Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 01:37 PM

48 posts, read 127,639 times

Advertisements

We will be relocating to Central Florida for my husband's job. He will be traveling between Orlando and Tampa so we have the option of living in either city. We lived in Orlando for a short time a few years ago so are somewhat familer with it but we don't know much about Tampa? We have two small kids so a family friendly neighborhood and good schools (we prefer private schools) are a priority. We would prefer a existing area with trees rather than new construction without any character. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 05:13 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc&lola View Post
We will be relocating to Central Florida for my husband's job. He will be traveling between Orlando and Tampa so we have the option of living in either city. We lived in Orlando for a short time a few years ago so are somewhat familer with it but we don't know much about Tampa? We have two small kids so a family friendly neighborhood and good schools (we prefer private schools) are a priority. We would prefer a existing area with trees rather than new construction without any character. Any suggestions?
Why not check out Lakeland? It sits right between Tampa and Orlando, not a bad commute to either city. Have many established neighborhoods filled with old trees, many beautiful lakes here. Can't help re: schools, but I do know there are some nice private ones. Very family friendly town, clean and beautiful, community oriented.

Lakeland, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-05-2008, 07:58 PM

126 posts, read 538,817 times
Lakeland is a nice community.

I wouldn't want to live in Orlando. Here's an interesting story about Orlando in National Geographic. Be sure to read page 7 about crime:

Orlando - National Geographic Magazine

Old 07-09-2008, 08:35 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandyt View Post
Lakeland is a nice community.

I wouldn't want to live in Orlando. Here's an interesting story about Orlando in National Geographic. Be sure to read page 7 about crime:

Orlando - National Geographic Magazine
Wow, that is one of the most depressing articles I've ever read. Sadly a good part of the depression is because most of the article is true. Apparently we no longer build great cities in America... we just throw together interstates, strip malls, and poorly built suburban housing areas (notice how I don't use the word neighborhood.)

Old 07-09-2008, 09:50 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,563,055 times
Great article. Tells it like it is, Orlando has become a strip mall with no character.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Wow that was an interesting article. And so true. I hate to see what Orlando has become.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:58 AM

81 posts, read 308,435 times
Check out lakeland..its nice and quite there. All the way from Tampa to Orlando (or vice versa) will be generally a big pain no matter where you live on either side. Though if you HAVE to pick either Tampa or Orlando, I would suggest Tampa. With Lakeland you would be slightly better off. Also, definitely rent for a while wherever you move if you don't know the area much.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:07 AM

37 posts, read 104,522 times
I was going to suggest Lakeland too. My girlfriend was in a similar situation and thats what they did. She liked it because she was about a 30 min commute to Tampa for her job or about 40 min to Orlando for his job, and she could shop in Tampa, Lakeland or Orlando (all the outlet malls). Lakeland is not a bad little place to live. Less hustle and bustle than Tampa but more character and less congestion than Orlando. Orlando is such a tourist haven, its very aggravating to live there (per friends that were living there).

Old 07-10-2008, 04:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
Lakeland has my vote too. Much safer area than Orlando and Tampa. Has lots of character. Gypsychic lives there so she is an excellent resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay