Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 AM

463 posts, read 1,048,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
Dade City was mentioned - that is a little town worth a day trip just to see the breathtaking scenery - beautiful rolling hills, lush pastures, woods, lakes, and in spring a non-stop show of flowers - azaleas, camellias, dogwood, redbud, Japanese magnolia, wildflowers, etc. Then the little downtown has antique stores and a GREAT restaurant (Kafe Kokopelli). There is also a really neat Pioneer Museum there just 2 miles north of town. For those who love good and authentic Mexican food, there is a wonderful little place in an old house in the charming little town of San Antonio just south of Dade City, run by two really nice Mexican brothers (been there for years, people come from all over for this place). It's probably one of the things I truly miss about living up there (as much as I love our home now!)

Anyway, even though we don't have that much time to travel or explore right now, we at LEAST try to find new non-chain restaurants to visit. We have plenty right here near home, so we are constantly going to new places.
You know I've never considered Dade City. Its now on the list because of your post. Thank you! I love adding more to the spreadsheet. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Sarasota is about a two hour drive from where I am. It would have to be a bloody amazing dinner.
Perhaps it's just that other people simply have other priorities: leaving a smaller carbon footprint, or living somewhere that doesn't require a two hour drive to a decent restaurant, or spending time on their work, or family time.
Some people explore. Some don't. Saying "I really don't get why other people are content to stay in little boxes" is kind of like feeling superior over wearing pink socks instead of navy blue.
Nope, saying I really don't get why people are content to stay in their little boxes is just saying I don't really get why people are content in staying their boxes. You added the pink and blue sock analogy and feelings of superiority not me.

It is just beyond my understanding why people do not get out and explore. Are they sitting at home watching tv? Taking their work home? That is not spending quality family time either. My family spends quality time by exploring areas together, to each his own though. Everyone has their own idea of fun, but many people complain to my husband if they have to cross a bridge to see him, because they never cross that bridge, and thats beyond my understanding, why its so hard to step out of that box.

Last edited by Davachka; 01-05-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 01-05-2010, 09:49 AM

2,406 posts, read 7,906,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Davachka: a few reasons why people might not get out of the bubble:

1. Once you've seen an Outback Steakhouse.....you've seen them all, most people in this area cannot afford an expensive restaurant on regular basis.....The only way We would drive more than 15 minutes to go to a restaurant is if we go on Ocean Drive in Miami Beach or on Las Olas.....nothing around here has sparked a light with us yet as far as that goes........we lived there and we've been spoiled....St Armand's Circle doesn't come close as far as we're concerned....no offense!
2. Some don't go out of pure laziness I agree...
3. Oddly enough not everyone is a beach person! or a kayaking buff or likes to hike flat trails.......
4. Time?
5. Age?
6. Florida is no California where the scenery changes as you drive......yes we have some "hills" but I am sorry I cannot compare those with the Smokeys or the Yellowstone! etc
7. Weight......at 300+lbs it's not that easy to maneuver yourself around!

Now you go search for some demographics as far as the above are concerned and you'll get an even better answer as far as who travels and for how long and where......
Your post cracked me up, once you've seen one Outback, you've seen them all? We have been to 1 Outback our entire lives! There is so much out there besides chain restaurants. Eating strictly at chain restaurants is almost parallel to not leaving one's immediate area, its a lack of exploration.

I don't know, I have eaten in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale, NYC, Chicago, San Fran, LA, Boston, Phoenix, London, Rome, Istanbul, Buenos Aires, I could go on and on and on.....but I still love a certain restaurant in Sarasota. Really I love it. And so does my family, even the out of towners, who also have lived, visited and eaten everywhere from South America to the Middle East to Europe. No offense taken I also buy most of my clothes at a certain boutique in St. Armands Circle, as well as another boutique on Las Olas. I'm petite and find these places fit me the best, so its not that big of a deal to make a trip out of it.

To each his own, some people like to explore, others do not. I think that is the bottom line answer, the adventurous spirit.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:01 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
"It is just beyond my understanding why people do not get out and explore. Are they sitting at home watching tv? Taking their work home? That is not spending quality family time either."

I agree, I love to travel, right now we can't as much as we used too, or I used to before even coming here, but I hope we can resume that at some point, however the above is true, some people just won't get off the couch, I used to have relatives back in Europe who wouldn't visit us 30 minutes away with their own car...and who weren't overweight .....not even the NEW cable price increase coming up will deter some people from moving away from the TV........which I also find very sad, but IT IS at everyone's discretion....I am not a TV watcher...to me it is boring to just sit and stare at the TV like that.....I rather be hiking somewhere....but think about it this way, 60% of the population here is overweight...these people will be less likely to travel to the mailbox..........LOLOL willingly....so, expect that you will hear "ohhh that bridge is too long and high to cross"!!!!!!! LOL they don't make cars for overweight people, so I am not sure if it is comfortable to be cramped like that.....even vans aren't that big......hahahahaha sooooooo......yeah, it is sad, but I don't remember the last time I went to Sams and saw someone under size 14! a trip to Sams might be just the "travel" some people can handle! LOL sorry I can't help it........

Old 01-05-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
"It is just beyond my understanding why people do not get out and explore. Are they sitting at home watching tv? Taking their work home? That is not spending quality family time either."

I agree, I love to travel, right now we can't as much as we used too, or I used to before even coming here, but I hope we can resume that at some point, however the above is true, some people just won't get off the couch, I used to have relatives back in Europe who wouldn't visit us 30 minutes away with their own car...and who weren't overweight .....not even the NEW cable price increase coming up will deter some people from moving away from the TV........which I also find very sad, but IT IS at everyone's discretion....I am not a TV watcher...to me it is boring to just sit and stare at the TV like that.....I rather be hiking somewhere....but think about it this way, 60% of the population here is overweight...these people will be less likely to travel to the mailbox..........LOLOL willingly....so, expect that you will hear "ohhh that bridge is too long and high to cross"!!!!!!! LOL they don't make cars for overweight people, so I am not sure if it is comfortable to be cramped like that.....even vans aren't that big......hahahahaha sooooooo......yeah, it is sad, but I don't remember the last time I went to Sams and saw someone under size 14! a trip to Sams might be just the "travel" some people can handle! LOL sorry I can't help it........
I really hope you aren't saying that the only people who travel and go on adventurers are skinny are you?

That entire paragraph you just posted speaks volumes of your character, I sincerely hope you don't really feel that way. :/

Old 01-05-2010, 12:49 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
Quote:
"

but think about it this way, 60% of the population here is overweight...
these ........

Where? In FL? Please advise where you learned of this statistic.

The fact is 34 percent of Americans are obese, compared to 32.7 percent who are overweight. More than one-third of adults, or over 72 million people, were obese in 2005-2006, The figures come from a 2005-2006 survey and are the most current available right now.

I just love it when people make up their own statistics!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:10 PM

NO, in the entire US......check this out:

Q: How many adults age 20 and older are overweight or obese (BMI > 25)?

A: About two-thirds of U.S. adults are overweight or obese.[6]

All adults: 133.6 million (66 percent)
Women: 65 million (61.6 percent)
Men: 68.3 million (70.5 percent)

* The statistics presented here are based on the following definitions unless otherwise specified: healthy weight = BMI > 18.5 to < 25; overweight = BMI > 25 to < 30; obesity = BMI > 30; and extreme obesity = BMI > 40.

More info for you.......

Obesity in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

WHO | Obesity and overweight (http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity/publications/facts/obesity/en/ - broken link)

Obesity statistics - countries compared - NationMaster

Obesity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now keep in mind that being obese is not the same as being overweight....this doesn't look good no matter HOW you look at it....sorry....

Old 01-05-2010, 01:22 PM

No, but they don't travel as often.....I formed my opinion based on the places WE usually go too (the beach, Disney, work, I meet new people thanks to my job all the time, hiking etc) along with my pregnancies going from 100lbs up to 160lbs and I NOTICED that carrying more than your bones can handle is not easy, pleasant or feels like I want to walk around all that much! or drive! I can't even imagine what it would be like having this weight with NO BABY on board on daily basis......I would suffocate!.......I do like to look around me when going out and not wear horse glasses.....I notice.....and point out, what I think personally about it is a whole other story and thread.......

I am sorry for being maybe too direct, but I am going to be the last person on this earth who is going to hide behind a finger and pretend things don't exist when they do!

Just look around.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumermarie View Post
I really hope you aren't saying that the only people who travel and go on adventurers are skinny are you?

Old 01-05-2010, 01:30 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,151,675 times
The definition set is most helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Where? In FL? Please advise where you learned of this statistic.

The fact is 34 percent of Americans are obese, compared to 32.7 percent who are overweight. More than one-third of adults, or over 72 million people, were obese in 2005-2006, The figures come from a 2005-2006 survey and are the most current available right now.

I just love it when people make up their own statistics!

Old 01-05-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
No, but they don't travel as often.....I formed my opinion based on the places WE usually go too (the beach, Disney, work, I meet new people thanks to my job all the time, hiking etc) along with my pregnancies going from 100lbs up to 160lbs and I NOTICED that carrying more than your bones can handle is not easy, pleasant or feels like I want to walk around all that much! or drive! I can't even imagine what it would be like having this weight with NO BABY on board on daily basis......I would suffocate!.......I do like to look around me when going out and not wear horse glasses.....I notice.....and point out, what I think personally about it is a whole other story and thread.......

I am sorry for being maybe too direct, but I am going to be the last person on this earth who is going to hide behind a finger and pretend things don't exist when they do!

Just look around.......
I respect your opinion and politely disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay