Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2022, 11:58 AM

11 posts, read 12,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Great info MortonR. I've seen you post a number of times in the Indiana forums. It's tough because, like you mentioned, a number of COL related things ARE significantly more expensive in Florida. We don't mind the 4 seasons climate of Indiana/the midwest, but as much as we love the small town feel of Franklin it has been tough finding a great community we enjoy here. My wife and I lived in Nashville (TN) for about 6 years and got a taste of southern humidity. We'll just have to adjust to that. If I think of other specific questions I'll reach out. Thanks again.

Did you end up not liking Nashville? Currently thinking about Tampa and Nashville as possible places to relocate to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2022, 12:54 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,008,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeck18 View Post
Did you end up not liking Nashville? Currently thinking about Tampa and Nashville as possible places to relocate to.

Are you the same one who's posted in the city vs city forum area? I replied to that thread with my input. I think Nashville is great for a young professional. We are choosing Tampa (FL) for very specific reasons. I spent 6 years in Nashville (roughly) and it was a life changing experience, mostly for the better (though it was eye opening, I say that as someone who plays music and was involved off/on in the industry). It has changed a lot since I lived there though. It's a great city for many reasons but, like anywhere it has its downsides (traffic is terrible but it's just as bad in Tampa so... ya). We (my wife and I) left Nashville for a number of reasons at the time specific to our situation (we wanted to be closer to family, many of our friends had moved away to be close to their families, etc.). I think both cities are fine. COL will probably be somewhat cheaper there since TN hasn't seen the growth FL has in the last few years (though Nashville has been growing like gangbusters) and you're not right next to the gulf/coast. You probably should visit both if you haven't been to either lately. Nashville will probably feel "younger" than Tampa will. It has a very "young", "hip" vibe to it. My wife and I found it transient at times (young professionals coming/going, lots of different friend groups). But that's simply because young professionals often move around a lot and then have life happen and have to adjust accordingly (like us, we had two kids and wanted to be close to family). That's my .02 cents. If you need the beach go with Tampa, otherwise I'd choose Nashville as young professional.

Old 01-24-2022, 03:50 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,282,844 times
Quote:
Are you the same one who's posted in the city vs city forum area?
That was his first post unless he's wearing a sock.

Old 01-24-2022, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lluvia View Post
That was his first post unless he's wearing a sock.
Lol, true. I see that now. My bad.

Old 06-09-2022, 02:34 PM

346 posts, read 308,925 times
Quote:
I hear what you're saying and I understand the risks involved. We've lived in high COL places before. When we moved from Nashville to Chicago people said, don't do it! The taxes in Illinois are insane, you'll regret moving! We did it anyways. Only lived there 2.5yrs but it was worth it for the time we were there. This move is about finding community, specifically a good church community. It's nice living in a low COL area but when you have no close friends is it really enjoyable? Maybe we won't move, maybe we will. A lot can happen in the next few months. If COL is your only concern then yes I would move to the Midwest (and I say that will all sincerity having grown up in Ohio).

You know something, you're correct now looking back. I think i cheated myself all these years.

Old 06-09-2022, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLeggedOne View Post
You know something, you're correct now looking back. I think i cheated myself all these years.
Cheated yourself? What do you mean?

Old 06-13-2022, 03:56 PM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:

Things we're not looking forward too...
Regarding bugs.

One of my neighbors early last year (March) moved here from Northern Calif to escape the "homeless camps, high taxes, wildfires and closed schools".

A couple months after he and his family (him, his wife, 3 kids) moved here, I was working in my front yard and he comes over and says to me, "Are the bugs always this bad? My kids can't be outside without being eaten up [by the mosquitoes]."

To which I replied, "yes they are!"

I then proceeded to watch the guy over a period of months install a cage over his pool, misters that shot out mosquito repellent, citronella torches and he also hired some service called Mosquito Joe. Apparently none of this was working well enough for this guy

A couple months later, again I was in the yard and the guy (who is originally from NC) comes up to me and says "is it always this hot and humid? when does it cool off?"

To which I replied "October".

He was also saying something about how it doesn't get "this hot" in NC until "later" in the year.

Last week he put the house on the MLS. I saw him over the weekend.

"We miss the weather in NorCal too much. I don't know how you Floridians tolerate this heat and the bugs".

After we talked, I went and looked up the forecast in his N Calif. suburb (he's moving right back to his old burb).

Sunny, dry and 75-78 degrees all week. And the next week. And the next week after that.

I guess "homeless camps, high taxes, wildfires and closed schools" are better than sweltering Florida

Last edited by sinatras; 06-13-2022 at 04:04 PM..

Old 06-13-2022, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Regarding bugs.

One of my neighbors early last year (March) moved here from Northern Calif to escape the "homeless camps, high taxes, wildfires and closed schools".

A couple months after he and his family (him, his wife, 3 kids) moved here, I was working in my front yard and he comes over and says to me, "Are the bugs always this bad? My kids can't be outside without being eaten up [by the mosquitoes]."

To which I replied, "yes they are!"

I then proceeded to watch the guy over a period of months install a cage over his pool, misters that shot out mosquito repellent, citronella torches and he also hired some service called Mosquito Joe. Apparently none of this was working well enough for this guy

A couple months later, again I was in the yard and the guy (who is originally from NC) comes up to me and says "is it always this hot and humid? when does it cool off?"

To which I replied "October".

He was also saying something about how it doesn't get "this hot" in NC until "later" in the year.

Last week he put the house on the MLS. I saw him over the weekend.

"We miss the weather in NorCal too much. I don't know how you Floridians tolerate this heat and the bugs".

After we talked, I went and looked up the forecast in his N Calif. suburb (he's moving right back to his old burb).

Sunny, dry and 75-78 degrees all week. And the next week. And the next week after that.

I guess "homeless camps, high taxes, wildfires and closed schools" are better than sweltering Florida
We'll, good news is we could never even consider moving to California. My wife and I have lived in the Midwest and southeast our entire lives.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:42 AM

4,480 posts, read 3,849,852 times
Quote:
We'll, good news is we could never even consider moving to California. My wife and I have lived in the Midwest and southeast our entire lives.
The Californians, they are accustomed to eating "al fresco"/outdoors year-round without worrying about humidity or bugs. They do not adjust to Florida easily.

In fact, many people move to Florida from all over and have a hard time adjusting to the humidity and bugs. And many go back where they came from.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
The Californians, they are accustomed to eating "al fresco"/outdoors year-round without worrying about humidity or bugs. They do not adjust to Florida easily.

In fact, many people move to Florida from all over and have a hard time adjusting to the humidity and bugs. And many go back where they came from.
That doesn't surprise me considering many are coming from climates with low humidity. My wife and I will have to adjust to the bugs and heat somewhat but at least we'll have much closer proximity to beaches (should be end up moving here in the next 6-12 months).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay