Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 10:48 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times

Advertisements

The biking trail by Ballyhoo is nice. Every once in a great while you'll see a deer. It will also run right past Citrus Park mall, which will be your closest mall to the area. However, make no mistake, the Pinellas and Pasco biking trails aren't very close. I don't even know why someone would bring them up.

As far as panhandlers go, they are all around Tampa. It got real bad when St. Pete started harassing them. That said, most aren't actually homeless (don't give them money. Ever.), and most are harmless. This is coming from the guy who used to walk past the homeless community behind the now Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on Hillsborough four-five times a week. To say that one needs to "be careful of them" is an extreme over exaggeration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2017, 12:29 PM

78 posts, read 57,863 times
Default Exit Response

I mean congestion/traffic. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concert D Major View Post
What do you mean by this? Like where's the high-crime neighborhoods at?

Old 05-22-2017, 12:35 PM

Thank you!
Yeh, I've followed this forum for over 10yrs...it used to be full of more helpful people. Now, I guess it reflects the overall climate.

Thank you. My parents live in 'SorrySota', so it means a lot to me to relocate to be closer to them. The Carrolton area seems to have the community feel we are leaving in the North, so I'm excited about it. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I don't live in Tampa anymore, but was born and raised there and Carrollwood is one of my favorite parts of Tampa. There is lots of shopping nearby, and you aren't really far from any of the activities you want to do. I live in Sarasota now, and it is pretty easy to get here either on I-75 or 275 and Skyway. Sarasota is also a beautiful area with all of the things you are interested in. I don't know what you mean about the highway exits, I guess that depends where you need to travel. Anyway, I don't think you will be sorry moving to Carrollwood.

Good luck!

Old 05-22-2017, 12:38 PM

Very helpful!! Thank you!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellar View Post
As for biking, right down the road about 3 miles on Bearss Ave, which turns into Ehrlich Rd west of North Dale Mabry, is the Upper Tampa Bay Trail which is a beautiful biking and hiking trail. They also developed a small conservation area at the beginning of the trail. There is a small dirt parking lot before the trail, which is directly before Ballyhoos Restaurant, and there is also parking in the rear, all free. That trail is about 6 miles, so a loop is 12.
For more serious biking, I go to the Suncoast Trail. Hop on Veteran's Highway (tolls about $1.25 one way) off Hutchinson, and either park at Lutz Lake Fern trailhead, or Highway 54. That is $2 to park, or $60 for the year pass, which also gets you into (Pasco) parks for free. That trail is about 40 miles long north to south, and on the west side, about 4 miles from Highway 54 trailhead, is the entrance to Jay Starkey Wilderness Park (6.5 miles, so 13 mile loop), but we just had a huge wildfire there and it was shut, not sure of the status right now. If the fire was near the trails, it will grow over eventually, but will be blackened for this season minimum.
Another option is the Pinellas Trail, which starts in Tarpon Springs and runs all the way to St. Petersburg. That has a lot of foot traffic, so it's not for speed, but it is fun. I personally don't go past Clearwater; there have been a few robberies further south of that.
Also, there is Lake Park, which is north on North Dale Mabry about 3 miles north. That is a nice walking park. I don't go often but I think it's $2 to park, but you can get an annual pass for that as well.
Good Luck, welcome to the area.

Old 05-22-2017, 02:25 PM

1,277 posts, read 1,090,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGuy View Post
Watch out for all the beggars. Now they do it with the whole family. I have seen them recently by the shopping plaza where Tijuana flats is, the shopping plaza in front of Lowe's, the shopping plaza at the Publix by Fletcher, at the Fresh Market plaza and at the Target shopping plaza. HCSO are quick to respond, but there are so many that your kids will notice.

There is also a growing network of homeless people in the area. Some don't look like they are, but you will see them discretely look into trash cans at gas stations. Just saw two of them at the shell on handy rd and the new one at bearss. Living near the same intersection you mentioned (SW of Dale Mabry and Bearss) for the las 3 years, everything is convenient but there is a deterioration of the crowds in the area that I personally experienced in the early 1990's in Town N Country. The only difference is that you have more established neighborhoods here with higher dollar value, but the rest Is ripe for the taking.
Move far away from poverty than in your far off exurb and enjoy your commute into town or driving far to anything decent. Homeless are in every city.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjairo191 View Post
Move far away from poverty than in your far off exurb and enjoy your commute into town or driving far to anything decent. Homeless are in every city.

Yeh we visited and of course was pointed to Wesley Chapel, LOL, Lutz.....but no thank you. I have a kid with 2 yrs left in high school and the other in college. I'm done with murderous commutes and living wayout. It takes those folks way too long to get anywhere in Tampa area!!! Then, the school situation gets really iffy for those that are NE of city with reason!?

Yeh, Carrollwood looks really good to us. We want to take in the area, not live on outskirts too exhausted from driving to venture south.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:27 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beingm View Post
Yeh we visited and of course was pointed to Wesley Chapel, LOL, Lutz.....but no thank you. I have a kid with 2 yrs left in high school and the other in college. I'm done with murderous commutes and living wayout. It takes those folks way too long to get anywhere in Tampa area!!! Then, the school situation gets really iffy for those that are NE of city with reason!?

Yeh, Carrollwood looks really good to us. We want to take in the area, not live on outskirts too exhausted from driving to venture south.
Way back when my wife and I were looking for a home to purchase, carrollwood was one of the up and coming areas. Back then it was considered the boonies to live out there. Wesley Chapel, LOL, Trinity ect. those are the boonies for sure.

Old 05-27-2017, 12:34 PM

809 posts, read 747,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
The biking trail by Ballyhoo is nice. Every once in a great while you'll see a deer. It will also run right past Citrus Park mall, which will be your closest mall to the area. However, make no mistake, the Pinellas and Pasco biking trails aren't very close. I don't even know why someone would bring them up.
This is also part of the Upper Tampa Bay Trail previously mentioned. Great scenic trail, currently short, but planned to be connected to the Suncoast Trail further north. They do charge $2 for parking. I'm currently a short bike-ride from the Drycreek Dr. entrance so I've never looked into if they enforce the charge.

Here's the website

Hillsborough County - Upper Tampa Bay Trail

Old 05-29-2017, 08:07 PM

15 posts, read 16,150 times
Dr David Berger is an excellent holistic Dr. He is actually a pediatrician but I believe he sees adults too.

Old 05-30-2017, 07:28 AM

686 posts, read 622,284 times
-hiking
This is Florida.

-biking
There's the Upper Tampa Bay trail that I guess could be considered decent for biking.

-shopping
Dale Mabry, aka the shopping/dining epicenter of the known universe. Also Citrus Park mall and plaza which are nice.

-public transportation??
lol.

-wholistic practitioners
-yoga
Beats me.

-parks
Lake Park, I guess? Never been there.

-distance to closes beach
Depends. But all of the ones worth going to are at least 30-40 minutes driving distance from Cwood on an average day.

-best route to Sarasota
Depends on traffic, but usually the best option would be 275 over the Skyway, and on down.

-what highway exits to avoid
During rush hour to Cwood? All of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay