Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2009, 06:32 PM

2 posts, read 4,867 times

Advertisements

My spring break is coming up this weekend. Im going to be staying in Tampa from the 28th - 1st
I was wondering where the best beaches in that area are?
Ive heard good things about Clearwater?
Is it currently warm enough to swim in the ocean in that area?

Id really like to learn the basics of some sort of watersport (ie: surfing, skim boarding, etc). Any suggestions?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 4,867 times
anyone?

Old 03-26-2009, 02:02 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,633,921 times
Clearwater is a popular beach with spring breakers. As for "best beach" it depends on exactly what you want, there are many nice beaches here. Well, at least until the red tide arrives... Is it warm enough to swim? Well, where are you from? Canadians swim here in what is the dead of winter to us. Some people won't go in unless it is deepest summer and the Gulf is as warm as a bathtub. The current water temp at Clearwater Beach is 72ºF. So for most people I'd say that is warm enough. The Gulf beaches are great for skimboarding, but there aren't really surfable waves unless a tropical cyclone is churning. For surfing you should try an east coast beach like Cocoa beach.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:23 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,895,174 times
I love St. Pete Beach, It's my favorite. Last I went the water was fairly clear too.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:52 PM

38 posts, read 125,827 times
I live in Safety Harbor, we go to Clearwater Beach alot. It is really touristy and sometimes crowded at this time of the year. I think it adds to the atmosphere! The water temp is okay right now, but a little on the cool side. It's great to jump in for a few minutes to cool off, but more than a few minutes and it gets chilly.

From Clearwater Beach south, the beaches are great. Wide and groomed white sand. To the north the majority of public beaches are more natural with rocks and seaweed. It really depends on what YOU consider a nice beach.

Clearwater and south will be packed this time of year, north of Clearwater the beaches will be less crowded.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay