Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 09:37 PM

79 posts, read 249,196 times

Advertisements

Hi Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater! I was laid-off recently and want to get back to Florida (currently in Atlanta area ). Aldi, the small grocery store chain, is moving into the Florida market in a big way. I am interested in management with them. Anyone have the 411 on this company? I've researched it online and it seems like a good opportunity for somebody who's trying to re-invent herself. Your comments/opinions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks....

Oink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2010, 05:22 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
Aldi was my favorite grocery store all the years that I lived in Germany. But the Aldi here is no where near the same. It would be better if they had actual Germany/European products there and I think it would be popular. I've been to the Aldis here (Brandon, St Pete) and have walked out with absolutely nothing purchased. I don't really like the stores here in the US. Can't see where their niche is as Walmart and places like Costco and Sams Club are much better warehouse type of grocery stores (of course, you pay for a membership there).

Good luck with working w/ them.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:49 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,754,781 times
I have to agree with Bucfan. When I lived in europe we used to buy bread, eggs, cheese, etc. overthere and the quality was good and prices cheap. Over there you have to pay every where for shopping carts and put them back. The system worked over there and they hardly have any employees. That is why unemployment was higher as well. Nobody to return the shopping carts, etc..

Over here you still have the luxury that you can leave your shopping cart in the parking lot (although most of the time I return it to the spot that ia assigned for it, except for when it rains), the employees will put your groceries in a shopping back, even when it is your own.

I went to 2 Aldi's and was very disappointed and won't go back. I rather go to Walmart, Target or any other cheap store other than Aldi. I expected the German/Europe foods that would sell over here as well. Over here I can't pay with my credit card either...(in Europe there isn't a point reward system with bank credit cads as is over here) so the down side is even more...

My parents still go shopping at Aldi in Europe and I do the same when I'm over there, but I remember my dad coming home more than ones talking how sad it was how the employees got treated by Aldi....so I can't say if it is a good thing or not to work for them over here.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:31 AM

27 posts, read 94,769 times
It is a very low end, low quality store but I would have no idea about what it is like to work there... but i did find this:

Working at Aldi - Reviews of Jobs at Aldi

Old 01-16-2010, 03:27 PM

3,928 posts, read 11,603,566 times
I think Aldi has opened about 5 stores in the Tampa Bay area in the past year or so.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:58 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I have to agree...I too was very disappointed by Aldi here...Back in Europe they have much better quality food...

Old 01-16-2010, 05:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,448,899 times
There is a niche for stores that sell foreign food (asian, european, etc). Surprised that a store like Aldi doesn't corned the market. The stuff from Germany and Korea itself could stock half the store. I'd go there on a regular basis.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:22 AM

6 posts, read 15,112 times
Default Aldi Job

I was just wondering if you ever pursued this. My husband is interested in applying for a management job with them.

Old 06-01-2011, 01:15 PM

463 posts, read 1,053,108 times
I love Aldi here. Cheap basic food. European food is expensive to bring to US thanks to distance and the fact that food is perishable good. Also the same bread or eggs would cost a lot more if you have to bring them over the pond and you won't be able to sustain profits and offer low prices. There are some European food stores around the town (one in St. Pete) but they charge premium for the food.
On the other hand here Aldi provides basic items for food, it might not have as big selection or brand names, but majority of the products are good quality and much cheaper than publix or target, and i refuse to shop in Walmart. Too bad the closes store is 12 miles away from me ;(

Old 06-01-2011, 01:30 PM

2,539 posts, read 4,087,650 times
When they first moved to the USA they were like the European stores. I visited them in Luxembourg. They've changed here also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay