Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 11:14 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times

Advertisements

I remember when I was a kid the Downtown was pretty bustling. There was even a nice Maas Brothers, and quite a bit of pedestrian activity. It's sad to see the changes, but the new businesses and the streetscaping improvements are a hopeful sign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 11:31 AM

428 posts, read 416,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I think there was a lady who died back in the mid 90's from a lung disease. The Church did not murder her.

People need to go to downtown Clearwater and support all the new businesses opening up.

This is spreading misinformation, regarding documented cases of abuse. Stop.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:18 PM

210 posts, read 271,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
I remember when I was a kid the Downtown was pretty bustling. There was even a nice Maas Brothers, and quite a bit of pedestrian activity. It's sad to see the changes, but the new businesses and the streetscaping improvements are a hopeful sign.
Remember the lunch counter in that Maas brothers? That was a favorite after school stop. Now I feel old.

Old 10-22-2019, 04:26 PM

85 posts, read 85,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
I think there was a lady who died back in the mid 90's from a lung disease. The Church did not murder her.

People need to go to downtown Clearwater and support all the new businesses opening up.
I didn't think you guys were allowed to be on the internet...?

Old 10-22-2019, 05:47 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcharas View Post
This is spreading misinformation, regarding documented cases of abuse. Stop.
They're probably talking about Lisa McPherson, who was, well, for lack of a better description, kill by withholding medical attention by Scientology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Lisa_McPherson

Lea Remini's show on this cult is excellent watching. She tears them a new rear end in every episode. The one that creeped me out the worst was the one where she and Mike Rinder go and sit in a park in downtown Clearwater and the Church calls the cops on them for being there. The worst part about this is it certainly appears that that cops are in on it as well...

I have a friend who has lived in Crestline, CA for years, a place where Miscavage's wife is allegedly locked up. He said he saw her out in the town a few weeks ago with a couple of "keepers" on both sides of her. Said she looked pretty bad, and really out of it.

RM

Old 10-22-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterParkLocal View Post
Remember the lunch counter in that Maas brothers? That was a favorite after school stop. Now I feel old.

Yes, my Grandmother loved taking me there! Make me feel old too, but not too old.

Old 10-22-2019, 09:30 PM

428 posts, read 416,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
They're probably talking about Lisa McPherson, who was, well, for lack of a better description, kill by withholding medical attention by Scientology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Lisa_McPherson

Lea Remini's show on this cult is excellent watching. She tears them a new rear end in every episode. The one that creeped me out the worst was the one where she and Mike Rinder go and sit in a park in downtown Clearwater and the Church calls the cops on them for being there. The worst part about this is it certainly appears that that cops are in on it as well...

I have a friend who has lived in Crestline, CA for years, a place where Miscavage's wife is allegedly locked up. He said he saw her out in the town a few weeks ago with a couple of "keepers" on both sides of her. Said she looked pretty bad, and really out of it.

RM

Yes, I'm aware.

There are countless allegations against the cult for their abuses.

That poster should take the attempt to spread PR for the group elsewhere... Supporting abusive practices by a sham organization really doesn't belong here.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 PM

656 posts, read 1,375,446 times
They are Tampa Bay's version of the Taliban. They are definitely above the law, ask any Clearwater cop about Scientology and Domestic Violence. They can't go near them

Old 10-22-2019, 11:44 PM

65 posts, read 44,227 times
Go walk down there and try to take some pics. They are creepy AF. As a local I've heard some weird stories. That area is just something you laugh at while driving to the actual beach.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Yeah, I've seen several episodes of her expose and I agree with you MR, they were riveting and extremely well done.

I personally don't consider them a legitimate religious organization by any stretch, it's an extremely odd cult in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay