Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 15,611 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in AZ but are considering a move to Tampa or Jacksonville. We're tired of the warmer months being 112-115 degrees and our electric bill over $300/mo for only a 1500 sqft house. Years ago I lived in Key Largo and then Ft. Lauderdale so I'm familiar with the humidity and bugs. The little buggers will give my cat something to play with. Anyway, I'm interested in learning about the job markets, crime rate, cost of living and commute times into each downtown respectively. We can't afford the beach communities, but a friend told me to only live in the south or east side of Jacksonville... I will use highway 41. In Tampa, we're looking at the southeast towns along the bay. Gibsonton and Apollo Beach. What is commute like DT? I read a lot of threads in Jacksonville about the high crime rate. It's also been written that it's really spread out and the south part of Georgia, less desirables. Thank goodness I have time to research... we're not moving until October. Also, I'm 61 yrs. old with considerable sales and collection experience. When living in San Diego I experienced terrible ageism. Are Tampa or Jacksonville guilty of the same?
I'd love anyone to tell me what's great about each city? What's lacking or negative? What is he size of your home and how much is your electric bill in the summer months? We can afford $2200/mo rent in a home at least 1500 sqft. Of course any feedback is much appreciated. Thanks in advance. Go Bears!

Last edited by SusanandTeddy; 01-18-2024 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: added job experience
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2024, 08:23 AM

17,135 posts, read 15,341,895 times
*Just a heads up: There is a certain poster who is bound to show up here that will try to convince you that everyone in Tampa has utility bills over $600.

I had Duke Energy, and my home was just under 1,500sqft. I ran my AC at 68 degrees all day, mainly working from home with computers and multiple monitors on all day. Ran my washer and dryer daily. Ran the dishwasher at least once a day. Used the stove/oven daily. Kids in and out of the front door, so cold air escaping, warm air entering, constantly. Kids forgetting TVs and video game consoles on. My Duke Energy bill was never over $300. Might have been just under a few times, but keep in mind the extreme demands above.

The commute into downtown from Gibsonton/Apollo via 41 isn't too bad. It gets clogged up, but at least it's close.

Both Jacksonville and Tampa are extremely spread out. I find Jacksonville to be MUCH easier to get around due to the much more comprehensive highway network there (seriously, probably the best in the state in this regard.)
North Jacksonville always strikes me as quite rough. What you've heard sounds about right. I have a friend who lives in Orange Park, and she loves it. Her rent seems quite reasonable compared to the outlandish prices of other parts of FL.

A few things to keep in mind: Jacksonville gets COLD. Tampa is highly prone to flooding.

I'm not sure about the job market in your fields of experience. I have a few friends who work those jobs, but not much knowledge on them. Perhaps someone else can chime in.

That being said, I was in Jacksonville last weekend, and for the first time ever I can say I was quite impressed by its overall infrastructure and improvements. It's a much nicer place that people from other parts of FL would have you believe. Still a bit too "dead" for my liking, but that's about it.

Old 01-19-2024, 08:33 AM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
Gibsonton is an undesirable area in my opinion. Apollo Beach, particularly west of 41 is a lot better. The TECO plant is a bit of an eye sore there, but probably not a dealbreaker.

Old 01-19-2024, 12:50 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I live in Pinellas County in a 2100 sq ft house and I paid Duke Energy an annual total of $2200 for electric in 2023 and $1800 in 2022. The 2023 monthly bills ranged from a low of $128 in January 2023 to a high of $285 in July 2023.

This is for heat and a/c. My house is comfortable with the a/c set at 74 degrees and the heat set at 70 degrees.

My house is well insulated, with impact doors and windows. Extra insulation was installed in the attic about six years ago.

Old 01-19-2024, 02:38 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Gibsonton is an undesirable area in my opinion. Apollo Beach, particularly west of 41 is a lot better. The TECO plant is a bit of an eye sore there, but probably not a dealbreaker.
I agree. Also according to my husband, who retired a couple years ago from managing Hillsborough County projects, that all that area down around Apollo Beach, Ruskin will be highly developed in the very near future. It is being referred to as "South Shore." Traffic from there to downtown is already considerable during rush hour, and is guaranteed to get a lot worse. Something to think about.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:29 AM

5,976 posts, read 7,365,693 times
I *don't* think you want to consider Gibsonton, but I'll leave that for you to figure out after you've done some more research. Gibsonton is a community primarily composed of people in the "carny" and circus business. There are special zoning regulations for Gibsonton that allow exotic animals like elephants to be kept as well as vehicles and equipment used in the "business" to be parked on private property.

That might appeal to you, I don't know.

The South Shore is already horribly congested. It's getting worse by the day. A coworker lives in Apollo Beach, and they said it took them over 90 minutes to get home the other night due to the rush hour traffic (this is a distance of about 20 miles.)

RM

Old 01-21-2024, 08:58 PM

7,770 posts, read 6,376,660 times
We moved to Jacksonville once, Arizona once, and Clearwater three times.

Never remotely considered Tampa.

Jax was more of a commercial city, the seaport, insurance companies etc. There is also a Navy presence.

Tampa airport is convenient to both Tampa and Pinellas county for travel and for visitors to come see you.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:28 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Regarding Tampa, read:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/r...e-higher-bills

For any property that you consider renting or buying, make sure you call TECO and ask what the monthly bills were between May and October 2023.

Last edited by sinatras; 01-22-2024 at 08:02 AM..

Old 01-22-2024, 09:10 AM

9 posts, read 5,144 times
Isn't TECO talking about a planning reduction in rates??

Old 01-22-2024, 09:12 AM

4,474 posts, read 3,842,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSchykler View Post
Isn't TECO talking about a planning reduction in rates??
Yeah. Just like Biden is talking about a reduction in inflation. Yeah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay