Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2010, 05:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,570 times

Advertisements

im currently in the army but when i get out im looking to live in either orlando or tampa, i really like the daytona area but that seems to expensive and ive heard good things about tampa. im 19 years old looking to go to school and hopefully get a decent job which city would be best for that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:58 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
The only thing I want to say about this (since preference is personal) is that lately I have been driving a lot to Orlando and I was glad it was over. The traffic is horrible....every single day traffic jams....it drives you crazy.

Tampa has traffic jams but not like Orlando....even in the weekend it is bad, due to the theme parks!
If you don't mind the traffic...then it is just comparing Tampa which is bigger to Orlando which is a personal choice.

Old 03-23-2010, 06:23 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
If the army is going to support you in college, then I'm thinking you have to decide between UCF in Orlando, one of the biggest schools in the country, or USF in Tampa, with two distinctly different campuses, on waterfront in downtown St PEte, very pretty and smaller and in town in Tampa, big research and highly regarded univ. Both cities have good working opportunities, many of them in service sector. Some large companies have close links with both schools, again it depends on your major, but I know that NASA (currently) and Lockheed Martin, Boeing and Walt Disney in particular work with UCF. Try this link for USF in Tampa Veteran Services - University of South Florida

Personally, I'd take Tampa and Bay area over Orlando anyday for same reason as Bentlebee, can't get out of Orlando soon enough

Old 03-23-2010, 07:45 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Totally Tampa, forget Orlando......too much crime there and if you'll be living in FL why would you want to be so far from the beach?

"Tampa has traffic jams but not like Orlando....even in the weekend it is bad, due to the theme parks!"

That's because in Orlando ALL you have is I-4.......here you have Veterans Hwy, 275, 75, I-4, and lots of short cut roads in between.....

Old 03-23-2010, 10:58 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
I am an Orlando escapee. The others are on the money. Traffic is horrendous. They have more than I-4. They have the "east west expressway", now called something else, the Beeline (or now Beachline) which goes from Orlando to the East coast. They have some other
highways too that bring the folks from the suburbs to the city.

However, the traffic is out of hand in Orlando.

Orlando is a nice city, but it is also a high crime city nowdays.

Between the traffic, the crime, the crowding, you would be better off near or in Tampa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooder000 View Post
im currently in the army but when i get out im looking to live in either orlando or tampa, i really like the daytona area but that seems to expensive and ive heard good things about tampa. im 19 years old looking to go to school and hopefully get a decent job which city would be best for that

Old 03-23-2010, 11:23 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
One more thing that I like less in Orlando and maybe strange coming from some one who was born in Europe....I dislike many of the foreigners shopping in Orlando for the same reason I disliked it in Europe.

The rudeness and no respect for any one but them self. The push without saying "excuse me" just to move around as fast as they can and try to skip the line....totally an example how it is in Europe except for the UK, where people still know how to stay in line

That is 2 reason's for me to choose Tampa over Orlando although I like to go there now and then and then stay here for a long time, I hate the traffic over there so much since you know you have to stand in traffic on your way there and back....

Old 03-23-2010, 11:53 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by algia View Post
Totally Tampa, forget Orlando......too much crime there and if you'll be living in FL why would you want to be so far from the beach?

"Tampa has traffic jams but not like Orlando....even in the weekend it is bad, due to the theme parks!"

That's because in Orlando ALL you have is I-4.......here you have Veterans Hwy, 275, 75, I-4, and lots of short cut roads in between.....

A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me. I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state."

From travel jokes

Old 03-23-2010, 02:36 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha good one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDenudinFL View Post
A man called, furious about a Florida package we did. I asked what was wrong with the vacation in Orlando. He said he was expecting an ocean-view room. I tried to explain that is not possible, since Orlando is in the middle of the state. He replied, "Don't lie to me. I looked on the map and Florida is a very thin state."

From travel jokes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: