Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 12:42 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,311,095 times

Advertisements

i will travel around on the weekends, but i predominantly stay near where i live for a couple of reasons:

1. I live where I do because I like it
2. As a young guy, when I go out, it usually end up having a few drinks. It is easier to find a way home near home. I dont know how much a taxi from st pete to westshore it, id rather not find out.

I guess that is all i could really think of. I could have separated them by a comma rather then making a list of two things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 12:43 AM

542 posts, read 992,543 times
I agree that it's absurd to think that no one travels from one side of the bay to the other on a frequent basis. Whenever I'm down visiting my dad, I constantly see license plates from the other surrounding counties driving around, that is the plates that actually have the county on them.

On the flip side, my dad and step mom, rarely leave Pinellas for anything except to use the Tampa airport. When I talk about going to spend the day in Tampa, they act like I'm going to the other side of the planet. They forget just how large and diverse the whole bay area can be.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,708 times
There are numerous posts in the archive here about not traveling from Tampa to St. Pete by local residents. Has nobody read them?
I like to explore wherever I am, so this is important to me. It just didn't make sense that people wouldn't go to other cities in the region, but could be the personality of the region. I'm not there, so I won't know till I get there and see for myself.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:01 PM

807 posts, read 3,188,683 times
Sure, I've seen them. Like I said in my first post..."every area has a fair share of the population that stays close to home".

I've had neighbors, everywhere I've lived, who don't want to go more than a few miles from the house. I didn't make a big deal out of it. It's a personality thing and not a regional thing. They'd shrug their shoulders and I'd shrug mine.

The Tampa Bay area is great for travelling around to check things out. There's always something different to see or do.

Old 12-30-2009, 01:11 PM

749 posts, read 2,440,029 times
Man, where's the love for Crystal River? Imo Citrus County is anything but dumpy. We actually have real trees and grass and fresh air instead of concrete and asphalt and smog like Pinellas and Hillsborough.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:11 PM

807 posts, read 3,188,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Man, where's the love for Crystal River? Imo Citrus County is anything but dumpy. We actually have real trees and grass and fresh air instead of concrete and asphalt and smog like Pinellas and Hillsborough.
I always loved the country drive on Stagecoach Rd. (480) and the spanish moss canopy in Floral City.

There were some neat places to explore in Homasassa by the sugar mill ruins on back toward the gulf, too.

Old 12-30-2009, 06:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,309,772 times
we travel around......with REASON.....not for the hell of it.....as gas money doesn't kick us out of the house......we go to Disney in the weekends during winter and the beaches in the summer....and everywhere else in between.....I travel thanks to my job all over Tampa Bay and sometimes Sarasota, Naples and beyond........I don't know where you got that from! UNLESS you are referring to those people who drive 20 miles an hour in a 50 miles an hour zone every day to Publix and Back and clog out our roads! LOLOLOL

Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM

605 posts, read 1,055,243 times
I haven't been to Crystal River but have been to plenty of other places around Tampa Bay and Central Florida. I love to travel, and really don't think I've seen enough of the area.

Most recently I've been to St Pete, Clearwater, Anna Maria Island (beach near Bradenton), and Tarpon Springs. We also make regular trips to Orlando, usually for concerts. And trips down to Ellenton for some retail therapy at the outlet mall!

Old 12-31-2009, 05:54 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,468,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I'm not getting why the residents in, say, Tampa, don't travel to St. Pete or those from Brandon don't travel to Crystal River. I am just using these as examples, but I am constantly shocked when I read on this board that people don't seem to go anywhere except for their own immediate area.
I know traffic is horrid there in the rush house and probably the daytime, but what about the evening after, say, 7 pm? Is it that crowded on the highways and roads?
Can someone enlighten me?
I don't know if this is true. I'm always traveling to Tampa, St Pete, Sarasota/Bradenton, Brandon, Clearwater.

Gas prices maybe the reason why people travel less.

Old 12-31-2009, 02:47 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,570,708 times
Is there little traffic in the St. Pete, Ybor City area around 7-8 pm? I'm old but I like to go out and hear live music sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay