Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2023, 11:48 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
You have a point - it certainly doesn't hurt for folks to be bi-lingual. My dad's first language was Spanish, but he learned and spoke English just fine, as did most of my relatives. He even learned Japanese when he was stationed in Japan. My husband lived his first 9 years in America but his parents moved to Belgium for work and he went to French speaking schools, so he learned and spoke French, and Flemish. Most people there speak several languages.

Everyone should at least attempt to be at least a little bit conversational in the language of the country they are living in.
I agree with all of this. I actually would like to live in Japan for a few years, not only to experience life out there, but also to learn the language. No better way to learn it than to be there and immerse oneself into society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2023, 01:04 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,377,898 times
Direct immersion is one of the best ways to learn a language. I did it courtesy of a former employer, who sent me to a direct immersion school in Costa Rica. Mornings in class, afternoons with the host family who were bilingual but would not speak English to the students.

A little frustrating at times since you knew they could understand you, but the best way to learn, as the context helps a great deal, too.

You know you’ve got it down when you dream in a second language…

-D

Old 03-27-2023, 05:10 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
I agree with all of this. I actually would like to live in Japan for a few years, not only to experience life out there, but also to learn the language. No better way to learn it than to be there and immerse oneself into society.
You can have that cold and crowed place mace.

Old 03-27-2023, 09:49 PM

87 posts, read 142,122 times
because i (an italian/irish/german american boy) spent most of my early teen years hanging out at a local spanish superette, also dating domincan and puerto rican girls (ok, one each), i learned spanish without trying to learn it. i just heard a whole lot of it all the time.

and now I'm very comfortable speaking spanish. i have never...or, very rarely spoken with a non-hispanic person who speaks spanish who can converse in it "naturally". like he was constantly doing internal translation between spanish and english.

when i speak spanish, i'm thinking in spanish.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:30 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Miami and Orlando are your best bets for that.
There are virtually zero Cubans in Orlando. Now Puerto Ricans, yes....however they typically mix like oil and water (Cubans and Puerto Ricans) so Miami/SE Florida makes the most sense for sure.

Old 03-28-2023, 08:35 AM

65 posts, read 44,305 times
^^^not true at all

but it's kind of like calling Sicilians, "Italians"....Sicilians want to be called that first...

it's sorta of ethnocentrism to a degree -

Many Cubans don't identify with Mexicans or Dominicans in re language OR cutture.

Many Cubans of Castilian heritage don't identify with so-called "black" Cubans or mullato/quadroon etc Cubans even though they share the same language, history and island.

Many white/Anglo Americans don't identify with Negro/Black/Colored Americans (and vice versa) even though they share the same language, except "ghetto-speak", and "Ebonics" with is also foreign to most white/Anglo Americans.

Windup? hmmm......all Cubans aren't the same, all Italians aren't the same, all Blacks aren't the same (e.g. Nigerians have nothing in common with most US blacks, just ask them).

BTW, lots of Venezuelans aren't very close to Cubans in culture ----even in Miami.

Old 03-28-2023, 09:45 AM

17,184 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
There are virtually zero Cubans in Orlando. Now Puerto Ricans, yes....however they typically mix like oil and water (Cubans and Puerto Ricans) so Miami/SE Florida makes the most sense for sure.
I meant more for the Latin aspect of things... i.e., Spanish Speaking. I've only really seen Puerto Ricans clash with Mexicans.
Yes, Miami makes the most sense, but if Miami isn't an option, Orlando would be the only other one I would suggest.

Old 03-28-2023, 06:17 PM

87 posts, read 142,122 times
pues, son mucho puertorriqueños en spring hill. loque esta norte, mas o menos cuarenta milles de tampa. el aria es casi todo casas seperates.

just sayin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay