Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2017, 07:25 PM

175 posts, read 637,393 times

Advertisements

Just moved to St Petersburg and Spectrum was a no call/no show. Probably a blessing in disguise! Did a trial of PlayStation vue but couldn't get live local broadcast. Bought an indoor amplified antenna and picked up FOX and ABC perfectly. Could not get NBC at all and spotty CBS.

Bought an Amazon fire stick and now am looking for intel of other people in St Pete in particular that use a streaming service and get the 4 major networks included.

Please help!!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 08:38 PM

1,357 posts, read 1,242,488 times
Unless they changed their offering since I looked earlier this year, none in this area. I've looked at Sling, PSVue, DirecTVNow and YouTubeTV. Kinda sucks.

Old 06-28-2017, 09:00 PM

80 posts, read 81,571 times
Sling tv and psvue both don't offer live local, depending where your located look into a ota antenna they have a 50 miles range.

Old 07-01-2017, 01:54 PM

3 posts, read 2,923 times
I'm not in the Tampa area yet, but I think this is a universal question. We cut cable about 4 months ago and haven't looked back, we have the Amazon Fire stick with Kodi and love it, even with it's attitude it's still awesome! But to get local channels we bought this off Amazon, we get 40 channels, and all the local channels as well. So in combining the use of this antenna with the use of the stick, we have access to limitless entertainment all for free! Good luck!

ViewTV Flat HD Digital Indoor Amplified TV Antenna - 50 Miles Range - Detachable Amplifier Signal Booster - 12ft Coax Cable - Black - 2 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015RPP0IE..._7Z.vzb856H2XR

I think it's worth adding that I live 30 miles from Charlotte, NC right now, so the local channels I'm picking up are Charlotte's channels, and they come in crystal clear in HD - even 30 miles away, the picture is nicer than Spectrum gave us.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:57 PM

People embraced cable to do away with antennae's, now embracing antennae's to do away with cable. Recall the cable originally was a handful of channels, local channels mostly with a local access channel or two and a few premium channels. If you were "rich" you'd spring for HBO. Kind of humorous to see people going back to "old style" technology, basically a high tech set of "rabbit ears".

Old 07-01-2017, 03:13 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Just get a outdoor ant and live without cable. Most of what i watch is tv stuff from the 60's and 70's on BD and DVD's and local news on OTA- HD. Tired of spending money watching cable and buying a new display about every year for around 5k.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:34 PM

4,091 posts, read 6,014,333 times
PSV was incredibly hard for me to figure out. You CAN get live TV, but it takes a lot of button pushing.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:28 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
People embraced cable to do away with antennae's, now embracing antennae's to do away with cable. Recall the cable originally was a handful of channels, local channels mostly with a local access channel or two and a few premium channels. If you were "rich" you'd spring for HBO. Kind of humorous to see people going back to "old style" technology, basically a high tech set of "rabbit ears".
Except its not going back to old technology. Broadcast channels are digital now. The quality is vastly superior to the good ole days of having to move the rabbit ears when the picture rolled or was fuzzy.
I worked just over the FL border in southern AL. No cable bought a $20 square antenna from home depot stuck in a window facing the towers and picked up stations from pensacola ,ft walton, mobile to New Orleans. The quality was every bit as flawless as cable. Hardly any wash out except for big storms. Lots of channels but mostly junk religion and latin or selling things.

Old 07-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
Except its not going back to old technology. Broadcast channels are digital now. The quality is vastly superior to the good ole days of having to move the rabbit ears when the picture rolled or was fuzzy.
I worked just over the FL border in southern AL. No cable bought a $20 square antenna from home depot stuck in a window facing the towers and picked up stations from pensacola ,ft walton, mobile to New Orleans. The quality was every bit as flawless as cable. Hardly any wash out except for big storms. Lots of channels but mostly junk religion and latin or selling things.
I said "old style" (including the quotes). It's same concept as old rabbit ears, grab signal from the air, just that now it's a digital signal that improves the quality.

Old 07-02-2017, 05:47 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I said "old style" (including the quotes). It's same concept as old rabbit ears, grab signal from the air, just that now it's a digital signal that improves the quality.
Not 100% the same james. Back in the old days you would get a snowy pic and now it just breaks and blocks up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay