Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2009, 06:26 AM

74 posts, read 347,276 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated to Homosassa and I'm curious about the frequency of termite treatments here. We purchased a new home and have had a couple bug treatment companies trying to get our business. So, is it necessary to treat for termites every year and what's a fair price?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:28 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
I looked up a recent quote I received. The $999 plan includes full Subterranean and Drywood Termite treatment with a 12 month warranty. After year one, the contract is renewable for four years at $199 per year.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:35 AM

162 posts, read 677,725 times
If Termidor was used, it is supposed to last several years (5-7) I believe, unless it is disturbed. When our home was built it was treated and shortly after we had moved in and landscaped the company came back out, inspected, and retreated, at no charge. There were no signs of problems but we were told that the permiter of the house had been disturbed too much since treated. Many treatment companies offer an insurance policy that will compensate you if termites damage your home. They will come out annually and inspect and retreat if necessary which is included in that "insurance" price.

As for regular bugs, the price depends on whether you are using the regular spray method or tube in the wall method. The tube method (which I have) is almost twice the price of spraying. I switched to spraying this year for cost and I can't be sure if I am seeing more bugs as a result of that or if it's just because our home is finally settled and they're finding their way in. I have found the spray companies have required me to call back and schedule them for regular intervals whereas the tube people just showed up quarterly. I may try treating myself with what I can purchase at the local "Bug Depot" stores.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 7,803 times
I'm an ex-Termite-Pest Control Technician. The best termite treatment by far, is the use of sodium borates, or disodium octoborate terahydrate. (I call it DOT) Don't let the technical name scare you, as it's about as toxic as table salt!
As a matter of fact it's a natural mineral from the salt family. It's basically a form of boric acid that is water soluable, meaning you can mix it with water easily. It has basically no toxic fumes and thus, no odor. Borates mode of action isn't the same as most typical termite treatments. Borates are used as a wood treatment, instead of treating the dirt around your home. It renders the wood impenatrable, to not just termites, but almost all wood destroying organisms.
If you've never heard of it, it's because it basically works too good to be profitable for your local Pest Control Company, especially here in the good ole' US. But the companies that care more about Mother Earth than profits are starting to catch on. They've been using borates in Australia and Europe for over 50 years now and it's still working! If your local PC Operator isn't aware of it, or doesn't use it, find one that does.
Besides, it's so easy to apply, any do it yourself homeowner can treat their own home, especially if they have an easily accessible "crawl-space" type construction. Borates comes in a powder and/or a thick liquid and it is simply mixed with water and sprayed or brushed on bare wood. It can be purchased under various trade-names at any do it yourself type pest control stores, or websites.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:07 PM

357 posts, read 800,068 times
Sodium borate = Borax, isn't it? You can buy that stuff at the grocery store!
I know it's good in its powder form for sprinkling into carpet, brushing it deep into the fibers, then vacuuming out several hours later or the next day. At least for fleas, that is.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:39 AM

338 posts, read 1,012,507 times
Boric acid products are also used as a fire retardent on wooden structures. Good for getting rid of roaches and fleas too. And it is safer than other products out there.

Old 03-03-2010, 12:55 PM

59 posts, read 435,578 times
The original question is "is the frequency' of termite treatments.
You cannot treat every year as per label laws..retreatment is either done because of re-infestation or lack of contract. Fair price depends on what you have as far as construction.

Borates are very limited once the construction is done unless you want to strip off all the drywall and apply it directly to the studs etc. You could drill all the voids in between each stud and foam it but a soil treatment with termidor sc will cost less and be more practical and less destructive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay