Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 10:38 AM

22 posts, read 98,877 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys, I am considering moving back to Florida , possibly to St. Pete from my brief stay in Italy. I lived in South Beach, Miami before but from what i have seen St. Petersburg seems very attractive. Are there a lot of Cultural activities in St.Pete? Is it ethnically diverse? Are the people nice? Is it possible to find an affordable studio apt. in a safe neighborhood near downtown? I am a writer, single/late 30's I like to live simply and will probably look for a job as a waiter/bartender in the beginning, preferrably close to where I would live. Is this possible?

Are there a a lot of nice, upscale bars/restaurants/hotels in the downtown area, can you get around easily by bike and is the public transport pretty good there? And how close is downtown to a major Airport? Thanks guys in advance for any helpful info/thoughts that you might share. I would be so excited if St. Pete turns out to be as cool as I hope it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2007, 04:14 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Yes, it's perfect for you!!! It's exactly the area in Tampa Bay that you want. I lived there for four years and would never have left if it weren't for a job out of state. Lots of good bars and restaurants around downtown, great public transportation though so much of it is walkable...very diverse, very artsy, lots of museums. It's maybe 40 minutes from Tampa Airport when there's traffic.

Try here for nice apartments 13-14 blocks north of downtown:

http://www.crescentlakeapartments.com/main.php

There's also Times Square Apartments right downtown --- google Creative Loafing Tampa and check the classifieds, they don't have a website. Enjoy!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 53,723 times
Smile Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander View Post
Hi Guys, I am considering moving back to Florida , possibly to St. Pete from my brief stay in Italy. I lived in South Beach, Miami before but from what i have seen St. Petersburg seems very attractive. Are there a lot of Cultural activities in St.Pete? Is it ethnically diverse? Are the people nice? Is it possible to find an affordable studio apt. in a safe neighborhood near downtown? I am a writer, single/late 30's I like to live simply and will probably look for a job as a waiter/bartender in the beginning, preferrably close to where I would live. Is this possible?

Are there a a lot of nice, upscale bars/restaurants/hotels in the downtown area, can you get around easily by bike and is the public transport pretty good there? And how close is downtown to a major Airport? Thanks guys in advance for any helpful info/thoughts that you might share. I would be so excited if St. Pete turns out to be as cool as I hope it is!
There are definitely places for you to live downtown and if you do, getting around by bike or walking is easy. Don't know if you are looking to buy or rent. You can rent a nice 1/1 for about 1,200 a month. I you want to buy, the lowest price would be a downtown studio with 450 square feet for $150K, or you would be about 200-250K for a small 1/1. Numerouse places for you to work as a bartender or waiter.

Old 05-20-2007, 07:45 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,380,491 times
St. Pete is full of creative types, very cultutal downtown area along the waterfront, lots of bars and restaurants. USF has a college downtown also, there are many rentals, and private condis/townhomes for rent. Look at craigslist.com, stay around downtown, northeast of downtown. Biking is easy, but there also is a trolly service throughout downtown. Lots of festivals, concerts, museums, etc. around the area as well, and the Gulf Beaches are only 15 minutes.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:41 AM

523 posts, read 2,830,522 times
I lived near the pier 35 yrs ago, and walked to work at the Phone Company, I would not be biking near downtown sorry, stay clear of any thing south of Central Avenue for sure. The rent is high for a bartender. Sorry to sound negative, I was assaulted one day,walking to pier back then. Lots of homeless around and stuff.

Old 05-21-2007, 05:15 AM

22 posts, read 98,877 times
Smile Thanks Guys, for the great info!

Hi Guys, Thanks so much for the great info and advice! The area is sounding pretty cool so I am now checking out your recommendations (and expressed concerns)! By the way, is the downtown area of St. Pete. any more or less vulnerable during Hurricane season than other local areas?

Old 05-21-2007, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 15,265 times
I have lived in St. Petersburg for 39 years, It is a very nice place.
As for Hurricanes two years ago it was very active last year was normal
Hurricanes are not as common as the news makes them out to be.
The only weather problem with downtown/northeast is street flooding during the rainy season however the water does not stay long.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:31 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Yes, it's perfect for you!!! It's exactly the area in Tampa Bay that you want. I lived there for four years and would never have left if it weren't for a job out of state. Lots of good bars and restaurants around downtown, great public transportation though so much of it is walkable...very diverse, very artsy, lots of museums. It's maybe 40 minutes from Tampa Airport when there's traffic.

Try here for nice apartments 13-14 blocks north of downtown:

http://www.crescentlakeapartments.com/main.php

There's also Times Square Apartments right downtown --- google Creative Loafing Tampa and check the classifieds, they don't have a website. Enjoy!
How extensive is the bus system in St Pete, I heard it is much better than the pitiful system that Tampa has. Thanks.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:32 AM

942 posts, read 1,393,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robinnjohnson View Post
There are definitely places for you to live downtown and if you do, getting around by bike or walking is easy. Don't know if you are looking to buy or rent. You can rent a nice 1/1 for about 1,200 a month. I you want to buy, the lowest price would be a downtown studio with 450 square feet for $150K, or you would be about 200-250K for a small 1/1. Numerouse places for you to work as a bartender or waiter.
$1200 seems like a very high price for a 1 bed apt in St Pete, is that in a modern highrise type setting, or is that a small house.

Old 05-21-2007, 04:42 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridasunshine View Post
I lived near the pier 35 yrs ago, and walked to work at the Phone Company, I would not be biking near downtown sorry, stay clear of any thing south of Central Avenue for sure.
Not true anymore, it's fine down to 22nd Ave S...especially Old Southeast, where I rented a 1 br for a year for $500 in 2003 and there was a studio for rent next to me for $375. Gorgeous neighborhood.

OP once you get there you should bike around it and look for for rent signs.

Old Southeast - go down 4th street and make a left at 22nd Ave S. Take it to the end, make a left on Beach Drive and you're there.

Also re. S. St. Pete - the area around 4th and 13th Ave South has totally gentrified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay