Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 03:48 AM

17 posts, read 28,356 times

Advertisements

New to the area, looking for a good HVAC company to replace original ductwork in my 40+ year old Clearwater home, wondered if anyone could recommend someone? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2022, 04:59 PM

30,395 posts, read 21,215,773 times
Why ya wanna replace it?

Old 10-06-2022, 04:59 PM

The ductwork in my house is a combination of round metal duct and rectangle fiberboard duct, and the round metal duct eventually runs into a fiberboard box just above each ceiling grill. Fiberboard is made of fiberglass particles, it breaks down over time so the air quality in your house will get worse over time as well. Life expectancy of fiberboard is 15-20 years at best. The existing loose filled insulation in my attic is also 20+ years old, it also has a similar life expectancy. I was originally just going to have the ducts cleaned, but the duct cleaning companies said they couldn't safely clean anything made from fiberboard.
So I decided I'll have an insulation company come in to suck out all the old insulation, then will have new ductwork installed, then have all new insulation blown in afterwards. Installing new ductwork in a clean attic void of insulation should simplify that process, and in this day and age you need to have approximately 15" of loose filled insulation to create proper r-value, which is more than double what I presently have.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:04 AM

880 posts, read 563,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haverhill st View Post
The ductwork in my house is a combination of round metal duct and rectangle fiberboard duct, and the round metal duct eventually runs into a fiberboard box just above each ceiling grill. Fiberboard is made of fiberglass particles, it breaks down over time so the air quality in your house will get worse over time as well. Life expectancy of fiberboard is 15-20 years at best. The existing loose filled insulation in my attic is also 20+ years old, it also has a similar life expectancy. I was originally just going to have the ducts cleaned, but the duct cleaning companies said they couldn't safely clean anything made from fiberboard.
So I decided I'll have an insulation company come in to suck out all the old insulation, then will have new ductwork installed, then have all new insulation blown in afterwards. Installing new ductwork in a clean attic void of insulation should simplify that process, and in this day and age you need to have approximately 15" of loose filled insulation to create proper r-value, which is more than double what I presently have.

I think you're smart to have all of the ductwork replaced. I can't recommend anyone for this, as I've never paid someone to do it. The last HVAC company I used was Knights AC, which is local to the Tampa area. They were fantastic, and came quickly. It's a family-owned business.

But I can't vouch for their duct work because I don't know.

I'll also say though that the tape used often fails after less than a decade, and I've watched enough This Old House episodes to know that most of your cooling (and heat in their case) loss comes from leaks in the attic (or basement in their case). Also +1 on the insulation replacement as well.

Old 10-07-2022, 12:46 PM

101 posts, read 170,632 times
We replaced our ductwork in 2021 and it made a huge difference in the air quality and cooling. A friend of mine did it as well with the same company and had the same experience. Definitely recommend them.

Action Air
Phone: (813) 935-6644
Address: 8926 N Armenia Ave, Tampa, FL 33604
David Russell

Old 10-15-2022, 10:11 AM

I'll reach out to Action Air,
Thanks

Old 01-11-2023, 05:06 AM

1 posts, read 1,278 times
Default Air duct cleaning in houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by haverhill st View Post
New to the area, looking for a good HVAC company to replace original ductwork in my 40+ year old Clearwater home, wondered if anyone could recommend someone? Thanks
Statistics from the Association of National Air Duct Cleaners show that the average household collects up to £45. The amount of dirt, dust and allergens in air ducts over the years. As you can see, investing in a professional sewer cleaning service is quite a number and therefore very important.

Sewer cleaning is required to avoid health problems. This can only be found at Pro Attic, which ranks prominently among other sewer cleaning companies.
You may probably be worried about the cost of having your air ducts cleaned? Well, you are in the right place. Here at Pro Attic, we are an accurate representation of pocket-friendly services and cost.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:15 AM

1,209 posts, read 1,424,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Why ya wanna replace it?
Next time your HVAC is running, open a door a crack and see how much air is coming into the house.

Somewhere else, the same amount is going out.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,164 times
New to the area, searching for a decent central air organization to supplant unique ventilation work in my 40+ year old Clearwater home, contemplated whether anybody could suggest somebody? Much obliged

[url]http://proattic.com/[/url]

Old 02-01-2023, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 499 times
99% says some dumbass HVAC company told you to replace it. $10K+ for work right?

An HVAC company recommended that to us saying our ductwork was "leaking." Found out after crawling in the attic they had stepped on the ductwork causing massive leakage. I had them fix it for free- replaced my thermostat instead for $60 and fixed a small leak on the front of my unit for $1K. Problem solved. Don't listen to FL contractors, they're the biggest scam here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay