Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 06:08 AM

316 posts, read 1,037,274 times

Advertisements

we are looking from the Clearwater Beach area - up the coast maybe no more than New Port Richey. We are on a quest for no HOA, or as minimal bud out of our lifes HOA as we can possibly find.

Does any place exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Nav

346 posts, read 1,491,403 times
The only way to find a "non HOA' type area is to find a older neighborhood. Most HOA's were put in place to keep a basic standard of living acceptable to the residents. Primarily, just to prohibit someone from opening a business of leaving broken down cars in the front yard. There are varying degrees of HOA's and you will have to look to find one that suits your liking.

If you are looking in a formal "Planned Community", get ready to be regulated and fee'd to death. These communities have such requirements as "submit paint samples for approval" to "you cant leave a car in the driveway overnight" to "all lawns must be mowed weekly". Its more like a prison camp. Most of these places view their homes not as "homes" but more as "investments". Other places are more lenient such as "No running a walk-in based business out of your home".

I would recommend looking at some of the older areas on west side of Lake Tarpon or in the older section of safety harbor. If you head north to the planned communities in Eastlake and Trinity, you will find massive HOA regulations.

Nav

Old 08-03-2009, 01:47 PM

61 posts, read 188,351 times
Yes older communities may not have an HOA - but some communities with an HOA have very low fees, it just depends where you go. If you have a Realtor do a search for you, they can pull homes with no HOA.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:20 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav View Post

I would recommend looking at some of the older areas on west side of Lake Tarpon or in the older section of safety harbor. If you head north to the planned communities in Eastlake and Trinity, you will find massive HOA regulations.

Nav
There's also downtown Dunedin, both just north and just south of Main Street.

Old 08-05-2009, 12:28 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,893,838 times
There's plenty of places without a home owners association. I agree with previous posters, mostly in older neighborhoods.
It would help you if you have a broker pointing these out for you.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:00 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
There's a lot to be said about having HOA. I for one prefer an orderly neighborhood (not a prison camp) where people aren't parking on their front lawns, running a beauty salon out of their house, etc.

HOA are good in that many of your utilities (cable, lawn H20) and lawn maintenance may be covered in the fee.

No complaints here w/ HOA - hope I never live another day where I have to mow grass in Florida heat or have to see my neighbor's car on blocks in his driveway for a year without moving.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:29 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
There's a lot to be said about having HOA. I for one prefer an orderly neighborhood (not a prison camp) where people aren't parking on their front lawns, running a beauty salon out of their house, etc.

HOA are good in that many of your utilities (cable, lawn H20) and lawn maintenance may be covered in the fee.

No complaints here w/ HOA - hope I never live another day where I have to mow grass in Florida heat or have to see my neighbor's car on blocks in his driveway for a year without moving.
Each to his own taste, as the saying goes.

I just wish the people in those heavily-regulated, deed-restricted neighborhoods would put street numbers someplace visible, because it's bloody impossible to find a house for the first time when they're all in a tight range of beige stucco and hidden behind attached garages, and have precisely one potted croton by the door.

At least where we are, you can say "it's right after the pale yellow house" or "it's the one with the gorgeous jacaranda". (No cars on blocks or to navigate by, sorry.)

Old 08-26-2009, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

ok that is spoken like I would expect it - if you note I'm sick of the HOA crap in Florida... I'm from the midwest - no HOA at all - where people aren't rednecks or crackers...and not at all slobs. As well as they aren't stuck up either. I am looking for that quality in a neighborhood. People actually taking care of their stuff.

If that can not be found anywhere in Florida without having an HOA...then this state is a dump. Since when does any ADULT require a board of runamuck egotistical dorks to tell them how to maintain a property? Does an oil stain on a driveway really look bad (watch it cause yes is not the answer here...unless you are an anal rentative idiot) ... and don't claim like some HOAs that that oil stain will lower property values.... that's pure crap.

We like our freedom - no HOA not unless it is powerless - meaning - they are merely there to organize events and social things like that...not approve what color I want to paint my house......

Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 AM

108 posts, read 308,244 times
A lot of neighborhoods don't have a choice but to charge HOA fees. That gated entrance, community gym, pool, etc. all require maintenance... someone has to pay for it. In some instances the fee might include things like lawn care and cable/internet connection. Just the presence of HOA fees should not in itself be a dealbreaker IMO, as it could very well be worth it or even save you money.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:41 PM

you could look at it this way however being a homeowner for 27 years with no HOA and a few with one.... the difference is huge...not to mention what we would consider infringement on our living rights. We have 'cable' here...I use quotes because while it's (over)charged in the HOA fees I do not have it - it's 200% garbage. I work from home and require a solid High speed connection that is secure - they can't deliver high speed nor secure. lawn care is not included at all....and personally why cut my lawn if you aren't going to do the rest?

Last but not least - if I want my house white and it's not in the color scheme for that particular track of housing - bite me. I don't need some yo-yo's holding up my plans to do anything until they approve it.... I don't need them to tell me what improves my property value.... I don't even care about gates.

If this state's people can't act civilized rather than poor white trash then I guess it in 500% overrated. I would generally assume that not 100% of the state is poor white trash...and that there are areas that people can act grown up and civilized. Hey I don't care if you park your boat on the side of the house. I don't care that your kid crashed the car and it's sitting on the drive way until he has the money to fix it. I don't care if there is a basketball net planted in front of your house. I don't care if your dog likes to pee on my lawn.... I do care if a group of people tell me the color of my house, whether I can put a fence in my back yard including the color and type.

I don't believe the government should have their nose in our lives and that goes for an HOA also. I'm an adult with a brain and have common sense.... these should be my choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay