Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 07:17 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times

Advertisements

There are two of us (over 50) with no driving citations. We have two automobiles both paid in full. We pay $1,000 per vehicle annually through State Farm. Insurance rates in Florida are ridiculous. And that statement includes homeowners and health insurance, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 08:28 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
One of the best ways you can control your cost of insurance is by raising your deductibles, if you have comp and collision. Call your agent and get various quotes with different deductibles, you may be surprised how much it can lower your rate. Also, if you and your family has health insurance you may want to think about removing PIP (Personal Injury Protection) from your auto policy as well.

I used to sell insurance and these are the best ways YOU can control your rate. Other than that you are at the mercy of your credit score, driving record, age, marital status, where you live, if the car is stored in a garage or not and the vehicle you drive.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM

13 posts, read 29,990 times
When I moved here from Orlando just a few months ago, my rates doubled just because of the change in zip codes. Usually insurance companies run statistics for different areas and adjust their premium based on those statistical results. I called a few different insurance companies and they all had pretty much the same rates. btw, I am 26 and have no tickets or accidents (at fault) on my record. As far as I remember geico had the best rates. Good luck.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,632,650 times
Quote:
Also, if you and your family has health insurance you may want to think about removing PIP (Personal Injury Protection) from your auto policy as well.
PIP is required in Florida.

Old 04-14-2010, 07:49 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,301,795 times
Same thing happened to us too......outrageous to say the least...............
Quote:
When I moved here from Orlando just a few months ago, my rates doubled just because of the change in zip codes. Usually insurance companies run statistics for different areas and adjust their premium based on those statistical results.
Also true:
Quote:

Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
We moved from Pasco, to Polk and now to Manatee County, and rates dropped every time. For two of us, (over 50) and two older paid-for vehicles we pay a bit under $1500 per year for full coverage (Allstate). I don't think that's too bad. It really does depend on a lot of factors, the big one being which county you live in and how far you drive to work.

Of course homeowner's insurance is another matter. That one is highway robbery, pure and simple.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:54 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post

Ooops, sorry. Was not required in the last couple of states I have lived in. Thanks for the information.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:14 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
FL has a lot of uninsured drivers. So the rest of us pay for that.

Unlike most states FL does not impound vehicles when they're pulled over at a traffic stop and found to have no insurance, they get a ticket and keep driving.

Therefore there is no incentive here to have your vehicle insured, in other states having your car in an impound lot(which isn't cheap) and having no transportation motivates people to get their cars insured.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:27 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrkr View Post
Forgive me in advance if this topic has been beaten to death. Today I sat with an insurance broker to transfer my New York Auto Insurance for 4 cars to Florida, Plant City.

My Rate DOUBLED!!!!

Is this true, or is this Allstate agent misguided? I have Collision on two 2004 cars, one 19 yo driver in college and one 24 yo driver. According to the estimate my annual insurance costs will be $10,000!

Has anyone else been quoted rates this high?

Help!!!

Thanks
Al
I pay under $2400 a year for 3 cars. Full $100/$300 on 2 cars, one an 04 the other an 05 and then minimal coverage on my Jeep.
Call around for other quotes.

Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 PM

794 posts, read 1,860,786 times
Update: I Ended up going with Progressive with the same coverage I had in New York. My rate was $2500.00 less than Allstate for 6 months!!!!!! Some folks say it's an Allstate issue, they actually don't want to insure cars in Florida, so they charge exorbitant rates.

Goodbye Allstate; after 20 years!!!!
Thanks for the replies everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay