Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 10:06 AM

1,478 posts, read 5,082,292 times

Advertisements

Here's another one for Tampa:
Tampa is at the bottom of the list of walkable cities
Study: Tampa not so "walkable" - National & World News - Tampa Bay's 10 - tampabays10.com (broken link)

We all agree we should reduce greenhouse emmissions and cut our dependency on mid-east oil. And gas prices are too high. We'll do anything to help, except drive less.
People in Tampa think that highway construction and maintenance, emergency services, and traffic control are free, and gas costs too much even though, adjusted for inflation, it cost's about what it did in the 30's thanks to subsidies and tax breaks to oil companies.
But subsidized public transit?! Urban planning with high density and mixed use (commercial/residential)?! That's not how we do things. We don't even want to share our SUVs by car-pooling when we sit in traffic every morning.
Mayor Pam and city council are trying, I'll give them that. But what a long way we have to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:11 PM

254 posts, read 591,206 times
I can say without a doubt that downtown Tampa is no place for pedestrians. I work out in New Tampa (very unwalkable place, btw), but live in South Tampa. My travel route home is 275 south to downtown. I cut through town to get to BayShore Blvd by going down Tampa St. Why? Because the streets are wide and there are no pedestrians. It's a fast street for cars pouring off 275 heading to the convention center or the arena. As a driver, I love it as a short cut. But I look at those new condos going up on Tampa St and say no way would I ever live there. Tampa and Ashley St's are for fast moving cars three deep, not for walkers. The new condos won't contribute many pedestrians anyway. They sit on ten story concrete parking garages, so most people will probably drive in and out to go any place useful, this making it even harder for walkers to navigate.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:04 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
That list ranked Miami as being more walkable than NYC. It's a load of crap. I would call Tampa more walkable than Miami. But I can't think of a single sunbelt city that is pedestrian friendly. The last sentence in that article was spot on.

Old 12-06-2007, 07:18 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnland View Post
I can say without a doubt that downtown Tampa is no place for pedestrians. I work out in New Tampa (very unwalkable place, btw), but live in South Tampa. My travel route home is 275 south to downtown. I cut through town to get to BayShore Blvd by going down Tampa St. Why? Because the streets are wide and there are no pedestrians. It's a fast street for cars pouring off 275 heading to the convention center or the arena. As a driver, I love it as a short cut. But I look at those new condos going up on Tampa St and say no way would I ever live there. Tampa and Ashley St's are for fast moving cars three deep, not for walkers. The new condos won't contribute many pedestrians anyway. They sit on ten story concrete parking garages, so most people will probably drive in and out to go any place useful, this making it even harder for walkers to navigate.
Beware as there are big changes coming to Ashley Drive, less lanes, medians with more trees, they are making it the "gateway" into Tampa, during construction of the new Museum of Art, Children's Museum and Curtis Hixon Park along the Riverwalk. They will also be looking to change the light patterns along Tampa Street and Florida Avenue, right now, they all go green at the same time, and it's a race through downtown.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:30 AM

Default you might be half right

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That list ranked Miami as being more walkable than NYC. It's a load of crap. I would call Tampa more walkable than Miami. But I can't think of a single sunbelt city that is pedestrian friendly. The last sentence in that article was spot on.
I think they were measuring towns within those large cities and Coral Gables ranked high. Surely Miami is not more walkable than New York. I'll take a closer look at the study.
But there is no way Tampa is more walkable than Miami.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:33 AM

They've done allot of good to Meridian Ave, too. When they finally re-develop the Central Park area, I think they'll be moving in the right direction. Again, I give the Mayor and City Council credit, they're trying.

Old 12-07-2007, 07:52 AM

205 posts, read 989,457 times
Tampa is a very unwalkable city...easy to see by looking around.

The Tampa area was also ranked very high on the list of most dangerous places in the nation for pedestrians.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:21 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
My husband who works downtown Tampa saw a woman attempt to cross the street and was struck and killed by a racing car.

Tampa is the most UNWALKABLE city I have ever seen. Only parts of south Tampa and Ybor are walkable, shameful for a city this size.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:50 AM

892 posts, read 1,576,492 times
It is not just the "lay out" of the city. It is also the "every man for himself" attitude of this state. Just go to any strip mall or grocery store parking lot and watch pedestrians trying to cross the pavement in front of the store- it is rediculous. The drivers are annoyed that people are trying to get into the store.

Old 12-10-2007, 04:27 PM

15 posts, read 63,910 times
define not walkable? meaning if i lived in a condo downtown i couldnt walk to the nearest market to grab something?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: