Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2008, 02:45 PM

132 posts, read 428,168 times

Advertisements

With any luck I might be getting a job offer and move to the Tampa area. The rep who was promoted lieved in Sarasota, but I heard that is for retired people mostly... I am 50, look maybe 35 (fantastic genes ) Feel maybe 30 and act as young as I look if not more... so I need a healthy mix of fun yet I want to live in a nice more upscale area with a touch of cool... probably first get an aprtment to get a feel for the area before I think of buying... any suggestions on areas to live, and condos/apartments near water would be great.

I understand Fl does not have state income tax or property tax, is that still true? I also I have read that the last hurricane to hit Tampa was like 1923 or something... good news to me coming from earthquake and fires country.

B-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:04 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,216,899 times
Do you know which area your job will be located? You might want to look in an area where you wouldn't have a nightmare commute.

Tampa has been affected by a few hurricanes just not a direct hit in years. That doesn't mean if there is one headed towards Tampa you won't have to leave, you will if you live in an evac zone.

There is no personal property tax, but the property tax on homes is very high as is HOI.

Old 06-20-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Do you know which area your job will be located? You might want to look in an area where you wouldn't have a nightmare commute.

Tampa has been affected by a few hurricanes just not a direct hit in years. That doesn't mean if there is one headed towards Tampa you won't have to leave, you will if you live in an evac zone.

There is no personal property tax, but the property tax on homes is very high as is HOI.
Keeper

I could not log on nor get my password emailed to me (don't know why) so I made another ID...

I will be working from home and also doing a lot of driving along the west coast (fairly large territory)... if I had my way I would love property with a water view (ocean, waterway, lake), but most importantly I want a good neighborhood (low crimes rate) within easy reach of the beaches, nice night life and shops... I wouldn't mind living in a nice urban area (can always get a pool

Ballpark figure, what is the average taxes on a home along with HOI? I am coming from Cali so I don't think I will be shocked

Old 06-21-2008, 04:42 AM

471 posts, read 1,662,193 times
My choices would be downtown St. Pete with its Bay views and urban lifestyle or Pass A Grille for being the small historic neighborhood on the Gulf.

Old 06-21-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cariad View Post
My choices would be downtown St. Pete with its Bay views and urban lifestyle or Pass A Grille for being the small historic neighborhood on the Gulf.

Thank you... I started looking at the St. Pete area last night, some nice looking areas... I also started looking at suburban areas around Tampa that I have seen mentioned on here... WOW... some nice deals to be had for sure (compared to Cali)

So right now my head is just spinning... but I keep coming back to water views... so if it's house in suburbia or a condo in an urban environment, I really want some sort of a water view... right now I am just trying to find rentals with these attributes until I get a feel for certain areas (so many nice looking options)... still hoping I get the job

Old 06-22-2008, 01:16 PM

Can anyone tell me on avg how often the Tampa/St Pete/Sarasota area has had to evacuate say in the last 10 years or so... or where I can dig up that kind of info?

Thanks

Old 06-22-2008, 02:03 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,383,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B to the T View Post
Can anyone tell me on avg how often the Tampa/St Pete/Sarasota area has had to evacuate say in the last 10 years or so... or where I can dig up that kind of info?

Thanks
I live in Zone 'A' over in Tampa off Westshore Blvd, and in the 20 years I have lived in Tampa, I only had to evacuate once in 2004, but I just went over to my friends who lived about a mile away and was in Zone 'C', luckily we never received a direct hit, so all was ok. The entire Bay area never gets evacuated, it depends on what Zone you live in, and how strong the Hurricane is, and whether or not it is projected to come directly in your path, there are even areas in Pinellas County that never get evacuated due to the height above sea level.

Old 06-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
I live in Zone 'A' over in Tampa off Westshore Blvd, and in the 20 years I have lived in Tampa, I only had to evacuate once in 2004, but I just went over to my friends who lived about a mile away and was in Zone 'C', luckily we never received a direct hit, so all was ok. The entire Bay area never gets evacuated, it depends on what Zone you live in, and how strong the Hurricane is, and whether or not it is projected to come directly in your path, there are even areas in Pinellas County that never get evacuated due to the height above sea level.
Thanks Tampaguy...

Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 PM

104 posts, read 366,773 times
Two areas you might want to check out for "a touch of cool'--Channelside/Harbour Island and South Tampa (surrounded by the bay). This area has restaurants and events close to downtown.

If you want to be close to the beach areas, downtown St. Pete and Old NE are some great areas or even Passe Grille if you want true beachfront living.

I would generally say that the Downtown Tampa environment caters to a 25 to 50's crowd while St. Pete (which is very up and coming) caters to a little older age frame (with exception of the bar areas). I would check out the areas when you visit to see what feels like what you are looking for.

No income taxes here, but like any tax arrangement--they get you one way or another. As far as the hurricanes, we had some excitement 2 years ago but it has been relatively quiet lately (knock on wood!!!)

Good luck on the move.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:32 PM

Well... 2 people have been shot down and I am still in the running for the job (I am actually surprised since they like to hunt internal and local)

But I did find out today I can not live in Tampa, more like Sarasota after all... they supply a company card, gas etc and Tampa is just outside the territory... can't complain, it's a great company and opportunity... but I found a couple of high rise condos I fell in love with... dayum!

Thanks to everyone for the help... now to go bug the peeps on the Sarasota and find out what I can find from there to Naples...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay