Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Relocation from Fort Lauderdale to Tampa Bay area Florida, affordable housing in Hyde Park and South Tampa Bay Shore, safe and suburban areas neighborhoods for singles, not Pinellas County

Old 04-23-2007, 08:37 AM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times

Advertisements

next month i am finally out of here, broward county that is. i am so excited to leave here as within 5 yrs i have seen this area literally go to hell. i am originally from long island, ny and also used to live in san diego, ca. i am 33 and still live a younger guys lifestyle. i am really looking forward to tampa and hopeful that it will be very, very different than south florida. from my visits there it seems that it may be but it also seemed to be resembling south florida on some fronts and maybe heading in that direction. i know many, many people are fleeing south florida and heading north. SO, what can i expect in tampa??? regarding the people/single girls....mostly friendly, down to earth, english speaking or way superficial, shady, spanish speaking and largely uneducated??? regarding jobs- wide array of higher paying jobs or mostly customer service based hourly wage dead end jobs? ive been told to avoid tampa if i want to make more than 30 or 40k/yr.....? traffic(75, 274, 4)- south florida is abismal is tampa any better....ive seen it to be just as bad if not worse but i dont live there yet. weather- is the may-october stretch unliveable, ive heard it is around 95 everyday and outside sports like golf are not possible. transient- is it mostly a spot where people r just passing through and leave within a few years? anyhow, i am hoping that tampa is very different than south florida, i really am....any info would be great....where to live? is south tampa bayshore, hyde park affordable (under $1,000/month rent) and the place for single people? is ybor just punk kids and mostly dangerous? what about nearby suburbs like brandon? i also heard to avoid living in pinellas county unless u work there, that us 19 is crazy. so, is tampa going to be very different than lauderdale??? thnx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 10:02 AM

471 posts, read 1,661,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
i also heard to avoid living in pinellas county unless u work there, that us 19 is crazy.
Depends on who you ask, I know a number of people in your age group-including my dd-who work in Tampa and wouldn't consider living anywhere else but Pinellas County. And US19 is not the route necessarily used in any way to get to Tampa-it runs north/south not east/west.

Old 04-23-2007, 11:55 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
next month i am finally out of here, broward county that is. i am so excited to leave here as within 5 yrs i have seen this area literally go to hell. i am originally from long island, ny and also used to live in san diego, ca. i am 33 and still live a younger guys lifestyle. i am really looking forward to tampa and hopeful that it will be very, very different than south florida. from my visits there it seems that it may be but it also seemed to be resembling south florida on some fronts and maybe heading in that direction. i know many, many people are fleeing south florida and heading north. SO, what can i expect in tampa??? regarding the people/single girls....mostly friendly, down to earth, english speaking or way superficial, shady, spanish speaking and largely uneducated??? regarding jobs- wide array of higher paying jobs or mostly customer service based hourly wage dead end jobs? ive been told to avoid tampa if i want to make more than 30 or 40k/yr.....? traffic(75, 274, 4)- south florida is abismal is tampa any better....ive seen it to be just as bad if not worse but i dont live there yet. weather- is the may-october stretch unliveable, ive heard it is around 95 everyday and outside sports like golf are not possible. transient- is it mostly a spot where people r just passing through and leave within a few years? anyhow, i am hoping that tampa is very different than south florida, i really am....any info would be great....where to live? is south tampa bayshore, hyde park affordable (under $1,000/month rent) and the place for single people? is ybor just punk kids and mostly dangerous? what about nearby suburbs like brandon? i also heard to avoid living in pinellas county unless u work there, that us 19 is crazy. so, is tampa going to be very different than lauderdale??? thnx
I am a fifty-something female, born and raised in Tampa, of Spanish heritage. Tampa is totally different from South Florida - it has always been an area for business and industry rather than resort living, so in my opinion a good area for jobs. Yes, it is very diverse here, and there are certainly some rough or shady types, but overall the population is very friendly and helpful, and the diversity makes for an interesting city. Summer weather is hot and humid, but it's not really that unbearable, just stay out of the sun during that time!

As a young single man, you will enjoy south Tampa, Channelside and Ybor City - all of which offer night life and plenty to do. Best place to live would be South Tampa and I think you can find something in your price range. As to jobs, it depends on your experience and what you do, but overall this is not what I would call a "hospitality" driven job market. My husband has had very good jobs here, and has an excellent one now.

Hope this helps, and good luck!

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

713 posts, read 2,670,512 times
Default A beautiful community outside of Tampa is...

Spring Hill, FL. Rural areas left, unhurried w/pretty residential communities. A beautiful area which much potential if the city fathers don't mess things up. I'd return there in a heartbeat if I didn't have work down south. Ah, me.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:01 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,966,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
I am a fifty-something female, born and raised in Tampa, of Spanish heritage. Tampa is totally different from South Florida - it has always been an area for business and industry rather than resort living, so in my opinion a good area for jobs. Yes, it is very diverse here, and there are certainly some rough or shady types, but overall the population is very friendly and helpful, and the diversity makes for an interesting city. Summer weather is hot and humid, but it's not really that unbearable, just stay out of the sun during that time!

As a young single man, you will enjoy south Tampa, Channelside and Ybor City - all of which offer night life and plenty to do. Best place to live would be South Tampa and I think you can find something in your price range. As to jobs, it depends on your experience and what you do, but overall this is not what I would call a "hospitality" driven job market. My husband has had very good jobs here, and has an excellent one now.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
thanks a lot, that actually sounds pretty encouraging from a true native of tampa

Old 04-23-2007, 03:30 PM

17 posts, read 60,093 times
I am thirty years old and married. I love where I live in the Brandon area and am in the unique position of owning my own business since moving here. It is more laid back than other major cities, but I was not looking for a nightlife driven city to live. I wanted a great place for my kids to grow while being able to live comfortably financially and mentally.

You have to sit and gauge what you have to offer (professionally) and what kind of lifestyle before choosing where to live. There is a stigma that jobs pay less. But that all depends what you do. My wifes friend is a nurse and recently moved down and is being paid over 90k a year. She loves it.

All depends what you do and how you want to live.

Old 06-28-2007, 10:49 AM

10 posts, read 51,648 times
Florida101 what part of Brandon would you recommend to live. I am moving from NJ to Fl and am searching for a nice, quiet area near Tampa. Are there sink holes? How expensive is the flood and home ins and property tax? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: