Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2007, 07:28 AM

11 posts, read 104,277 times

Advertisements

can anyone give me some input of living in the tampa area , as far as crime and of course storms ,is this area a serious threat for storms and crime please advised
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 07:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,259 times
Do Not worry as much about it.........you are as safe as you have always been.........

Old 06-16-2007, 08:14 AM

11 posts, read 104,277 times
Is Poinciana A Good Place To Live In

Old 06-16-2007, 12:12 PM

1,080 posts, read 4,587,473 times
I understand that there is alot of crime there, in Kissimmee not far from Disney, there are gang activity in the area.

Good Luck

Old 06-27-2007, 09:59 AM

2 posts, read 9,198 times
I travel to NY very much and I am actually thinking about moving up there in a year our so....

Anyway. Tampa is not like NY so don't come here expecting anything like the Big Apple. However if you are looking for a suburban feel then New Tampa should be your first choice. I actually live in this area my self. If you live in a house it is your typical Florida style house in a subdivision community meaning that the streets will be clean, all the houses will look almost the same, the lawns will be professionally manicured, etc. There are numerous apartment complexes out here in the 33647 area code. Most are nicer than what you will find in central Tampa or the immediate city area. Rent for a two bedroom/ two bath will run you close to $1000 (give or take).

As far as entertainment out here (New Tampa area that is); well there is not that much. I am 21 and I mostly drive into Downtown, Hyde Park or Channelside whenever I feel like going out. There is not a mall out here but they are building one in neighbooring Wesley Chapel within a year or so. For malls you either have to travel to Brandon or into Westshore area. There is also University mall in central Tampa, but I wouldn't recommened it. It is sketchy at best and there is not much in there.

Traffic is sometimes bad during rush hours which is 6-8 in the morning and 5-7 in the evening. Crime in New Tampa, well in my opinion there is none. There worst thing I've seen happen is people getting pulled over for traffic violations.

Brandon is another suburb of Tampa and mostly has the same characteristics of New Tampa. The only major difference is that New Tampa is well, newer. Brandon is located in southeast Tampa and is easier to get into the city center because of the interstates and roads that are located nearby.

If you want a city feel the move to South Tampa (South of I-275). There is alot more entertainment and the area is up and coming in terms of shops being built out there. However, beaware, the closer to the bay- the more expensive everything gets (including rent, gas, and the malls). Downtown is dead after 6, however there are beginning to build many condo towers in the city center. If you want to make a good investment, my advice is to get in now and just sit through the boredom. Channelside and Ybor are around the corner so it wont be to bad. Crime is all relative to where you live. Just be smart and safe and you won't have to much to worry about.

Also, unlike NY, we don't have mass transit, so a car is a must.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay