Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:27 PM

428 posts, read 1,243,748 times

Advertisements

I've actually heard of car thefts from garages in our area also. Most homes have detached garages here, so once the crook is inside the garage, he's got plenty of cover to do his bit and hot wire the car. So thats why even when our cars are in the garage, I'm thinking we're going to use the club.

The home break ins are another story; this is where it starts to encroach on personal safety... people are coming into the place where you and your family live. Some guy high on drugs looking to make a quick grab might end up making a really awful decision if he is armed and sees people in the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
This is how Storage Facilities make their money, it is almost like a conspiracy between the builder/architects and these facilities..........
From what I hear, the storage facility can be a great business to run. You're basically collecting money month after month for very little effort, compared to a lot of businesses. You don't need a lot of employees, don't need to keep crazy hours, and you're not really a landlord in the sense that your "tenants" will be calling you at midnight with a leaky faucet complaint.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I've actually heard of car thefts from garages in our area also. Most homes have detached garages here, so once the crook is inside the garage, he's got plenty of cover to do his bit and hot wire the car. So thats why even when our cars are in the garage, I'm thinking we're going to use the club.

The home break ins are another story; this is where it starts to encroach on personal safety... people are coming into the place where you and your family live. Some guy high on drugs looking to make a quick grab might end up making a really awful decision if he is armed and sees people in the house.
St.Pete seems to one of the few local area that crime is up for some reason.

Tampa crime is down as well as Pasco, Polk and Hernando. Pinellas is up about 1% but that may be a carry over from St.Pete.

It is more property crime than anything. Violent crime is down just about everywhere locally.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:30 AM

68 posts, read 258,796 times
The Club will do nothing to protect you against a car thief. It just takes a $5 hacksaw and about 30 seconds to remove.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:06 PM

316 posts, read 1,037,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
The Club will do nothing to protect you against a car thief. It just takes a $5 hacksaw and about 30 seconds to remove.
I can vouch for this one - you may want to try a boot or known as "the denver boot" that takes a bit more time to get out of the way. However I also have found that the absurd seems to conquer in this area - get yourself a chain and chain the car to the house - the prospective thief will take one look and move on LOL

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag View Post
Your point is valid... to a point. One could make the same argument for locking your doors or rolling up your windows- e.g. why bother doing those things.

However now that I think of it, the least effective place to use a club probably is in the garage, because this is where the thief has the most time. And after he has already broken into the garage, he's probably determined to come away with a car. And, to make matters a little more ridiculous, I have a hack saw hanging above my workbench.

On the flip side, reading Amazon reviews for the club, it appears that the device has been highly effective for prior victims of theft in areas that have (1) very high auto theft and (2) hundreds or thousands of candidate vehicles in a small area. The reasoning here is simple: two BMW's, side by side... one with a club, one without. Which one would you break in to?

Old 11-24-2009, 06:42 PM

125 posts, read 213,042 times
I do what I can to protect myself and mine wherever I am, I carry a 350,00 volt stungun and have accress to other types of self protection.
Remember people you have a right to defend yourself!

Old 11-24-2009, 06:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjax1000 View Post
I'm not sure what the heck is going on but crime is really on the rise, at least in my area. Just Monday night alone, we had 6 vehicle thefts/break ins in the Old Northeast. Apparently this is happening to cars that have are locked and have no valuables either in view, or not in view.

Out of morbid curiosity, I pulled up the 3 day report from crimereports.com. Keep in mind they are only partnered with St. Pete and Gulfport. Below is the map.

The disturbing part is that a lot of these crimes could happen to anyone- they're random thefts, break-ins, etc.

I'm ordering a couple of clubs for our cars tonight. An any time I'm awake in the wee hours of the morning I'm going to take a bit of a look outside and see if I see anything suspicious.

Have you seen an upswing in crime in your part of town?
Burglaries are localized, much more common than you think (you won't find a town with 100,000 people that doesn't have at least twice a day on average), and tend to come in waves in neighborhoods.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymmud123 View Post
I do what I can to protect myself and mine wherever I am, I carry a 350,00 volt stungun and have accress to other types of self protection.
Remember people you have a right to defend yourself!
If you keep it in your car though, all you did was turn a burglar into a robber.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay