Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 07:39 AM

403 posts, read 1,193,105 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Wesley Chapel in a week and need to get my internet (and TV) providers figured out. When I lived in Tampa before, I had FIOS.. Looks like that might be Frontier now?

How is Frontier service? I'm assuming its fiber? And how is their TV service? Vs Spectrum for internet (and i'd do DirecTV with Spectrum). Any insight to either?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2019, 06:18 PM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Frontier will scam you out of every penny they can get, in my opinion. That doesn't make Spectrum much better, but Spectrum's service and support is light years better than Frontier.

RM

Old 05-27-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Frontier will scam you out of every penny they can get, in my opinion. That doesn't make Spectrum much better, but Spectrum's service and support is light years better than Frontier.

RM
Thanks.. Two devils to choose from unfortunately.

Old 05-27-2019, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingGuy View Post
Thanks.. Two devils to choose from unfortunately.
True, but Spectrum is trying hard to hammer Frontier, so they work pretty hard at customer service. Frontier still retains the vestiges of the "We're the phone company" attitude, so making appointments and not showing up, then denying that they were even made to begin with is pretty common for them. My boss was stood up by Frontier THREE times, every time they claimed there was no appointment in the system. He had Spectrum service within a day or two of the last stand-up by Frontier.

I won't go into detail, but in my case I came off contract from Verizon/FIOS shortly after Frontier came into the market. I spoke to them about negotiating a new contract, which we did, and it allegedly reduced my monthly bill with all the new "discounts" they were giving me.

Little did I know that my bill would increase under this new arrangement, as they ghosted all the "administrative fees" and other little nickel and dime charges they tack on.

When I confronted them about this after my first bill they wanted to "try and work out a better deal for me."

Uh, guys, you had the opportunity to do that before. No second chances.

I pulled the plug on Frontier and within a week had Spectrum service installed and running. There were some issues that were related to premise wiring that I had within the first week with Spectrum, but they still came out and fixed them, no charge, and in both situations were there the next day.

Yes, there's no perfect arrangement except dumping them all if that were possible, but I've found Spectrum to be the lesser of two evils for now.

RM

Old 05-27-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
True, but Spectrum is trying hard to hammer Frontier, so they work pretty hard at customer service. Frontier still retains the vestiges of the "We're the phone company" attitude, so making appointments and not showing up, then denying that they were even made to begin with is pretty common for them. My boss was stood up by Frontier THREE times, every time they claimed there was no appointment in the system. He had Spectrum service within a day or two of the last stand-up by Frontier.

I won't go into detail, but in my case I came off contract from Verizon/FIOS shortly after Frontier came into the market. I spoke to them about negotiating a new contract, which we did, and it allegedly reduced my monthly bill with all the new "discounts" they were giving me.

Little did I know that my bill would increase under this new arrangement, as they ghosted all the "administrative fees" and other little nickel and dime charges they tack on.

When I confronted them about this after my first bill they wanted to "try and work out a better deal for me."

Uh, guys, you had the opportunity to do that before. No second chances.

I pulled the plug on Frontier and within a week had Spectrum service installed and running. There were some issues that were related to premise wiring that I had within the first week with Spectrum, but they still came out and fixed them, no charge, and in both situations were there the next day.

Yes, there's no perfect arrangement except dumping them all if that were possible, but I've found Spectrum to be the lesser of two evils for now.

RM
All very helpful info! Thank you. Spectrum will get my call tomorrow.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:57 AM

1,424 posts, read 1,280,272 times
Have fun with that Spectrum receiver that they require everyone to have.

And expect to see "Your TV will be right with You" quite a bit as you reboot it.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:54 AM

In fairness I will say that some of the Spectrum products are not as user friendly as Frontier’s.

I haven’t experienced any issues of significance with Spectrum in the year or so I’ve had them, but I will say that I miss the FIOS “whole house” DVR. With Spectrum’s setup you get DVR functions with each set top box, but it’s unique to that TV, which can be a PITA. You have to remember to add the program to multiple TVs if you want to watch it in more than one room.

RM

Old 05-28-2019, 12:44 PM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
spectrum has better service but worse product(s)
frontier has better product(s) but worse service
take yur pick
both of them suck

Old 05-28-2019, 01:24 PM

390 posts, read 396,922 times
We went with Spectrum over Frontier. Seems to be the more reliable service in our area, too, as our community's FB page seemed to complain of frequent Frontier outages. We did have an issue with one of our receiver boxes getting fried during a storm but went in to the local Spectrum office and swapped it out without issue and never had an issue after that. I even commented to my husband that it was the best experience I'd ever had with a cable company as everywhere else we'd ever gone had us standing in line and/or sitting around forever. With Spectrum we were able to just walk right up to the counter, explain the issue, and walk out with a new box in just minutes.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:31 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
spectrum has better service but worse product(s)
frontier has better product(s) but worse service
take yur pick
both of them suck
OTA- HD for me and it is free lee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay