Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 04:24 PM

33 posts, read 100,928 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Tampa later this year and have been trying to research the area online which is difficult to say the least. My sis lives in Riverview and I don't care much for that area. I am interested in Pinellas county I think b/c I live near the beach now and love that life style. What kind of a commute is it into Tampa? I hear Pinellas cty is overcrowded and the traffic is a nightmare...sounds like Jersey, I should feel right at home...How is Dunedin, Palm Harbor... nice areas or any suggestions would help tremendously!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2006, 08:02 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,073,081 times
Hi,Safety Harbor area is more laid back and the comute is not to terrible bad. The farther north of route 60 = more traffic.

Old 05-23-2006, 11:04 AM

40 posts, read 178,116 times
Default Tampa

Try the New Tampa area... namely Wesley Chapel. Lots of new construction and development. The Tampa Palms developement is really nice, as are others. Traffic may be a bit congested if you are heading into the ciy of Tampa though.

Old 05-23-2006, 12:14 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,696,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth
I am relocating to Tampa later this year and have been trying to research the area online which is difficult to say the least. My sis lives in Riverview and I don't care much for that area. I am interested in Pinellas county I think b/c I live near the beach now and love that life style. What kind of a commute is it into Tampa? I hear Pinellas cty is overcrowded and the traffic is a nightmare...sounds like Jersey, I should feel right at home...How is Dunedin, Palm Harbor... nice areas or any suggestions would help tremendously!! Thanks!
land o lakes is nice also. If you live in pinellas you face hight insurance etc.

judy

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 66,072 times
Default Rent First

I would say if depends on what area you're going to be working. You may want to rent in a centralized location like downtown Tampa until you know where you'll be working (or going to school).

I say this because some areas are a traffic nightmare. Unlike living up north Tampa is really spread out and people prefer not to commute far and employers don't like hiring people who live too far away.

Also, the highway infrastructure is not great (the're working on that) and there are lots of accidents and horrible drivers.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
To be near the beach you have to go with Pinellas county. The other places mentioned here are going to be way out . I have to agree with Maxkano completely. The best way to know where it is going to be convenient for you is renting first. There's plenty of condos, townhomes for rent with varied prices for everybody. I relocated here from Jersey three years ago. I truly enjoy the area. Traffic is nothing compared to the turnpike or 9 in central Jersey. Please ask other questions you may have in this forum. There are some very helpful persons here.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM

20 posts, read 69,901 times
Smile Rent First!!!!

Like some of the others have said. Rent first, and see where you like. I'd advise Pinellas county if you want to be near the beaches, otherwise it's a 30 or so mile ride just to get to Pinellas.

Likewise it depends on what you like. Hillsborough County ( Tampa, Lutz, Brandon etc ) tend to be much more spread out with the "Mc Mansion" attitude. If that's what you like, then Hillsborough's the place. Also Hillsborough tends to be very conservative, whereas Pinellas more liberal in thinking.

You will need to live here for awhile before you find your niche. And most of all beware of Condos that sound like a bargain -- in the end they will turn into money pits. I know I bought one. There has been a condo conversion boom in the last few years. They are a big mistake!

Good Luck!

Old 02-20-2008, 01:54 PM

849 posts, read 3,528,688 times
Default traffic in Pinellas

is not as bad as Hillsborough (Tampa proper)
I'm a Jersey girl too and if you like being down the shore you won't like outer Hillsborough Co., New Tampa, Land o Lakes, etc. It's country, buggy, humid and hotter than the coast and as one poster said, McMansionville. Cookie cutter appeal no unique character. Where are you going to be working? You can make downtown Tampa even in the rush in 45 minute from Pinellas. People here will cite the fog and accidents on the bridge but that can happen anywhere and if you are in outer Hillsborough you will commute a horrendous 45min-1hr or more to work and then the same to the beach. Tell us more what you like and where you'll be working and we can fine tuen our advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirlGoinSouth View Post

Old 02-20-2008, 03:45 PM

1,404 posts, read 5,701,083 times
I like it at Siesta Key....

Old 02-20-2008, 06:35 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,248,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander View Post
Try the New Tampa area... namely Wesley Chapel. Lots of new construction and development. The Tampa Palms developement is really nice, as are others. Traffic may be a bit congested if you are heading into the ciy of Tampa though.
This area is suburban USA. It's fine, but not what you'll want if you want a beach lifestyle (it's about 45 minutes to the beach)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay