Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2008, 01:58 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are kicking around the possibility of relocating to the Tampa area. A few good jobs (IT) have popped up for him and we are thinking hard. Additionally, my parents live in Sebring and it would be nice to be closer. ANYWAY....MY QUESTION - is home schooling frowned upon in the area or supported? I am in KY now and there are many home school groups and growing larger. I have a 4 month old and obviously have time, but this is very important to me.

Also, real estate wise, I have been looking futher out of town for small communities not in the metro Tampa area. Any suggestions? A 40 minute commute is okay -hubby is used to that now.

Thanks!

KimmieyKY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 04:36 PM

126 posts, read 538,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimmieyky View Post
ANYWAY....MY QUESTION - is home schooling frowned upon in the area or supported? I am in KY now and there are many home school groups and growing larger.

Also, real estate wise, I have been looking futher out of town for small communities not in the metro Tampa area. Any suggestions? A 40 minute commute is okay -hubby is used to that now.
Hi Kimmie - I just visited my family in Kentucky, where I grew up, and now live in the Brandon area, which is just east of Tampa. Although I have no children, I know many people who do, and many of them homeschool their children. There are organizations here for parents who homeschool their children, and there are activities for the parents/children as well. If you'd like, I'll try to get more information.

Also, I would suggest looking at the Valrico and Lithia areas, which are just east of Tampa. FishHawk Ranch is a very nice development that is surrounded by nature areas. Good luck on your search for a new home!

By the way - it was hotter in KY this past week than it was here -- but not by much!

Old 07-30-2008, 01:49 PM

850 posts, read 3,158,814 times
Thanks for the info! You just never know what other states are doing and how certain things are looked at. Home schooling is something I vowed to do after my oldest kids graduated (23 and 19 now - yep, starting over) and if we move I really want to follow through.

I will look into those areas you mentioned. I wondered about Brandon too, but trying to stay a little away from the coast if I can due to insurance. Dad says it's horrible now!

What part of KY are you from? I am a little jealous you are livng my dream (lol), and I hope you enjoy where you are.
Thanks again. kimmiey

Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 AM

126 posts, read 538,817 times
Hi Kimmiey - I'm from Bowling Green - where do you live?

Also, I spoke to my neighbor down the street who homeschools her children. She said it is widely accepted here. She told me about two very active organizations in this area - I listed the information below. She also said there are a lot of social activities geared to homeschooled children. So many, in fact, that you could spend more time socializing than teaching!

And by the way - we love it here! I almost don't miss the rolling hills of KY.

Two Homeschool organizations in the Brandon area:

-- F.I.S.H. Homeschool Fellowship - Home

-- Brandon Home School Fellowship
Valrico, FL 33594

Phone: [(813) 661-9309
E-mail: lomion@verizon.net

(Brandon and Valrico are right next to each other)

Old 07-31-2008, 10:43 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Welcome to Florida Virtual School

Florida Virtual School

Course Information Apply for Admissions Our Staff
Florida Students
Students Outside Florida
Course Demos
Honors or AP Courses Florida students
Students Outside Florida
Guardian Account
Frequently Asked Questions Administrators
Instructional
Non-Instructional
"How to" Demo Videos

Applying for Admissions
Requesting Courses
Your Student Dashboard
Getting Started in Your Course

Old 08-10-2008, 11:32 AM

203 posts, read 960,664 times
Hi! Yes, I have heard that homeschooling is widely accepted. I may have to do it for our children when the time comes.

We live in Ruskin, and it's not that far of a commute and houses are selling cheap here( 2700sq ft home for just over $200,000!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay