Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2022, 05:12 PM

368 posts, read 365,117 times

Advertisements

We're looking in this area, coming from Texas. We have no beaches. I'm not an everyday beach person, I'm 61, but we don't mind driving 2 or 3 times a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2022, 07:44 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Clearwater Beach and St. Pete Beach will be about the same travel time at around an hour, without traffic. St. Pete is better in my opinion.

Old 10-13-2022, 05:58 AM

5,975 posts, read 7,365,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
We're looking in this area, coming from Texas. We have no beaches. I'm not an everyday beach person, I'm 61, but we don't mind driving 2 or 3 times a week.
Look at a map and it will be obvious.

Also understand that driving to any beach from Wesley Chapel will be a minimum of an hour each way, mainly due to the traffic. Wesley Chapel is extremely congested as are the areas around it. Both Clearwater and St. Pete beaches will also be full of touristas a god part of the year as well, so expect crowds.

If you're a beachgoer, Wesley Chapel is not the place to be logistically.

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 10-13-2022 at 06:26 AM..

Old 10-13-2022, 06:15 AM

101 posts, read 170,632 times
The other responses are right with about an hours drive. However, if you are close to I-75, consider Pass-a-Grille Beach, just south of St Pete Beach. With the toll road ( I think the toll is .50 or something) it is actually a fast drive because you will be on interstate/ divided highway almost the whole way as opposed to Clearwater where you will be on surface roads. It is a beautiful beach that is less touristy and less crowded than some of the other spots.

Also, from Wesley Chapel, if you head south on I-75 the beaches of north Manatee county are only a bit further.

Old 10-13-2022, 06:52 AM

17,115 posts, read 15,341,895 times
Curious as to why Wesley Chapel if you’re looking to go to the beach 2-3 times a week. Your nearest beaches would probably be the less touristy ones (Honeymoon Island in Dunedin and Fred Howard in Tarpon Springs) and that requires a drive down the lengthy 54, which won’t be long before it makes you insane.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:18 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fajitajamboree View Post
The other responses are right with about an hours drive. However, if you are close to I-75, consider Pass-a-Grille Beach, just south of St Pete Beach. With the toll road ( I think the toll is .50 or something) it is actually a fast drive because you will be on interstate/ divided highway almost the whole way as opposed to Clearwater where you will be on surface roads. It is a beautiful beach that is less touristy and less crowded than some of the other spots.

Also, from Wesley Chapel, if you head south on I-75 the beaches of north Manatee county are only a bit further.
I've been to pass-a-grill quite a bit recently and it's the worst IMO. The beach is super narrow and shelly. And because it's so narrow, people are on top of eachother. There's no room to spread out. And it's crowded. Not sure if we're going to the same beach, but pass-a-grill honestly sucks. I would recommend Upham Beach or just regular old municipal St. Pete beach. Far wider, and nicer beaches.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I've been to pass-a-grill quite a bit recently and it's the worst IMO. The beach is super narrow and shelly. And because it's so narrow, people are on top of eachother. There's no room to spread out. And it's crowded. Not sure if we're going to the same beach, but pass-a-grill honestly sucks. I would recommend Upham Beach or just regular old municipal St. Pete beach. Far wider, and nicer beaches.
Most locals, myself included, consider Pass-a-Grille the best beach in Pinellas County

Old 10-13-2022, 08:17 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,686,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Most locals, myself included, consider Pass-a-Grille the best beach in Pinellas County
Seriously, how? Everytime I go the beach is extremely narrow. The water is literally hitting the stairs you step down to the beach with. You have all of 10 to 12 feet of beach to lay on. I don't get it?

Old 10-13-2022, 12:13 PM

101 posts, read 170,632 times
Quote:
Seriously, how? Everytime I go the beach is extremely narrow. The water is literally hitting the stairs you step down to the beach with. You have all of 10 to 12 feet of beach to lay on. I don't get it?
Maybe we are not talking about the same beach? I've been this summer and certainly did not think it was narrow, at all. Definitely as wide as Madeira or anything north of Johns Pass. For Pass-A-Grille, you take the Pinellas Bayway and then turn left/ south on Pass-A-Grille Way/ Gulf Blvd.

Old 10-13-2022, 04:45 PM

Quote:
It’s narrow, but there’s a solid 100’ of beach. I prefer narrow beaches because that’s how they naturally are here. Places like Clearwater and some of Siesta Key have really wide beaches from all the sand they brought in. I’m not sure if anywhere is wide and natural here, maybe Lido Key.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay