Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2009, 05:01 PM

33 posts, read 143,639 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure if I am posting this on the right forum. I just looked at a map and found Lakeland, and see it is close to Tampa. With 3 little kids we'd like an area with good schools, parks, nice downtown area... Does anyone have suggestions on somewhere driving distance to Lakeland? I've never been to FL before...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:40 PM

326 posts, read 1,301,836 times
The downtown area of Lakeland is really nice.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:17 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
We have a member gypsychic who has posted a lot of good info about Lakeland. You can do a search using the 'search this forum' button on the right top.

Old 03-14-2009, 07:24 AM

178 posts, read 392,541 times
As I don't have kids I don't know about the schools, but downtown Lakeland is very nice, as are all the parks I've seen. At Lake Mirror there is a very nice family park with dry and wet (spray) play areas. I was over there yesterday (I'm planning to move soon too) and drove past something I had to go back and check out. It's called common ground and maybe it's common other places, but this is the most incredible kids play park that I've ever seen, very cool. Check out Home page for Parks & Recreation Department it seems to me that Lakeland has a very good parks and rec program. There are also lots of natural areas and trails outside of town.

I wish I had a job there now, need to find one, but I really like the area. Yes parts of it are trashy, AND parts of it are VERY nice. For myself it's not too big, or to small and it's about equal distance between two much larger cities. I do wish it was more progressive though, don't expect for example to find a great organic foods market there. I found a small one yesterday, but nothing like Whole Foods.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:47 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
I agree with everything Explorer Dave said. Lakeland truly does have a fantastic parks and recreation program, best I've seen in Florida so that is a great plus.

I love the downtown, it is built around a park like a town square, and there is also the beautiful Lake Mirror Park and Promenade with the children's park, Hollis Gardens and an amphitheater where they often have free concerts.

As Dave said, the food scene is somewhat lacking, but there are some nice restaurants, a couple natural foods places and a farmer's market with organic stuff on Saturdays downtown. Publix does a great job of selling a lot of organic stuff as well and there are many nice Publix stores in the area, especially since Lakeland is Publix headquarters.

Can't help about schools since we have no kids but there are good ones and not-so-good ones, just as you will find everywhere in Florida. Lastly, Lakeland is only about 30-40 minutes from Disney, so if your little ones like that is it really convenient.

I would recommend downtown and south of downtown for areas to live, also there is a really nice open-air mall called Lakeside Village just southwest of the downtown.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-15-2009, 06:34 PM

3 posts, read 9,659 times
i agree! the South Lakeland is very nice AKA down town! beautiful lakes and parks and ect... i live on the north side but visit the southside all the time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: