Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 09:01 AM

170 posts, read 206,170 times

Advertisements

TECO seems to have responded better than Duke. My power was restored Tuesday evening. Many of my friends never lost power in Tampa and many others had it restored by Tuesday evening.

TECO says the power to our office in Drew Park will be restored by Sunday. That makes a bit of sense as people in neighbors consisting of many residential houses would get power first to save their food...

It depends on the neighborhood, it seems and possibly the degree of work needed to restore. Some repairs are easier than others. Get the easy ones done first makes sense.

Restaurants that lost power and had no generator have a bunch of questionable food as it doesn't take long for food to spoil... Personally, I don't want food that may have gotten too warm and I don't think the Health Dept. would want that food to be sold either...

I hope that your power is restored soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 09:04 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,855,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
People who are flexible with travel and could evac (me next time) should probably wait 2 weeks before heading back so all of this can be worked out...gas stations, traffic all clears up days afterwards as well as electricity.
I completely agree. That's what my hurricane plan will be. Forget buying water and batteries. Get the heck outta dodge for two weeks minimum.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:08 AM

285 posts, read 386,325 times
While I am very thankful all I have to complain about is no power (was resigned to returning to a home that was unlivable), I shudder to think what would have happened if we had a direct hit. What's worse is the street north and south of me have power since Monday, as does most of my street, except for the 100 yard section I'm in.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:10 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,244,213 times
I'm with TECO too and other than lights flickering several times, we were very fortunate the power never went out. This was expected to be a CAT4/5 storm, so not sure why so many were unprepared for what one could easily expect to be several days without power.

I have a generator and had enough fuel to run for almost 3 full days. Generator large enough to keep my refrigerator running plus power a portable A/C unit, fan, laptop, chargers for phones and TV/DVR (for entertainment).

Old 09-13-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobandsherry View Post
I'm with TECO too and other than lights flickering several times, we were very fortunate the power never went out. This was expected to be a CAT4/5 storm, so not sure why so many were unprepared for what one could easily expect to be several days without power.

I have a generator and had enough fuel to run for almost 3 full days. Generator large enough to keep my refrigerator running plus power a portable A/C unit, fan, laptop, chargers for phones and TV/DVR (for entertainment).
Yet it was nowhere near a Cat 4/5 storm. Yet we still have hundreds of thousands without power. Unacceptable.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:37 AM

621 posts, read 1,616,145 times
I lived in Tampa area 35 years, moved away in 2008. I went thru several hurricanes in 2003-4, never lost power. My parents live in Brandon area, they lost power for 2 weeks. They have been without power since Saturday night. A co-worker I work with here in east Tennessee has a son in law that is a lineman in South Carolina, he left Sunday morning for Florida. They told him to expect to be gone 3 weeks. Those guys are working 16 hour days (or more). I think much of it depends on how much damage there is. I know right down the road from my parents neighborhood, poles are snapped in half and wires laying on the side of the road. That kind of damage takes time to repair.

Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 AM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Yet it was nowhere near a Cat 4/5 storm. Yet we still have hundreds of thousands without power. Unacceptable.
I have power so it's a different perspective, but in NY it was a tropical storm and they had no power for a month.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:07 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,455,798 times
While doing errands today I saw a long brigade of TECO cranes/trucks lumbering along US 301, S. Hillsborough near Big Bend Road. I flashed w/ with my headlights and gave them thumbs up. They waved and I think appreciated the gesture like the calvary has come to save the day.....

Old 09-13-2017, 12:11 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,205,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Same here. Wonder if having underground utility lines has anything to do with it? Will have to use this as a selling point if I ever sell.
We lost power for about a second and that's it. My entire neighborhood did not loose power at all. But I know we are among the few lucky ones. Definitely, not flooding as much, reclaim water availability for your yard, great schools, and NOW having power during a hurricane is a great way to sell a house, when the time comes .

Old 09-13-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
OP, you can always go and volunteer your extensive knowledge and experience and show them how the job is done right.......
Repairing poles and providing electricity is what we pay TECO for. Too bad they suck at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay