Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 PM

3 posts, read 7,329 times

Advertisements

Hi, we're moving to the Tampa area in a couple of months. My husbands job will be in Largo. Does anyone know what the commute time will be leaving Citrus Park around 6:00 AM and returning around 5PM? What other areas would you suggest for a family to live in with good schools and with an OK commute to Largo? 35 minutes would ideal...thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 05:40 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
My DH does the trip routinely from just east of Citrus Park to the Ulmerton & Starkey Rd area in Largo. He allocates at least one hour each way. The Veteran's Expressway will be approx 12 miles going south and the Courtney Campbell Causeway will be another 15 miles going west. Then add in the extra miles from the starting point and the destination...does this make sense? And, when there are delays on the causeway bridge... well, it can test your patience. If he's working around Ulmerton Rd, he can take the Bayside Bridge in Clearwater and avoid some of the stop and go because of all the traffic lights on Gulf to Bay (aka SR 60).

Last edited by TampaKaren; 11-03-2008 at 05:49 PM..

Old 11-03-2008, 06:02 PM

52 posts, read 122,718 times
Veterans to the Howard Frankland I think would be the quickest.Get off at Ulmerton.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,600,605 times
I thought so to, but my husband said the road construction around TIA would add another 15 minutes to get to the Howard Frankland (I-275 S). Here's a helpful website --> My Tampa Bay Interstates

Old 11-03-2008, 07:31 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,194,689 times
The AM commute wouldn't be nearly as bad as the PM commute if he leaves at 6 am.. IMHO

Coming home is def going to be an hour..

Old 11-03-2008, 08:40 PM

101 posts, read 530,237 times
My husband does the daily commute from Citrus Park down to Raytheon's outpost on 22nd Ave (a bit South of Largo). He leaves at 6:00am and takes Veterans down to 275, then across on 22nd....in the morning that runs him about 40 minutes. The homebound commute takes closer to an hour. Both ways can be significantly longer if there is oddball construction going on or an accident.

Coming from D.C. it's a slight improvement for him so he's taking it in stride; but I'll be honest with you: It's rough.

Good luck!

Old 11-04-2008, 01:40 PM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
thats a lonngg drive.. I Drive alot, its just a pain. eventually it wont be so bad. I dont notice the airport construction causing traffic to be any worse then it was before, hopefully when its done it will help it though.. Ulmerton also sucks to drive down, its been under construction forever now and doesnt seem to ever make any progress.. Im sure once its all done it wont be that bad of a ride

Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 PM

3 posts, read 7,329 times
thanks for all your tips. we'll have to come out and try it.... I think Citrus Park looks great for the kids and I...close to their activities and Sickles HS looks like it's a decent school...just a bummer commute for my husband! We thought about Palm Harbor, but the homes are older, and isn't the home owners insurance higher due to hurricane threat? Is Citrus Park an area that would have to evacuate?

I can ask in another thread, but if anyone reads this...what is the closest snow skiing to go to in the winter for a family trip....flying I'm assuming!

thanks again for your time!

Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 AM

1,613 posts, read 3,238,517 times
I grew up right around citrus park (its actually carollwood here but I did go to sickles, its generally the same area). You really dont need to evacuate. Were not in a flood zone or anything here so thats not to much of a threat although some roads do flood just from the amount of rain that comes with the hurricane. If a cat 5 is coming or something alot of people will probably leave. I most likely wouldnt just because were really not THAT close to the shore which is where most of the damage comes, also because we havent ever really been hit here by anything serious so im not to scared of them lol (which is the case with most people here).

With all of that said, I would STRONGLY recomend the citrus park area. Commute will SUCK right now, but in a year or 2 when all the construction is done i really dont see it being more than 30 minutes away.

The closest snow skiing I would say is like gatlinburg tennessee. Its a pretty nice place and im sure its the closest to actually hit snow. Dont expect any snow here, were lucky to break into the 30's 3-4 times a year in the middle of the night lol. We get a very thin layer of frost about 1 day a year and are amazed by it.. you wont see it unless your up at about 6 though haha.

Good luck on your move. I hope you like the beach, there isnt much else to do lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay