Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:27 AM

62 posts, read 66,440 times

Advertisements

It's not Franklin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 08:17 PM

9 posts, read 11,912 times
Traffic is so horrible in Tampa that we fly to the Bahamas for the weekend to go to the beach. I haven't been to a Florida beach in 5 years...lol...too crowded and congested!

Old 04-22-2018, 05:01 AM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden2 View Post
Traffic is so horrible in Tampa that we fly to the Bahamas for the weekend to go to the beach. I haven't been to a Florida beach in 5 years...lol...too crowded and congested!
Plus the water here is nothing like the Islands

Old 04-22-2018, 10:21 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,020,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madden2 View Post
I needa get a job where you work.

Old 04-26-2018, 03:26 PM

62 posts, read 66,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1199 View Post
Hi all,
Newer to the area. I have lived in several other states, and I'm confused by one thing here.
Hopefully someone can give me some insight!
Every major metro area has a city with "the industry."
Phoenix for example - most commute IN THE AM from Gilbert, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Peoria, etc *ALL* to Downtown Phx for the "industry/downtown" jobs. Large companies, bank jobs, finance jobs, etc.
So from 7am to 10am. This is your typical "9-5" job for most people.
Then, in the afternoon, from 3pm-7pm, they ALL head *BACK* to the suburbs!
Of course traffic in AM headed TOWARD downtown, and in PM headed FROM downtown - is horrible! Stop and go! But, traffic the OPPOSITE ways often isn't too bad!

Now in this case, Tampa... Tampa has all the industry of course. Naturally, I realize people commute from Pinellas then also East of Tampa (Lakeland, Brandon) *TO* Downtown Tampa in the AM....
Howard Franklin bridge Northbound, and I-4 Westbound from Lakeland to Tampa support this...
Then, in the afternoon, people commute BACK to the suburbs.
I-275 Southbound to Pinellas, and especially I-4 Eastbound are just HORRIBLE!!!

*Now, my question is this, why (lately) has I-275 Northbound on Howard Franklin between 2-5pm, when "by my logic" virtually NOBODY should be headed into Tampa, been completey stop and go, taking a crazy amount of time to complete this journey????
Everyone getting ready for their 5pm shifts at Banks, Insurance Companies, Healthcare Companies, and major industries?? Lol, these places aren't open in the evening!!!

Is it ALWAYS going to be like this??

Many thanks for any insight as to WHY this occurs! I'm naturally curious and want answers!
There's a lot going on in St. Pete daily ... it's not just a suburb of Tampa. People commute both ways.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:52 AM

490 posts, read 584,368 times
The industry in coastal Florida is tourism and retirees. The hours are flexible, many don't know where they are going and that can cause hell on the roads at any hour. This area is a service industry too. Walmart and the waffle house don't care if its Christmas or 3 AM in July.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:34 AM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
It has been called the "Frankenstein" for decades for good reason.

Old 05-09-2018, 02:27 PM

1,790 posts, read 1,414,037 times
It was a Frankestein when I lived in Largo, and worked in Tampa in the late 70's, early 80's, there was one bridge and 4 lanes and at the beginning, NO barrier between W and E Traffic. Head on Collisions where the order of EVERY day and you were stuck in there for hrs with not yet a cell phone to call work, or your loved ones .

Today traffic is a BEAR, but The FRANKLAND was never any better !!! Remember that sometimes The Old Times were NOT necessarily better than today.

Old 05-09-2018, 03:14 PM

32 posts, read 26,868 times
We got stuck on this bridge during our house hunting trip and it reminded us of DC traffic.

Old 05-09-2018, 04:24 PM

30,433 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammocks Bum View Post
It was a Frankestein when I lived in Largo, and worked in Tampa in the late 70's, early 80's, there was one bridge and 4 lanes and at the beginning, NO barrier between W and E Traffic. Head on Collisions where the order of EVERY day and you were stuck in there for hrs with not yet a cell phone to call work, or your loved ones .

Today traffic is a BEAR, but The FRANKLAND was never any better !!! Remember that sometimes The Old Times were NOT necessarily better than today.
It was a nitemare since the 60's. I was happy when they starting drilling the test pilings for the new bridge in 1985 since i used it a lot when i was fishing offshore back in them days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay