Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 12:02 PM

15 posts, read 9,090 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I am totally new to everything here so I am looking for some advice. I am probably going to attend Hillsborough Community College, Dale Mabry Campus this Fall. I'd be living in the dorms near the campus so that is at least one less thing to worry about. However, I've lived abroad basically all my life (not in the U.S. at all) and I've never visited Tampa, only Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, and Fort Pierce. Which I know is probably not a good thing. I am going to try to go this summer, but it's iffy.

Point is, I keep trying to find information on living in Tampa and I don't read very many good things. I'll be moving out alone and I am absolutely terrified. I've lived in Austria, Canada, Germany, Venezuela, and Dominican Republic. I am a U.S. citizen by the way, my family (Austrian) just moves around a lot. I keep hearing about the high crime, terrible traffic, no work, and so on. I trying to transfer after two years at HCC, but I'm not too sure where yet. Either way, is Tampa really such a terrible place to live? Is it safe for a student? What should I know and prepare for in the area?

Thank you for all comments!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 12:12 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,672,026 times
It's not all that bad. I moved here from NY/NJ area and feel safe. The traffic is busy, but not dreadful. If you have some street smarts, you will be fine. Will you have a car? You may need one. Public transportation isn't great. Good luck!

Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 PM
KPB

1,517 posts, read 1,539,963 times
Don't let none of that stress you out. Tampa is an awesome place. I grew up here and had a blast. You've been all around the world and your gonna stress about what some people are saying about lil old Tampa town? C'mon man! You know better than that.
Tampa, like anyplace else is what you make of it. You'll be fine here. I feel so lucky to have grown up here, but then again I'm 42 and I got to experience Ybor in the 90's and the scene was a lil different then (Tampa/Ybor breaks are like no other) so I feel like i had a slight advantage.

Anyways as far as crime, yes there is but where isn't there? I've never been a victim of it the 42 years I've been here.
Yes, IMO the traffic is bad during rush hours but I've never lived anywhere else so bad to me is probably not so bad compared to other places.
Again, I've lived here my entire life. I've never worked for minimum wage I can tell you that. The hardest workers will always find work.

The only thing that might make it harder to find a decent job is if you don't have a car to get to it. A car will make it a lot easier.

Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,608,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierrawolf View Post
Hi there,

I am totally new to everything here so I am looking for some advice. I am probably going to attend Hillsborough Community College, Dale Mabry Campus this Fall. I'd be living in the dorms near the campus so that is at least one less thing to worry about. However, I've lived abroad basically all my life (not in the U.S. at all) and I've never visited Tampa, only Fort Lauderdale, Fort Myers, and Fort Pierce. Which I know is probably not a good thing. I am going to try to go this summer, but it's iffy.

Point is, I keep trying to find information on living in Tampa and I don't read very many good things. I'll be moving out alone and I am absolutely terrified. I've lived in Austria, Canada, Germany, Venezuela, and Dominican Republic. I am a U.S. citizen by the way, my family (Austrian) just moves around a lot. I keep hearing about the high crime, terrible traffic, no work, and so on. I trying to transfer after two years at HCC, but I'm not too sure where yet. Either way, is Tampa really such a terrible place to live? Is it safe for a student? What should I know and prepare for in the area?

Thank you for all comments!
You could do a lot worse. Just use your common sense about where you go, what time, and who you hang around as a college kid/student. Be smart when you drive - be defensive and expect the people around you to make unpredictable, aggressive moves on the road. Give them their space.

If you have a good head on your shoulders, you should be able to find part time work. Being fluent in Spanish might help (if you are).

I think you're wise to attend community college first then transfer.

There are a lot of schools in the state and the country where you can transfer if you find the area isn't for you.

Good luck.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,444,485 times
I didn't realize you can dorm at hillsboro community college..Our daughter is looking to start there next fall..

Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,608,931 times
What do you plan on studying? Major?

Old 03-24-2017, 06:09 AM

5,985 posts, read 7,470,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swimmom32 View Post
I didn't realize you can dorm at hillsboro community college..Our daughter is looking to start there next fall..
The only "campus housing" is at the Dale Mabry campus. It's at the far west end of the campus on Lois Ave.

There have been issues with crime there in past years, but I don't know if that's still the case or not. I believe the housing is also income-based, that is, if your family or situation is of limited means you've got a better chance of securing a place there.

And for the OP, do realize that you're going to be paying out of state tuition for your first year unless you're in a military family, so the initial costs are going to be pretty high.

As for transportation, you're close enough to Dale Mabry that major bus routes are right there. That being said, you're going to be sorely disappointed in the public transportation here, as it's pretty lousy. In general I think you'l be OK. There's nothing that's dangerous or "ghetto" about the area as it's mostly light industrial and retail around there, not a lot of people live in the area. And if it's any consolation, you're right down the street from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement....

RM

Old 03-24-2017, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
It's not all that bad. I moved here from NY/NJ area and feel safe. The traffic is busy, but not dreadful. If you have some street smarts, you will be fine. Will you have a car? You may need one. Public transportation isn't great. Good luck!
I won't have a car when I go there. Hopefully I can get one later on. Is it possible to get around to the stores and other necessities using public transport? Thanks for your reply!

Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 AM

44 posts, read 51,142 times
I have traveled around like yourself and here is my 2 cents.

Hawks Landing isn't actually your traditional dorm. It is basically an apartment complex that is close to the campus so they market it as student living. There has been several students have things stolen there, so keep things safe and be smart (you'll be fine).

That said, if you are alone and without a car it is still probably your cheapest/best option. Most of the time you have to show them that you are getting financial aid (if you don't have a job) so they know you have enough to cover their rent. As the person said above me the out of state tuition is around $380 a credit hour so your aid is probably all used by that.

Tampa itself has its pros and cons like anywhere else. I have been working/living here since finishing grad-school 2 years ago. It is not my cup of tea and I will be moving this year. However, there are far worse options and the food is great.

Of the towns you named Fort Lauderdale would be my first choice. Don't let Miami-Dade Community College slip out of consideration either.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPB View Post
Don't let none of that stress you out. Tampa is an awesome place. I grew up here and had a blast. You've been all around the world and your gonna stress about what some people are saying about lil old Tampa town? C'mon man! You know better than that.
Tampa, like anyplace else is what you make of it. You'll be fine here. I feel so lucky to have grown up here, but then again I'm 42 and I got to experience Ybor in the 90's and the scene was a lil different then (Tampa/Ybor breaks are like no other) so I feel like i had a slight advantage.

Anyways as far as crime, yes there is but where isn't there? I've never been a victim of it the 42 years I've been here.
Yes, IMO the traffic is bad during rush hours but I've never lived anywhere else so bad to me is probably not so bad compared to other places.
Again, I've lived here my entire life. I've never worked for minimum wage I can tell you that. The hardest workers will always find work.

The only thing that might make it harder to find a decent job is if you don't have a car to get to it. A car will make it a lot easier.
Haha thank you, I guess it's just a fear of going there alone. I've always traveled with my family. Thanks for the advice though. Did you find that you had enough to do around? I'm not aware how much "nature" there is. Are there parks and such?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay