Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2009, 06:51 AM

3,297 posts, read 6,262,951 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! We are going to be visiting the lovely Tampa Bay area for New Year's this year! We are very excited, as it has been about 15 years since I have been to Tampa! But, I need some good recommendations. We are staying in the Westshore area, right by the airport, and will not have a car. I guess we will be at the mercy of cabbies!!

We are going to the Outback Bowl, and I also have purchased tickets for the Florida Aquarium. I also made reservations at Maggiano's for New Year's Eve dinner. Does anyone have any recommendations of other neat things in the area to see/restaurants/shopping? It will be me, my hubby, and our 11 year old son.

Also, does anyone happen to know the route the Outback parade takes? Our local high school band will be performing, and we really want to see it!

We won't have the time for Busch Gardens, I can tell you that. We are looking for activities that may take 1/2 day of time or so. Also, any feedback on Maggiano's would be appreciated....it makes me nervous that their menu does not include prices . I have heard from someone who ate at one in another city that it was pretty good.

Also, how is the weather this time of year? Temps? We are coming from Huntsville, AL and it is very cold!

Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! See you in a few weeks to ring in the New Year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:10 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,628,093 times
I beleive that parade runs along 7th Avenue in Ybor City (which is a bit east of downtown).

As for Maggiano's, I have heard it is pretty good, but why eat at a chain in a mall when you could eat at a unique Tampa restaurant? I personally love Iavarone's which is sort of a local secret, tucked away on Himes Ave. a bit north of the stadium. You also might want to consider the Columbia in Ybor - the oldest restaurant in Florida featuring interesting architecture and if you get there at the right time, a flamenco dance show. I'm sure other people will add some more suggestions.

I think you will love the Florida Aquarium, I know that I certainly do. You may want to check out Channelside while you are over there - it features tons of restaurants, an upscale bowling alley/pool hall (Splitsville), a movie theatre that features a first run movie on IMAX in addition to the normal theatres, and if you are lucky a view of a cruise ship dwarfing the buildings.

The weather is hard to predict so far out because whether it is warm or cold is completely dependent on whether or not there is a cold front in the area at the time. There is a potential for either sort of weather, but usually if it gets cold here it is only for a few days at most, then it returns to mild temperatures. Check out Tampa, Florida (33601) Conditions & Forecast : Weather Underground a few days before you leave for a better idea of what to expect.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:22 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,376,422 times
Wow, alot has changed in the past 15 years since you been to Tampa. Sicne you wont be renting a car, you will have to do most local things.

The Outback Bowl parade takes place in Ybor City District near downtown(about 10 min from the Westshore area). It runs down 7th Avenue from 21st street to 14th street. You will want to get down there early, it gets very crowded for the Outback Bowl parade and fireworks.

Maggiano's is a nice large chain Italian restaurant, its good, always had a good meal there, plenty of food-huge portions, the prices are a bit above average for a chain. Maggianos is located in Westshore Plaza, about a mile up Westshore Blvd from Westshore Plaza is International Plaza, lots of shops, and an outdoor area called bayStreet with some good restaurants(BRIO, Capital Grille, Cheescake Factory)

While you are at the Aquarium, you may also want to visit the USS Victory WWII Warship and also CHannelside area-shops, restaurants, IMAX theater, upscale bowling restaurant(Splitsville); take a walk along the Tampa Riverwalk-there is a great cafe along the water called Columbia Cafe, a branch of one of Tampa's Icon restaurants. Take the streetcar to Ybor City with the 11 year old and visit the Historic District-check out Gameworks. Theer are some funky and artsy shops along 7th avenue.

If you are into biking, the family can rent bikes downtown at City Bikes, and ride along the Riverwalk or over to Bayshore Blvd.

Just a few suggestions. Also, the HART Bus line #30 runs along Kennedy Blvd from Westshore Plaza to downtown. Although the taxi's would probably be more convenient and timely.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:45 AM

Great info! Keep it coming!

Now, let me ask you this...how is cab transportation in that area? In HSV, we really don't have cabs (well, we do, but we are not a city dependant on a cab service like, say, New York). Do you need to call a cab ahead of time? Can you "hail" taxis with ease in that area? Is there a better method of transportation, such as shuttles/metros?

We are staying right by the hotel, so we will definately need to get our transportation in line on how we are going to get over to the parade/Aquarium and back to our hotel!

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Great info! Keep it coming!

Now, let me ask you this...how is cab transportation in that area? In HSV, we really don't have cabs (well, we do, but we are not a city dependant on a cab service like, say, New York). Do you need to call a cab ahead of time? Can you "hail" taxis with ease in that area? Is there a better method of transportation, such as shuttles/metros?

We are staying right by the hotel, so we will definately need to get our transportation in line on how we are going to get over to the parade/Aquarium and back to our hotel!
I would inquire with the hotel you are staying at about transportation, they may even offer local transport themselves, but at least know more about if cabs are always attainable at their lobby, and the specific bus routes in the area. As far as catching a cab in the city, besides hotel lobby areas, and in high traffic areas like Ybor City and Channelside(they have taxi staging areas in these locations), you must call ahead..just keep the number in your cell phone(United Cab is 813-253-2424). Also, all restaurants, attractions, etc. will call a cab for you as well.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:18 AM

4 posts, read 8,279 times
You can go to the Aquarium and hop on the streetcar ($5 per person for an all day pass) to go to Ybor City to see the parade, dine, drink, walk around, shop, etc. Hop on and off the streetcar and take in the Tampa Bay History Center and of course all of the action at Channelside.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM

Great info! Now I may have to alter our "plans"...

Originally I had reservations for New Year's Eve at Maggiano's, going to the Aquarium that day. BUT, it seems a better plan to go to the Aquarium, hop on the streetcar (how fun!) and go see the parade, then eat....so, any good eateries in the Channelside area (or near where the Outback Bowl parade will be?) Casual dining, as we will have been at the Aquarium ALL day!

Old 12-09-2009, 09:35 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Is Gameworks still in Ybor? You could take a trolley to Ybor from Channelside. Gameworks would be fun for an 11 year old or you could eat at The Columbia in Ybor and skip Maggiano's. Splittsville is fun and you can walk there from the Aquarium. If you like hockey, you can see if there's a game going on at the St Pete Times forum (within walking distance of the aquarium).

Old 12-10-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCTMadison View Post
Great info! Now I may have to alter our "plans"...

Originally I had reservations for New Year's Eve at Maggiano's, going to the Aquarium that day. BUT, it seems a better plan to go to the Aquarium, hop on the streetcar (how fun!) and go see the parade, then eat....so, any good eateries in the Channelside area (or near where the Outback Bowl parade will be?) Casual dining, as we will have been at the Aquarium ALL day!
Some casual dining at Channelside next to the Aquarium include Splitsville, Stumps Supper Club, NYPD Pizza, Hooters. Or you can hop on the streetcar and get into Ybor City for eats at places like Gameworks(Jax), Rock n Sports, Tampa Bay Brewing Co., NYNY Pizza, Hamburger Mary's, Big Mouth.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:51 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
Yellow Cab is also in Tampa, I would take both numbers with you. It can be hard to get a cab on New Years Eve so you will want to have at least another option in case they don't show up. I agree with TPAguy3 that you need to check with the hotel to see if they offer transportation to Ybor or to Channelside.

There are Cuban restaurants in Ybor that are always good but you would have to go early. The Columbia has great spanish/cuban food and is very nice but you should call to see about reservations especially on New Years Eve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: