Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2023, 04:57 AM

5,980 posts, read 7,390,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zildjiank View Post
99% says some dumbass HVAC company told you to replace it. $10K+ for work right?

An HVAC company recommended that to us saying our ductwork was "leaking." Found out after crawling in the attic they had stepped on the ductwork causing massive leakage. I had them fix it for free- replaced my thermostat instead for $60 and fixed a small leak on the front of my unit for $1K. Problem solved. Don't listen to FL contractors, they're the biggest scam here.
In fairness to contractors, the "ductwork" used in Florida that incorporates fiberboard duct, typically in areas where the flexible ducts are distributed from, are often leaky after a few years of service. This is because the tape that is used to seal the seams and joints breaks down and comes loose.

TECO used to have a remediation program where for something like $50-$75 they would have a contractor come in and use mastic to seal all of these joints. It was messy but quick and in a previous house I owned I had it done and did see some increased efficiency as a result.

With this in mind, do something that costs little and will likely yield measurable results: Get some tubes of latex caulk. Go to each room in the house and uncover any and every penetration in the ceiling. HVAC grilles, light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc. Seal each and every one of these penetrations. Around the edges of the ducts, any and every opening, joint or crack in and around electrical boxes, you name it.

I've done this in every house I've owned, and every time it's made a noticeable difference in energy consumption. There is a tremendous amount of leakage of air from the house into the attic space, and that's all wasted energy. It can be even worse if you have an attic fan, as this can create negative pressure in the attic and cause air to be drawn out through these penetrations from the living space.

It can be a major undertaking, so just work on one room at a time. Do one or two a week and in a month or two you'll have them all sealed up. It costs little but the return on investment is significant.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay