Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 12:13 AM

834 posts, read 528,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
No, pro sports are more popular in cities where the teams are good and the management spends money to show the fan base they're for real.
The Rays are good and the owners pay the proper percentage of revenue on the team payroll. Lack of support from Tampa residents are the problem. This isn't even remotely debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 11:07 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
The Rays are good and the owners pay the proper percentage of revenue on the team payroll. Lack of support from Tampa residents are the problem. This isn't even remotely debatable.
I think that the demographics that exist here are the real killer when it comes to professional sports. Certainly you could argue this point when it comes to the Lightning, but for a sport like baseball or football that requires attendance numbers in the 40k-60k range there just isn’t a cohesive audience for such things.

Why?

Look at the origin of most residents - a very small percentage are natives of the area. Those who come into the area often do so from a city where they had an existing relationship with a major sports team, meaning they’ve already got an alliance and affinity for someone else. It’s tough to make that connection, or break an old one. That’s why you see large turnouts for opposing teams here - just think Packers or Bears fans and you’ll understand what I mean.

I think the demographics of the area play into this far more than any other issue. The “locals” already have a home team that they brought with them, and they’re not about to give it up for the Rays/Bucs, whatever.

RM

Old 12-18-2018, 04:37 PM

78 posts, read 57,856 times
Go Browns!
Go Indians!

Old 12-18-2018, 04:45 PM

361 posts, read 258,976 times
To me, Florida will always be "spring training land". Even though I've lived here since '81, I'll still have emotional ties to my "home team" and would see their spring training warm-ups when I could. I just don't think Florida can overcome that. In addition, an MLB player's salary is nationwide, but ticket prices are local. I don't think you can charge as much for an MLB ticket in Tampa as you do in Chicago or NYC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I think that the demographics that exist here are the real killer when it comes to professional sports. Certainly you could argue this point when it comes to the Lightning, but for a sport like baseball or football that requires attendance numbers in the 40k-60k range there just isn’t a cohesive audience for such things.

Why?

Look at the origin of most residents - a very small percentage are natives of the area. Those who come into the area often do so from a city where they had an existing relationship with a major sports team, meaning they’ve already got an alliance and affinity for someone else. It’s tough to make that connection, or break an old one. That’s why you see large turnouts for opposing teams here - just think Packers or Bears fans and you’ll understand what I mean.

I think the demographics of the area play into this far more than any other issue. The “locals” already have a home team that they brought with them, and they’re not about to give it up for the Rays/Bucs, whatever.

RM

Old 12-18-2018, 08:40 PM

6,417 posts, read 4,911,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I hear people down here discuss this sometimes and honestly I think it is an unfair and smug claim to make, and quite honestly when made, as a former northerner, I will get defensive. Buffalo, Indianapolis, etc. do not necessarily have "less" to do, they just have different offerings.

For example, you mention limited outdoor activities. Take a look around at the city park/trail system in a Buffalo, or Indianapolis etc., and you will be stunned. There is a massive active culture there regarding sport clubs, hiking, biking, etc. There are also water sports during warm months, but then there are winter sports during the cold weather months, as well as varied other cultural/historic, social/urban, and yes sporting pursuits. In some ways, on levels that people in Tampa don't necessarily have, but perhaps Tampa has different offerings too (beach, water sports, it's own various things around town, and certainly more of a shopping mall culture than up north). I always shake my head when people talk about how people have "so much more", because the reality is outside of a few certain places (and I don't think this area is one of them), many go back and forth in a continuous cycle between shopping outlets, work, church, school, home. Also-while it's true up north winters are a 4-5 month stretch where it's quite cold and people stay in more, it's also true that Florida has at least a 5-6 (and increasingly of late, 7-8) month stretch where in general, people just cycle back and forth between air conditioned malls, cars and houses), which I'd say would balance out. I think people always want what they don't have, and I have talked to not a small number of transplants that say that to them, the summer down here is as bad or worse as northern winters.

Do people from up north generally follow their teams with more fervor? Certainly. But it has less to do with not having things to do, and more to do with the type of loyalty that sports (and other local civic and cultural organizations) inspire on average, up there. More people are from there, and there is more of that sense of loyalty to community then as a result that causes people to participate more and be more "civically engaged". There is actually reports on this as it corresponds to politics, and Minneapolis (which most with sense wouldn't ever accuse of being a boring place) is rated as the most civically engaged city in the country, with Miami actually ranking last on that very same list.
I lived in freezing Buffalo for 62 years. When I was younger I loved to play outside and go sledding, make snowmen, throw snowballs at cars etc. When I got older I no longer cared for outdoor winter activities. There is less to do in Buffalo than a warm weather city where you can go outside all year round. I will take Florida's hot summers to Buffalo's cold winters any day. I rarely watch sports on TV especially on TV since its nice and pleasant outside. Its 29 in Buffalo now and in the 50's here at 10:30PM. Way more to do simply for the fact its nice outside. Its also much sunnier here. Buffalo is one of the cloudier cities in the USA. Florida is much sunnier and you feel better just being here.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:48 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,076,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

Why?

RM
I used to love baseball but stadium attendance is just too expensive. Televised games are cheaper and when there is a blackout or it's on a pay channel I don't get, well I'll read the scores and see the highlights online.

Old 12-19-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I used to love baseball but stadium attendance is just too expensive. Televised games are cheaper and when there is a blackout or it's on a pay channel I don't get, well I'll read the scores and see the highlights online.
Plus food is cheaper and you can go to the bathroom and don't have to wait in line.

RM

Old 12-19-2018, 04:53 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,019,803 times
Guess he'll have to settle for small ball now. Suckerrrrrr!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-19-2018, 08:41 PM

46 posts, read 218,986 times
You guys trying to push the pro sports teams out of the area aren't very bright. Having pro sports helps lure high paying corporations to the area and these corporations also use the games to recruit clients. If the Bucs and Rays go bye bye, you'll see an eventual negative effect for the business climate here.

Old 12-20-2018, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanin502 View Post
You guys trying to push the pro sports teams out of the area aren't very bright. Having pro sports helps lure high paying corporations to the area and these corporations also use the games to recruit clients. If the Bucs and Rays go bye bye, you'll see an eventual negative effect for the business climate here.
Not hardly. The presence of pro sports teams is not a deal breaker. Does it enhance things? Sure. But no major corporations that is interested in relocating here is going to make a decision based on whether or not we have professional sports. Especially when you factor in the "sun and fun" aspect of the area.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay