Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2006, 03:18 PM

33 posts, read 69,331 times

Advertisements

Any (good) diverse neighborhoods with tons of Hispanics and Asians that is not a long commute to downtown Tampa? Are there any bad neighborhoods such as Opa Locka (in South Florida) that one should avoid? By the way, how are minorities such as Hispanics and Asians treated in Tampa?

Based on my observation, Tampa seems to still have most of the Florida benefits such as beaches, nice wheather, etc. and without the high cost associated with places such as Miami and Fort Lauderdale.

Are there any other pros and cons that I am not aware off?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 10:26 AM

61 posts, read 186,358 times
First off if you're used to Opa Locka you have no need to worry about any area in Tampa. Of course, there is crime everywhere but overall the crime rate in Tampa is pretty low. A diversified area close to downtown....

West Tampa, is very diverse. Many Hispanics(low on the Asian side)that pretty much keep to themselves. This area is very close to downtown. For more diversity consider Town 'n Country. Its just west of Tampa Intl Airport but not as close to downtown. Its not far, just no reliable thoroughfares into downtown. Seminole Heights is no more than 15 minutes from downtown(via I-275) and I love the diversity there. I grew up there and its pretty much bungalo heaven. Very historic and family oriented part of Tampa. It has its fair share of Latin restaurants and ethnic supply stores(lots of shopping), also some of the county's best schools are in Seminole Heights.

Hispanics are treated VERY well in Tampa. They fit right in as the Hispanic population seem to be increasing every six months. I only notice Asians in NW Tampa and in New Tampa, however these parts aren't so close to downtown. Now, places to avoid...

Grant Park(crime ridden)

Six Mile Creek(very industrialized, plenty truck traffic, and prone to see many flying Confederate flags)

Immediate West Tampa(U of Tampa, downtown vagrancy)

Suitcase City(USF area, suprising oppression and idle behavior, TPD has a field day out here)

SoHo(South Howard Ave, unless you can cope with the yuppie "i'm better than you" vibe)

Port of Tampa(Macdill AFB traffic, surprisingly high amounts of crime)

In spite of it all though, Tampa is NO Opa Locka, Washington D.C., or Detroit...i've lived in Tampa Bay for 20+ years.

Old 05-08-2010, 04:30 PM

190 posts, read 493,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbylion View Post
First off if you're used to Opa Locka you have no need to worry about any area in Tampa. Of course, there is crime everywhere but overall the crime rate in Tampa is pretty low. A diversified area close to downtown....

West Tampa, is very diverse. Many Hispanics(low on the Asian side)that pretty much keep to themselves. This area is very close to downtown. For more diversity consider Town 'n Country. Its just west of Tampa Intl Airport but not as close to downtown. Its not far, just no reliable thoroughfares into downtown. Seminole Heights is no more than 15 minutes from downtown(via I-275) and I love the diversity there. I grew up there and its pretty much bungalo heaven. Very historic and family oriented part of Tampa. It has its fair share of Latin restaurants and ethnic supply stores(lots of shopping), also some of the county's best schools are in Seminole Heights.

Hispanics are treated VERY well in Tampa. They fit right in as the Hispanic population seem to be increasing every six months. I only notice Asians in NW Tampa and in New Tampa, however these parts aren't so close to downtown. Now, places to avoid...

Grant Park(crime ridden)

Six Mile Creek(very industrialized, plenty truck traffic, and prone to see many flying Confederate flags)

Immediate West Tampa(U of Tampa, downtown vagrancy)

Suitcase City(USF area, suprising oppression and idle behavior, TPD has a field day out here)

SoHo(South Howard Ave, unless you can cope with the yuppie "i'm better than you" vibe)

Port of Tampa(Macdill AFB traffic, surprisingly high amounts of crime)

In spite of it all though, Tampa is NO Opa Locka, Washington D.C., or Detroit...i've lived in Tampa Bay for 20+ years.
This is an excellent assessment. Because a Miami neighborhood was brought up, I would only add that Tampa's Hispanic presence is like Miami minus Hialeah minus 30 years.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
This is an excellent assessment. Because a Miami neighborhood was brought up, I would only add that Tampa's Hispanic presence is like Miami minus Hialeah minus 30 years.
Galactic, thank you. In my two decades of being a Tampa Bay resident, I would tell anyone the same thing: The main concern(to me)would be the illogical layout of major roads and the subsequent traffic. For a city the size of the Tampa metro area, the crime is pretty low. No worries there. But like any other city there are places to avoid. For others, feel free to add to the list

Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,054 times
I agree with the previous posters. Crabby gives a very accurate description of some of the areas!

A star for both of them.

Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
Town N Country is also diverse. I lived in Timberlane years ago and there were many Asians and Hispanics along with African Americans and Caucasians. It was consider lower middle income at that time.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Town N Country is also diverse. I lived in Timberlane years ago and there were many Asians and Hispanics along with African Americans and Caucasians. It was consider lower middle income at that time.
Is it safe to assume that you currently reside in the foothills of Appalachia? If so, NICE!

About Town 'N Country, when I first started visiting Tampa Bay back in '86 TnC appeared to be very quiet, family oriented, and not very diverse. NOW...its the opposite! Its a bustling area of town that's tough to get into and out of(via Hillsborough Av). TnC may as well be its own incorporated town by now, with Citrus Park being the suburbs of TnC. But Keeper, Town N Country is still considered lower-mid class today, just more dense and gridlocked with cars. I think the main difference with TnC today is that more people are going west(Pinellas/Oldsmar)to work.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie of Oldsmar View Post
I agree with the previous posters. Crabby gives a very accurate description of some of the areas!

A star for both of them.
Thank you, Annie!

By the way, Oldsmar is coming into its own and looking really good. I used to work out there in that infamous hurricane season of '04. It flooded a good deal but everything still looks new and spacious out there. Way to go, Oldsmar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay