Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 09:33 AM

11 posts, read 24,035 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for areas that would meet the following requirements in the tampa area:

1. Walkable to stores such as target type stores as well as farmers markets/food shopping.

2. Safe

3. Religiously diverse or neutral. I'm Jewish/Agnostic and don't want to be in an area that is unwelcoming to Jewish people.(We hold no malice towards anyone of any faith)

4. Places to take our kids. Like a little gym type place.

5. Not a far drive to decent restaurants and shopping.

Thanks so much in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:05 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
No such thing as those things you mentioned be in the same area, UNLESS you are talking about miles of walking......

There are streets and sub divisions in Lutz/Odessa/Citrus Park/Wesley Chapel etc that you could walk to a Target and but what about going back carrying things in this heat? IF you're thinking NY type of walking to things, this is not the place for that I am afraid.....some mentioned there might be areas that are more walkable in Dunedin but again, going shopping in this heat and having to carry stuff back doesn't sound appealing to me.....

I have no idea about the religion thing as I never ask what people's religions are! or assume I know! I don't know what kind of people do that!???

Old 08-31-2009, 10:31 AM

I'm not looking to go full-out shopping, just looking for an area where my wife can take the baby for a walk and pickup a couple of small things once in a while or stop for coffee without having to take the car.

As for the religious thing, I would also never ask what someone's religion was. I guess you could say I'm just interested in an area that isn't heavily concentrated with right wing nut jobs like those who watch Fox news all day and actually believe any of the garbage they spew.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:37 AM

Carrollwood comes to mind, if you live behind Dale Mabry/Ehrlich Rd hwy on either side, she can walk to these types of stores, but there is traffic and sidewalks around are scarce.............it is VERY TRICKY, I am used to be able to walk around like you describe and haven't found an area yet in Tampa where I can do that comfortably.

You know what, honestly, I don't know what to tell you about that because on my street for example everyone is for themselves and no one makes eye contact!!!!????????????? sooooooooooo....and I am not the type to travel to some other sub division to check out if I can have more friends there....Florida is really weird like that...not just Tampa....my husband and I can't seem to find normal people to make friends with.....everyone seems to leave very early in the am come late and hide in their own homes.....the homes around us barely have visitors!??????? really weird!

Old 08-31-2009, 10:47 AM

We are fortunate in that my work is stable and I am flexible about location.

We would love to be able to make friends with other couples in our chosen area. Especially those who also have small children.

Perhaps we need to look further south in an area like Sarasota.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:09 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smm5 View Post
We are fortunate in that my work is stable and I am flexible about location.

We would love to be able to make friends with other couples in our chosen area. Especially those who also have small children.

Perhaps we need to look further south in an area like Sarasota.
Many areas of south Tampa will fill the bill for you, Tampaguy03 is our expert on this forum for that area as he lives there and will have many recommendations.

I happen to live in Sarasota, and Sarasota is completely walkable with loads of amenities in the downtown area - downtown has Whole Foods, several small ethnic bakeries, many independent restaurants, coffee shops, a state of the art library, bayfront park, movie theaters, art movie theater, antiques and really almost anything you want or need. There is a farmer's market there on Saturday. Plus, it's a quick hop over the Ringling Bridge to St. Armand's Circle and Lido Beach.

We have many Targets and Walmarts, but they are located further east of town. Lots of great shopping on University Parkway.

Come give it a look!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM

Yeah I agree with St. Armand's Circle being really cool, but properties around/close/walking distance to that are probably very expensive......just a guess? are they Gypsychic? We liked it there, it reminded us of Las Olas a bit.....

Old 08-31-2009, 11:12 AM

@gypsychic Sounds very enticing. My only reservation about Sarasota is that I thought it might lack things to do for a young family, but the more I read about it the more I feel Sarasota is a great place to live. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:05 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Yeah I agree with St. Armand's Circle being really cool, but properties around/close/walking distance to that are probably very expensive......just a guess? are they Gypsychic? We liked it there, it reminded us of Las Olas a bit.....
Well, yes, they are, properties on any of the keys and beaches here are expensive; but I was merely pointing out the easy proximity to the area from the neighborhoods around downtown. There are a variety of areas and neighborhoods near downtown in every price range, as well as condos depending on what one is looking for.

And to the OP, it's pretty diverse here religion wise, this is a small but very cosmopolitan little city, with many Europeans and others living here part or full time, as well as new age types, probably every religion is represented here. We do have a segment of Jewish population as well. You definitely will not have any issues here on that front.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:37 PM

Thanks gypsychic. As for our budget I'm not terribly concerned as we are coming from NYC where its very expensive and having checked prices in Sarasota it seems like a good value to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay