Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 07:03 AM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times

Advertisements

I figured I'd post this as a separate thread instead of adding it onto my other ones because it would get more replies. I'm generally not the type of person to just.. take a drive for sightseeing purposes. But given that it's all I have access to at the moment.. When in Rome? Lol.

Where in Tampa do you really enjoy or are there any particular good routes? Any good places to park the car in the vicinity or drive around to for:

-History/Landmarks
-Places where you can drive alongside water
-Nice neighborhoods to drive through
-Particularly hilly areas/nature
-Stargazing/Any other roads of interest?

I'm thinking the first two could potentially be accomplished by just doing a loop of the Bay Area at this point (the bridges, Tampa and St. Petersburg)-something I could probably do astonishingly quickly now looping 75, Selmon, and back on 275

I have some ideas too for the other ones (Old Northeast/Hyde Park/Dade City), and I'm thinking perhaps of driving down to some other areas like looping around Cape Coral at some point, or inland to the Lake Wales Ridge, esp. at night.

Hiking isn't off limits everywhere either.. but since state parks, beaches, and in my eyes effectively, major metropolitan parks, are shut down for now.. sorta relegated to my neighborhood and local community parks and certain rural nature preserves (i.e. potentially doing a day on the Florida Trail at some point at our local section).

How else are you guys holding up? I know drive-in theaters are making a come back... and well.. Tiger King. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 08:46 AM

417 posts, read 267,523 times
A good idea CAVSFAN. Get out of the house and see Florida if only from a car.

~You could head East for a drive in the country (Try Highway 39 going North from Plant City to Hwy 301, turn West on 52).

~Go to the top parking floor of the Airport for a great view (plus it's free parking for I think the first 30 min). Great view of the area. Watch the aircraft landing departing.

~Hopefully without giving away any secrets and ruining a good thing, we spent a couple lunches along the Pinellas beach side (Gulf Blvd.) by grabbing take out (supporting local restaurants) and finding a place to park with a nice view of the water. Take some Folding chairs and have a picnic.

There is a lot you can do while doing this social distance thing, but the best is still outside.

Stay safe and enjoy life!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:49 AM

529 posts, read 1,174,235 times
We have taken a few drives, as well. I was surprised at the area around Sims Park in New Port Richey and the drive along the river. NPR is trying to reinvent their old downtown area. I’ll be keeping an eye on it. (Yes, I have been around enough to know the area )

Lakeland is another nice drive. Just looping around the Historic District and the myriad lakes was a day made for a convertible. Again, many of my memories of Florida towns are from the 60’s/70’s, so seeing them with new eyes is quite enjoyable.

Dax

Almost forgot! County Rd 42 is a great drive across Central Florida. From just north of The Villages on 441, head east on 42 to 19 and then down south. You can meander your way home however you want. Maybe through Mt Dora, then along the lake to Tavares and the SeaPlane base, down thru Yalaha and down to the turnpike. 42 is a GREAT run with some twists and turns through old citrus groves and along a ridge that makes it seem like Florida has substantial hillsides. :-).

Last edited by Dax13; 03-29-2020 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: 42

Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 PM

Try this link, Cav.
[url=“www.florida-backroads-travel.com/central-west-florida-day-trips.html"]

Looks promising.
Dax

Arghhhh. Can’t get the link to link.

Last edited by Dax13; 03-29-2020 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 PM

185 posts, read 170,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dax13 View Post
Try this link, Cav.
[url=“www.florida-backroads-travel.com/central-west-florida-day-trips.html"]

Looks promising.
Dax

Arghhhh. Can’t get the link to link.

Linked it for ya

https://www.florida-backroads-travel...day-trips.html

Old 03-30-2020, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYmikef View Post
Thanks!

Dax

Old 03-30-2020, 09:06 AM

982 posts, read 607,980 times
Thank you for starting this thread and all the useful information! We need to take a road trip

Old 03-30-2020, 09:27 AM

Not sure if they are still open, but Wildlife Watersports in Cocoa Beach rents 2-person Electric CraigCats. During Spring Break, we headed down with a small cooler of ice, water, and two wraps in a SubSafe, a waterproof IPhone case, and a dry sack with a Bluetooth speaker and trail mix. For under $150, we spent 4 hours puttering on the Indian River, watching dolphins, looking at the houses, listening to the music, and just generally enjoying the isolation. We are very aware of all CDC guidelines and felt very comfortable with this. Not our first time, nor or last.

Dax

Old 04-02-2020, 03:21 PM

5,024 posts, read 5,667,412 times
So do the changes of the past couple days impact anything as far as taking a drive? Or being at a park or sidewalk so long as it was previously open, and so long as you stay separate from others? I’m not sure if social distancing activities like that are still allowed or if I’m literally only allowed to leave house for groceries now. It wasn’t entirely clear. I definitely want to do what I can to stop the spread.. at the same time, jogging on empty sidewalk or taking a drive seems to be a no risk activity effectively, where, do as we will, grocery shopping makes me feel increasingly more a need to be cautious.

Old 04-06-2020, 01:24 PM

48 posts, read 34,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
So do the changes of the past couple days impact anything as far as taking a drive? Or being at a park or sidewalk so long as it was previously open, and so long as you stay separate from others? I’m not sure if social distancing activities like that are still allowed or if I’m literally only allowed to leave house for groceries now. It wasn’t entirely clear. I definitely want to do what I can to stop the spread.. at the same time, jogging on empty sidewalk or taking a drive seems to be a no risk activity effectively, where, do as we will, grocery shopping makes me feel increasingly more a need to be cautious.
I've driven around countlessly you'll be fine. Have parked walked yada yada, plus when I drive around I have NJ plates cops don't bother you.

Also you are allowed to go for exercise as it was in other states, meaning a walk for you, or a jog, or any other activity you deem as exercise just keep your distance. When I went to downtown Tampa, there were a lot of people by the riverwalk jogging, riding bikes, walking.

Lastly, a few days ago in Saratoga found out private beaches are basically open, met a guy there who spend the whole day on the private side of the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay