Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 03:29 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,382,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Tampaguy....if you treat and babysit our kids We will try out some of those places you're naming....going out to eat is really not only not in our budget (gas included there and back) but also not a sport for us, we have our favorites and if/when we DO get to have money and time to go out we would rather go to a place we both like a lot...maybe if we moved to Tampa before kids we would have been more inclined to try out new places...now it is a bit too late for that...

I gave Outback as an example because whatever they have there must be really popular as they always seem to be packed, we noticed this about all the chains around not just Outback....

Also remember that just because there are a lot of restaurants around that doesn't mean much as we are not the only people who have a personal preference.....some people like to restaurant hop some like to stick to their favorite, it is a matter of personal taste...I am not into Chinese, Mexican or Cuban foods....so these joints are not going to be on my list....to give you an example...others are vegeterians....and others can only eat BBQ....to all of these the large selection of restaurants is irrelevant...
Algia - you say in your previous post that "most people in this area cannot afford an expensive restaurant on regular basis.....The only way We would drive more than 15 minutes to go to a restaurant is if we go on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach or on Las Olas.....nothing around here has sparked a light with us yet as far as that goes.."

So please tell me what it is, that Tampa does not have as good as restaurants as Las Olas in Lauderdale or Ocean Drive in South Beach? And if they did you would pack up the kids and drive 15 min to dine there?? What type of places specifically are you looking for that you cant find in the area? Just looking to help out if I can...

I was showing the other readers that there are many many excellent restaurants in the area, and not all of them are expensive and they can suit many different tastes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
If you want to hear live music, St. Pete is your area. Not so much Ybor as most of the clubs there get shut down . Then again, the economy struck live music (in EVERY city in the US) so, it's not as easy to find as it once was. St. Pete seems to be the music place though.
WHAT?! No live music in Ybor? I just saw an amazing show Saturday at the Ritz(Galactic)..ever been to Crowbar, Orpheum, Ritz, Cuban Club?? Awesome venues with all kinds of great local and national acts. And then you have palces like New World Brewery, Blues Shark, Green Iguana, Double Decker, James Joyce Pub, Dirty Shame, JJ's, Gaspars Grotto, Acopolis---live music in Ybor!!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
How many times a week (month) do you think a Hotel worker or a cab driver can afford to go to Bern's? I only saw parking lots full at chain restaurants & fast food joints.....and usually the people who frequent restaurants such as Bern's are in a different income category, the majority that lives here doesn't make $80+ a year......or if they do then I guess chains win.....I don't remember passing a Cracker Barrel for example in the last 8 years in different locations that wasn't packed at different times a day! same goes for Golden Corral.....do I think that's crazy.....yeah...I do....but again that's my personal opinion....

We do pack up the kids as we have family that can watch them down in SFLA.....but again, we're not getting our entertainment out of going to restaurants, shocking I know!

My personal preference if I go out is to go to Miami Beach/Riverwalk/Las Olas, the general atmosphere, I really can't describe it to you, we have great memories there.............would we raise our kids down there NOOOOOOO........But for hubby and I alone that is where we are comfortable and are having the most fun...not saying it's Tampa's fault....it's like arguing why my favorite color is Orange when you would want it to be green! same difference! We had a great time (prior to having kids in SFLA) and that's that.....I am not saying there aren't any excellent restaurants here, I am sure there are, but right now we don't have the time nor money to explore them all, nor we want too....again, not our thing....we also don't take the kids to restaurants if we go....they are too young as far as we are concerned.....

Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
about Ybor......we've been there once since we moved to Tampa and only because I had a photo shoot there and no amount of money will get me to go back down there.......and we were there around 4,5 PM....once again, some people enjoy that type of entertainment, We don't....

Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM

877 posts, read 1,914,531 times
FWIW, we love Ybor for a night out. A lot to do and see.

Thanks to this thread I think we may try to check out Crystal River soon. I'd never paid much attention to it, but it looks like it could be a neat day trip.

I don't think the people here stay close to home anymore than people in other areas of the country. One thing I've noticed is that all of the areas are pretty self-contained, you don't usually need to go to another area to eat or shop, but I think a lot of people do. If I wanted to I could do all my eating out in the Riverview/Brandon area this week and be very satisfied, but we'll probably head out to the beach (or Crystal River) sometime this weekend.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
I am not saying there aren't any excellent restaurants here, I am sure there are, but right now we don't have the time nor money to explore them all, nor we want too....again, not our thing....
Thanks, thats all I needed to see. One cannot comment on the restaurants choices/availability, etc. if one does not go out to them(be it time, money, etc.).

And I once lived in Fort Lauderdale and am very familiar with Las Olas(I lived two blocks off Las Olas), and the Las Olas Riverwalk, South Beach are aof Miami...it is a very different vibe, and thats what makes life so great, so many choices. I have not seen anything in Fort Lauderdale or Miami that I could not get over here in Tampa(except big waves at the beach, and more NY attitudes - I am a NYer by the way).

Good chain restaurants will pack them in ANYWHERE in the USA. Familiarity is one reason, you know what you will get no matter where you are in the country - great for tourists with kids and those who dont bother to explore their surroundings.

Old 01-04-2010, 07:30 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
WHAT?! No live music in Ybor? I just saw an amazing show Saturday at the Ritz(Galactic)..ever been to Crowbar, Orpheum, Ritz, Cuban Club?? Awesome venues with all kinds of great local and national acts. And then you have palces like New World Brewery, Blues Shark, Green Iguana, Double Decker, James Joyce Pub, Dirty Shame, JJ's, Gaspars Grotto, Acopolis---live music in Ybor!!
You forgot Skipper's!

Old 01-05-2010, 07:24 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
After you've lived here awhile there's not much left to explore. I mean, I could drive to Mulberry or Dade City or Ellenton, but...why? You've seen the outlet mall or phosphate museum once, that's generally sufficient. Unless you're a big fan of phosphate or something.
I disagree, I've lived here since 89 and typically go somewhere new roughly once a month on average. Between hiking, museums, theme parks, kitchy side attractions, botanical gardens, state parks, restaurants etc.. there are things on my list I still haven't done. Granted we have some favorites we frequent like WDW but everywhere else there are endless things to do and explore.

Here are photos of my exploration, I've got about 25,000 photos right now and I add more all the time.
sumermarie's photos and albums on webshots
(To be fair, it does include out of state trips and our multiple trips to WDW as well)

Quote:
There's a lot of Florida that still doesn't have a lot of "there" there. Obviously, St Augustine, larger cities, Merritt Island warrant multiple visits. Even Tallahassee (though I speak here from the POV of a homeschooler).
But once you've seen Frostproof or Waldo, you've pretty much seen it. It would take a lot, at this point in my life, to get me to see (for example) Polk County as a destination spot.
Honestly, I just think you aren't looking hard enough. Now that could be because you don't want to and there's nothing wrong with that but there are certainly many places to explore in this state, you just have find the time to discover them.

Quote:
Sarasota is about a two hour drive from where I am. It would have to be a bloody amazing dinner.
Perhaps it's just that other people simply have other priorities: leaving a smaller carbon footprint, or living somewhere that doesn't require a two hour drive to a decent restaurant, or spending time on their work, or family time.
Some people explore. Some don't. Saying "I really don't get why other people are content to stay in little boxes" is kind of like feeling superior over wearing pink socks instead of navy blue.
To each their own, exactly right. However I will say that I think people are missing out by not exploring their surroundings but I love to travel and explore so it makes sense that I don't understand why people would want to stay home every day. Doesn't mean I think I'm superior, just means I wish the people who do stay home some more enrichment in their lives. But again, that's my opinion, doesn't make it law but I don't feel I'm better than those people just because I feel that way either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Please tell me you get out to more than an Outback Steakhouse? (by the way, the Outback on Henderson Ave is the original Outback)

Ever been to Laughing Cat, Acropolis, El Puerto, La Creperia (Ybor City); or Mangrove's, SOHO Oasis Cafe, Wine Exchange, Restaurant BT, 717 South, Ceviche, Bern's, Side Berns, Bungalow, Circles (Hyde Park); or Malio's, Cafe Dufrain, Fly, SPAIN, Algusto's (downtown); or Cellini's, Pane Rustica, Yoko's, Datz, Hula Bay, Bin 27, Paradiso, Byblos, Queen of Sheba, Smoke (South Tampa area).

And thats just a few of my favs in Tampa...across the Bay there are plenty more very good non chains...
Thank you for this list! My husband and I really don't like chain restaurants and we try and find somewhere new to try when ever we can.

BTW Here are some great websites that you can check out to help you find things to do in Florida.

Roadside America - Guide to Uniquely Odd Tourist Attractions

THINGS TO DO IN FLORIDA

Old 01-05-2010, 07:37 AM

17,539 posts, read 39,160,131 times
That was a great post, sumermarie! I'm glad you posted that. Yes, we are all different, we too love to explore. The only problem for us right now is time, my hubs has a long workday, and on the weekends he likes working on a project in his garage, so we don't get to do as much right now. We plan on doing a lot more in 6 years when he retires. I feel fortunate that there is so much to do right in the Tampa Bay Area, there is incredible variety in this region.

Dade City was mentioned - that is a little town worth a day trip just to see the breathtaking scenery - beautiful rolling hills, lush pastures, woods, lakes, and in spring a non-stop show of flowers - azaleas, camellias, dogwood, redbud, Japanese magnolia, wildflowers, etc. Then the little downtown has antique stores and a GREAT restaurant (Kafe Kokopelli). There is also a really neat Pioneer Museum there just 2 miles north of town. For those who love good and authentic Mexican food, there is a wonderful little place in an old house in the charming little town of San Antonio just south of Dade City, run by two really nice Mexican brothers (been there for years, people come from all over for this place). It's probably one of the things I truly miss about living up there (as much as I love our home now!)

Anyway, even though we don't have that much time to travel or explore right now, we at LEAST try to find new non-chain restaurants to visit. We have plenty right here near home, so we are constantly going to new places.

Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,199,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Anyway, even though we don't have that much time to travel or explore right now, we at LEAST try to find new non-chain restaurants to visit. We have plenty right here near home, so we are constantly going to new places.
::nod::

You don't have to travel far to find non-chain restaurants. I can think of at least ten within walking distance of my house. Extend that out to a 10-mile radius and you could happily eat out at a new place weekly for a couple of years and never have to resort to Darden's finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay