Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 11:00 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSchykler View Post
Isn't TECO talking about a planning reduction in rates??
Could be, but it’s hardly relevant after they’ve raised them over 70% in the last 3-4 years, I believe.

My worst summer bill used to be around $260 prior to maybe 2020. Now it’s more like $350+.

The real irony is that I believe the parent company is Canadian.

RM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2024, 12:15 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post

The real irony is that I believe the parent company is Canadian.

Not sure why TECO being a subsidiary of a Canadian company is ironic, but TECO was acquired in 2015 by Emera.

"Emera Incorporated is a publicly traded Canadian multinational energy holding company based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Created in 1998 during the privatization of Nova Scotia Power, a provincial Crown corporation, Emera now invests in regulated electricity generation as well as transmission and distribution across North America and the Caribbean.

On September 4, 2015, Emera announced the acquisition of TECO Energy, a utility company based in Tampa, Florida, whose holdings include Tampa Electric, Peoples Gas (no relation to the Chicago-based company of the same name), and New Mexico Gas. Emera paid $10.4 billion for TECO. The deal closed in July 2016."

Old 01-23-2024, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Not sure why TECO being a subsidiary of a Canadian company is ironic, but TECO was acquired in 2015 by Emera.
Just seems ironic to me that a Canadian company is the one reaming Floridians on utility bills. That should be the responsibility of a local business, right?

Pretty simple.

RM

Old 01-25-2024, 12:52 PM

235 posts, read 208,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
*Just a heads up: There is a certain poster who is bound to show up here that will try to convince you that everyone in Tampa has utility bills over $600.

I had Duke Energy, and my home was just under 1,500sqft. I ran my AC at 68 degrees all day, mainly working from home with computers and multiple monitors on all day. Ran my washer and dryer daily. Ran the dishwasher at least once a day. Used the stove/oven daily. Kids in and out of the front door, so cold air escaping, warm air entering, constantly. Kids forgetting TVs and video game consoles on. My Duke Energy bill was never over $300. Might have been just under a few times, but keep in mind the extreme demands above.

The commute into downtown from Gibsonton/Apollo via 41 isn't too bad. It gets clogged up, but at least it's close.

Both Jacksonville and Tampa are extremely spread out. I find Jacksonville to be MUCH easier to get around due to the much more comprehensive highway network there (seriously, probably the best in the state in this regard.)
North Jacksonville always strikes me as quite rough. What you've heard sounds about right. I have a friend who lives in Orange Park, and she loves it. Her rent seems quite reasonable compared to the outlandish prices of other parts of FL.

A few things to keep in mind: Jacksonville gets COLD. Tampa is highly prone to flooding.

I'm not sure about the job market in your fields of experience. I have a few friends who work those jobs, but not much knowledge on them. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

That being said, I was in Jacksonville last weekend, and for the first time ever I can say I was quite impressed by its overall infrastructure and improvements. It's a much nicer place that people from other parts of FL would have you believe. Still a bit too "dead" for my liking, but that's about it.
We live in St Pete so we have Duke Energy. 1300 sq ft block home. The only added insulations is what we had blown in the attic. House built in 1952. 4 adults.2 retired so we are home all day.4 year old HVAC. We keep the air on 74. Run the washer/dryer/dishwasher almost daily. 2 tv's on usually at once. Laptops on half the day. Highest bill in summer was $550. (very hot August) Winter bills are around $300. You have to PAY to live in a warmer climate. Water bill/garbage averages $250 to $280 a month (keeps going up) and we do not water a lawn.

Old 01-25-2024, 03:04 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLEOPATRAZEUS View Post
We live in St Pete so we have Duke Energy. 1300 sq ft block home. The only added insulations is what we had blown in the attic. House built in 1952. 4 adults.2 retired so we are home all day.4 year old HVAC. We keep the air on 74. Run the washer/dryer/dishwasher almost daily. 2 tv's on usually at once. Laptops on half the day. Highest bill in summer was $550. (very hot August) Winter bills are around $300. You have to PAY to live in a warmer climate. Water bill/garbage averages $250 to $280 a month (keeps going up) and we do not water a lawn.

WHAT NOW? Your DUKE ENERGY bill in summer is $550????? And you keep your thermostat at 74?

Why......... you must be making that up! Liar liar pants on fire!

Don't worry. I believe you. I know you are not lying. Just like I know the rest of the people around me who are paying bills like that and above that are not lying either.

Just like the fact that my power goes out in Tampa 6+ a year for no reason is not a lie either.

Another reminder to the OP to make sure that you call TECO and give them the address of ANY property you are considering buying or renting to get the average electric bill cost. Make sure you have a CLEAR understanding of how high the bills are in summer. AND while you are at it, ask them how many outages the address has had in a one-year period also. It may save you the frustration of buying or renting a home where the power goes out often (TECO is notoriously negligent at maintaining the grid in certain parts of Tampa).

Old 01-25-2024, 03:28 PM

Or...

Buy in a newer area where utilities are located underground.

I have a whole-house standby generator that has yet to come on for an outage in the four years since it's been installed. All of the utilities in my area are underground. The initial development started in the mid to late 1980s, and was built out by 2000. That should give you an idea of the vintage you're looking for.

We're on TECO, I would add. That, and along an arterial road nearby where the electrical distribution is above ground, the power has been out for as long as a week after bad storms. Nothing recently that I can recall, but I know that when we had those three hurricanes blow through in rapid succession in the mid-2000s they were out for at least 6-7 days. We had a few flickers, and that was it.

RM

Old 01-25-2024, 03:30 PM

4,476 posts, read 3,843,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortonR View Post
Or...

Buy in a newer area where utilities are located underground.

I have a whole-house standby generator that has yet to come on for an outage in the four years since it's been installed. All of the utilities in my area are underground. The initial development started in the mid to late 1980s, and was built out by 2000. That should give you an idea of the vintage you're looking for.

We're on TECO, I would add. That, and along an arterial road nearby where the electrical distribution is above ground, the power has been out for as long as a week after bad storms. Nothing recently that I can recall, but I know that when we had those three hurricanes blow through in rapid succession in the mid-2000s they were out for at least 6-7 days. We had a few flickers, and that was it.

RM

Absolutely correct!

Old 01-25-2024, 04:01 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
Once upon a time TECO seemed pretty good. Rates were reasonable and service not bad. What I am reading here is terrible. I am glad I don't have TECO. We have Lakeland Electric which I always thought was high, but not compared to TECO. My bills are pretty darn reasonable compared to that and our service is great. My lines are underground, BTW.

Old 01-25-2024, 04:51 PM

325 posts, read 441,400 times
Our newly built 1100 SF home in the woods of Central Florida kept at 77 in the Summer and 70 in the Winter running a shop and all water from a 220 V Well. Highest bill in a year $88. No water bill. No sewer bill. No cable bill. Private garbage collection $14 per month.

Old 01-26-2024, 08:21 AM

235 posts, read 208,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
WHAT NOW? Your DUKE ENERGY bill in summer is $550????? And you keep your thermostat at 74?

Why......... you must be making that up! Liar liar pants on fire!

Don't worry. I believe you. I know you are not lying. Just like I know the rest of the people around me who are paying bills like that and above that are not lying either.

Just like the fact that my power goes out in Tampa 6+ a year for no reason is not a lie either.

Another reminder to the OP to make sure that you call TECO and give them the address of ANY property you are considering buying or renting to get the average electric bill cost. Make sure you have a CLEAR understanding of how high the bills are in summer. AND while you are at it, ask them how many outages the address has had in a one-year period also. It may save you the frustration of buying or renting a home where the power goes out often (TECO is notoriously negligent at maintaining the grid in certain parts of Tampa).
Of course its true. $550 was our highest bill I checked. O and I forget we have a window air conditioner we run a lot in the summer in my she-shed where I do crafts. We like it cool and will cut back on other things to pay for it. Our power does not go out very often. We have a generator since Irma and only used it once since then for a few hours. Everythings electric here and I cook a lot. So its about right. 4 adults live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay