetto-y parts, and in the first month of living here i had a rock thrown through my window at 3am. this has really turned me off of St. Pete in general.

there are a lot of homeless people here, but i really don't mind them at all.

hope this helps!

Old 09-13-2009, 10:52 AM

161 posts, read 450,606 times
Good:
- Pinellas Trail
- Hispanic population with food and entertainment
- Hurricane parties
- Off-the-beaten path entertainment

Bad:
- Mediocre museums, even worse galleries
- psuedo-intellectual hipsters
- downtowns are small and unimpressive
- The area doesn't attract much talent, your BA will take you all the way in this town

Ugly:
- The negative treatment the homeless get
- the tourist mentality of the majority who live here

Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM

119 posts, read 207,098 times
St Petersburg is one of the few places I have managed to like! In the sixteen years too many, that I have lived here. Like any small city, it has bad areas. I think what the one writer was afraid to say, it that it is not very racially integrated. It has very segregated neighborhoods, and they do not get along with each other. It is typically a Southern thing, if you ask me. Yes there are high crime areas, and those are the "crack" neighborhoods. Nobody likes them, not even the residents. You can have trouble no matter where you live! The person who was afraid to post their thoughts, obviously does not like racial diversity.

There are many nice old neighborhoods in Central St Pete, and near downtown. The northern area as one person said, is more spread out with many "trailer parks". Some of these are seedy, but many are quite pleasant. I owned a mobile home for five years and was happy until we were made to move out, for a condo development. I'm sure these condo dwellers feel the trailer parks are undesirable. I found mine to be a neighborly place where we all knew each other and got along. Now I live in a "deed restricted" community in Pasco, because I had to move in with my elderly Mom. I would take my trailer park anytime over this community run by snobby busy bodies!

St Petersburg is a diverse community, with many nice neighborhoods. I highly recommend it!

Old 11-27-2009, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 7,429 times
Default Did you move to St Petersburg?

I am considering moving to St Petersburg from Sarasota.

What I need: I love to have yoga centers around, organic grocery stores and all types of art gatherings. I am into the ''alternative healing arts'' and Sarasota is great for that. So I was wondering if any of you knew what the vibe is in St Pete in connection to the alternative healing arts (reiki, shamanism, meditation group gatherings etc etc).

We do have a Drum Circle at Siesta Key & would like to know if there is such a think in St Pete. Also I would like to know if there are any good vegetarian (or raw food) restaurants?
Any good jogging trails that are safe and centrally located?

I do love older homes which St Pete has in abundance..(so beautiful). I have only spent one day visiting your area so I would like to know more regarding the vibe there & anything else you wished to ad. The areas I visited were the historic Old Northeast, all around downtown, Roser Park and Cresent lake area. I did get lost in the south of the city in a very bad neighborhood trying to find the freeway to head back to Sarasota late at night. I made it into the freeway safe and sound. So my question is not about crime, I know the good and the bad areas already.

I am considering St Pete because it is a bigger city and better for work & it is closer to Tampa. With that said: how does Tampa compare in relation to my questions. (Of course the south historic area of Tampa I mean). Also when the time comes for me to buy a home; your area has more to choose from & I think more affordable than Sarasota. Can anyone tell me if this is true? Is St Pete a bit more affordable in this regard?

If you lived in Sarasota before & move to St Pete & would like to respond I would really appreciate it.

I thank all of you for responding to my questions!

Last edited by linda88; 11-27-2009 at 10:10 AM..

Old 11-27-2009, 07:13 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aninaction View Post
- The area doesn't attract much talent, your BA will take you all the way in this town
What do you mean about this? Are you saying that a bachelors degree will get you a good job easily because theres a lack of talented people, or that there are no high class jobs for people with masters degrees or PHDs?

Old 11-29-2009, 03:39 AM

21 posts, read 30,741 times
Pros- weather, variety of food, beaches, Publix
cons- summer heat, old people, homeless, housing quality
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay