Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2022, 07:26 AM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Question for those who pay a monthly/quarterly service to keep the bugs out of their house/yard. How much do you pay and how frequently are you paying for those types of services? We have a quarterly pest service here in Indiana and we're paying about $100-$120.
I mentioned this in a previous post, but if you have the 'tubes in the walls" typically known as "Pest Defense" the treatments are quarterly and around $130. We love it as you don't have any chemicals being sprayed around the house (except the exterior) and you NEVER see a bug - at least that's been our experience with two homes here using the system in 25 years.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2022, 08:28 AM

983 posts, read 608,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
I mentioned this in a previous post, but if you have the 'tubes in the walls" typically known as "Pest Defense" the treatments are quarterly and around $130. We love it as you don't have any chemicals being sprayed around the house (except the exterior) and you NEVER see a bug - at least that's been our experience with two homes here using the system in 25 years.

RM
Hello, can you explain how they install the tubes and do you think this could work with a mobile home?

Old 01-19-2022, 08:30 AM

101 posts, read 171,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
Hello, can you explain how they install the tubes and do you think this could work with a mobile home?
The tubes are generally installed when the house is under construction and not afterwards, though I suppose with breaking holes in the drywall, it could be done, similar to re-piping a house's water lines.

I don't think that is a good option for mobile homes since the tubes are contained between the walls, though that would depend on the construction of your mobile home. For you, I would just spray the home 1 time a month along the baseboards and between all the appliances. Spread granules outside as a barrier around the base of the home.

Old 01-19-2022, 09:24 AM

112 posts, read 135,135 times
Quote:
Question for those who pay a monthly/quarterly service to keep the bugs out of their house/yard. How much do you pay and how frequently are you paying for those types of services? We have a quarterly pest service here in Indiana and we're paying about $100-$120.
I pay $80 quarterly for home (interior and exterior) pest service. I do not pay for lawn/yard service, however. I do spray the yard with a hose attached pest spray if I start to see pests, but that is probably only a few times a year. I also fog the outside for mosquitos a couple of times a month in the summer, but that is more for my wife as they do not bother me (I don't itch or swell up when they bite me).

Old 01-19-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post
The tubes are generally installed when the house is under construction and not afterwards, though I suppose with breaking holes in the drywall, it could be done, similar to re-piping a house's water lines.

I don't think that is a good option for mobile homes since the tubes are contained between the walls, though that would depend on the construction of your mobile home. For you, I would just spray the home 1 time a month along the baseboards and between all the appliances. Spread granules outside as a barrier around the base of the home.
Thank you!!

Old 01-19-2022, 01:16 PM

5,978 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuttzie View Post
This is plastic tubing that's around 2 mm in diameter and installed in the walls much like you might run electrical wiring. The tubing is porous, and tubes from each wall section or cavity are run to a common point on the side of the house where they are accessible under a service cover. The "bug guy" will connect his equipment to the tubes at the service port on the exterior wall and "inject" what is most likely boric acid into the tubes under pressure. The size of the house in square footage dictates the amount of material they apply.

There is nothing that would indicate this has taken place inside the house. No odor, noise, etc.

I've had several homes with this system (Pest Defense) and rarely have I ever seen a bug inside the house. And if you do, they will come out and "spot treat" any areas where you might see one fo no additional charge.

RM

Old 01-19-2022, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
This is plastic tubing that's around 2 mm in diameter and installed in the walls much like you might run electrical wiring. The tubing is porous, and tubes from each wall section or cavity are run to a common point on the side of the house where they are accessible under a service cover. The "bug guy" will connect his equipment to the tubes at the service port on the exterior wall and "inject" what is most likely boric acid into the tubes under pressure. The size of the house in square footage dictates the amount of material they apply.

There is nothing that would indicate this has taken place inside the house. No odor, noise, etc.

I've had several homes with this system (Pest Defense) and rarely have I ever seen a bug inside the house. And if you do, they will come out and "spot treat" any areas where you might see one fo no additional charge.

RM
Thank you so much for this detailed post, very helpful. I had no idea this type of service was available.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:23 PM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Is Tampa full yet? lol. I'm kidding, sort of. I know Florida has experienced a huge influx of people in the past few years and I'm aware that Tampa is a hot spot.

My wife and two boys (4&6) and I are considering relocating to Tampa later this year. We were initially debating between Houston and Tampa but I think the scales have tipped and we're only seriously considering Tampa now.

Why move to Tampa after living in the midwest most of our lives? Well, simply put community is important to us (since we don't live close to family) and there's a well established church in our network that we want to attend. Additionally we can't find a good church (in our network) where we live now and my wife is struggling to find a good homeschooling network for herself and our kids. After considering Texas (and eventually deciding to pass) we've felt like Florida is probably the only good option at this point.

A couple things us...
-Like I mentioned above my wife homeschools our kids and really wants to find a good homeschooling community

-We're relatively conservative from a political standpoint

-We're supporters of healthcare freedom (not a fan of mandates)

-My wife and kids love Disney so being close to Orlando is a big plus
-Being near the beach is a big plus for my kids and wife as well
-I work remotely so we can live anywhere with good internet access

Things we're not looking forward too...
-All the additional bugs, especially the mosquitos for me since I'm blood type O
-Snakes (my wife is terrified of them). I don't think they're as common as you'd find in Texas though, right?
-Cost of insurance and generally more expensive COL (do people use insurance brokerage companies for car & home insurance? I use one here in Indiana to find cheap/good insurance, would be open to suggestions though)
-Traffic. I've heard it's terrible in Tampa now. We did a beach day at Indian Rocks beach last spring and the traffic added an additional hour and fifteen minutes to our commute back to our hotel. I guess it won't be getting better anytime soon. Oy!

My guess is that at this point Tampa has become quite a transplant destination. I know the housing market is insane, but assuming we move I plan on renting for the next year and staying with our rental company (we can switch properties without too much hassle and they have a number of available single family homes in Tampa, granted they're pricey).

Anyone have suggestions on where to live? Thoughts on the bugs/snakes/critters (does everyone just pay companies to spray their yards for roaches, etc.)? General advice about relocating? Is there still room for one more family? lol.

Also, people coming from lower COL states how do you feel the general cost of day to day living has changed? As in, I've seen posts about how expensive groceries are in florida? Are people spending like significantly more to buy a weeks worth of groceries? Curious.

We're taking a quick trip down there at the beginning of February to visit the church we want to attend and get a feel for the area. Thanks in advance everyone!

Stay home, do yourself a favor.

It will not be better, just the weather will be.

I tell you this as a friend and because I am looking at the midwest myself because costs are so out of control here now. Don't be surprised if you get here and you find yourself doing the same. Its so not worth living here anymore for what you get, how expensive it is, and how rude most of the people are. Remember, you're still coming to the south, just altered with more northern transplants.

Florida keeps dragging me back like an EX who promises me that it will be better this time, and it isn't.

I got a story for you. Someone I once knew in St Pete, left for Cleveland OH partially for a job but it was his home too.. a gay guy as well. He told me he was glad that he did it. So someone left St Pete for Cleveland OH happily, Imagine that huh?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even for my own life, if I could it differently I would. I would have kept going north when I left South Carolina and not come here.

Old 01-19-2022, 07:36 PM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
We are a family of 3, and our grocery bill last week was $170, so we pay just about $700 a month for groceries. Our eating habits have not changed really at all, but we used to pay about $110 for the exact same grocery list in 2016.

For some perspective, we paid $80,000 for our 3 bedroom house in 2015, and essentially the identical house across the alley just sold for $330,000, which represents a massive price increase.

Granted, inflation is not a local problem. It is a national problem. However, the Tampa metro area appears to be leading the nation in inflation and is also near the top of migration trends, so the cost of things is going through the roof here even more than most other places. I'm a registered Democrat, and even I feel like screaming out "let's go Brandon" some days. The current administration has really put the country in a bad place. Tampa just seems to be a more pronounced example of what is happening everywhere else as far as I can tell.

I can tell you this, Biden is not responsible for the housing increases in FL. And is DeSantis 100%, probably not. But Trump sure as hell is. Chump is responsible for all these NUTS moving down here in droves and driving up the costs. Littering on the roads and making it a hell hole in and around Tampa. Chump is causing lower to middle income people to go homeless in droves. Unless he is eliminated, there is no chance for FL to be and get better.

I got a preview of this FIVE years ago when I was living in Sarasota. What was to come. It was the Alternate 1985 in the making but Tampa now in 2022, select other southern metro areas as well like Columbia SC is living in The literal Alternate 1985. Take a look around, go out at night time. Even go out in the day its just the Alt 1985 had most of its scenes at night time.

Do you really want this for your future??? and is Joe Biden the worst president ever?? the answer is no.

Old 01-20-2022, 05:54 AM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
Stay home, do yourself a favor.

It will not be better, just the weather will be.

I tell you this as a friend and because I am looking at the midwest myself because costs are so out of control here now. Don't be surprised if you get here and you find yourself doing the same. Its so not worth living here anymore for what you get, how expensive it is, and how rude most of the people are. Remember, you're still coming to the south, just altered with more northern transplants.

Florida keeps dragging me back like an EX who promises me that it will be better this time, and it isn't.

I got a story for you. Someone I once knew in St Pete, left for Cleveland OH partially for a job but it was his home too.. a gay guy as well. He told me he was glad that he did it. So someone left St Pete for Cleveland OH happily, Imagine that huh?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but even for my own life, if I could it differently I would. I would have kept going north when I left South Carolina and not come here.
I hear what you're saying and I understand the risks involved. We've lived in high COL places before. When we moved from Nashville to Chicago people said, don't do it! The taxes in Illinois are insane, you'll regret moving! We did it anyways. Only lived there 2.5yrs but it was worth it for the time we were there. This move is about finding community, specifically a good church community. It's nice living in a low COL area but when you have no close friends is it really enjoyable? Maybe we won't move, maybe we will. A lot can happen in the next few months. If COL is your only concern then yes I would move to the Midwest (and I say that will all sincerity having grown up in Ohio).

Last edited by Kluch; 01-20-2022 at 06:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay