Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:56 PM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times

Advertisements

Yesterday my students came in complaining about the treatment they received from another teacher in the previous hour. Among the complaints were that she had "yelled at them" and "laughed at their answers" on some quiz, as well as "told their grades in front of the class." The suggestions from the students about what they wanted to do to this teacher ranged from petty to appalling.

As an English teacher my first reaction was to try to turn this into a teachable moment. I made it clear that under no uncertain circumstances could they be disrespectful to the teacher in question, regardless of their personal feelings. So I suggested that they might want to write a letter airing their grievances to this teacher, explaining how they felt. I also explained that for a teacher to have a reaction there must have been a trigger, something that they themselves did to cause this alleged reaction. They owned up to the fact that they did not do well on the quiz, were chatting and not following directions, amongst other things. I did not take the student's side but rather listened objectively and tried to teach them that there are right and wrong ways to handle situations such as this.

We spent part of the hour discussing "I feel" or in this case "we feel" language when writing a letter such as this, and I allowed the students to draft the letter using my smartboard. I also made it clear that they had to take ownership for their part in the scenario within the letter and to offer some type of resolution on their part. They did this, saying that they were sorry they didn't do as well as the teacher expected and would try to be less chatty, etc. etc.

I thought the lesson went well, and one of my students typed up the letter, they all signed it, and asked me if I could put it into the teacher in question's box. They didn't want my part of assisting them to become known so I didn't offer any note of explanation to the teacher, just passed it on. Looking back I realize I should have written something.

Today the teacher in question did become upset with me for not giving some explanation and told me that I "shouldn't believe what students have to say"...so I felt bad for my part in this. I apologised to the teacher for not giving some explanation and explained my attempt to turn it into a teaching moment. My question is, am I wrong to have gotten involved? I am a new teacher so I might have crossed some boundary that I shouldn't have. My students today said they felt better after I let them get their feelings out in the open and on paper. I'm just wondering if it will have made the situation worse for them in the long run.

Guess I just want to hear advice.. what would you do, or have you done, in situations like this? I always, ALWAYS make certain to tell students that they have to be respectful of teachers, regardless, whenever I hear negative comments. Was I wrong in my approach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 05:07 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I think your approach was admirable, and I suspect her anger was a reflection of embarassment. Regardless, I wouldn't count on any support from her if the tables are turned at some point in the future.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:25 PM

682 posts, read 2,423,631 times
It's not wrong to try to turn this into a teaching moment. That's what you're there for. The kids probably learned more that day, in real world application, than they had learned in a while.

I don't know the ages of your kids, but assuming they're high school age, they crave validity as thinking individuals, and you gave that too them without necessarily giving validity to their complaints. Students usually have a keen sense of justice, and it doesn't pay to sidestep or misstep on these issues. If you had ignored their complaints, all you do is become part of the problem of teachers against students (at least how they perceive it).

You probably should have given some explanation to your part in it up front to the other teacher, just saying something like, "I don't really know what happened, and it doesn't really matter to me. I don't want you to perceive this as taking sides." and then your explanation about using it as a teaching example. She is probably embarrassed, and none of us like to have our moments of weakness shared with our peers or coworkers.

Continue to be respectful and kind in your interactions with her, and document any conversations you have to protect yourself (if you're concerned about it). I had an issue with one of my previous managers, and decided to kill him with kindness. He had nothing to react to when I didn't rise to his provocations, and eventually things got better.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:21 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,837 times
Best to mind ur business. Most HS kids are not to be believed. Many are upset if the teacher has a seating chart and doesnt give them a free period. One of the biggest mistakes teachers make is getting involved in the business of other teachers.
Case in point, a new girl was added to my school some weeks go, basically came in with the angry black girl attitude. Apparently shes been giving most of her teachers a hard time but in my class shes pretty pleasant and cooperative. Apparently while getting into it with an English teacher, the the english teacher mentions that I felt the girl also had a bad attitude. The new girl questioned me on it and I kind of felt on the spot The English teacher should have left me out of it. Now the girl looks at me with a screwface and her behavior has gone downhill a bit. The point is, when kids complain about another teacher, best thing to say is u dont wanna get involved unless u know the teacher is a known crackhead.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:23 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
I think you were OK up to the point of suggesting that they take some sort of positive step to addressing their grievances. But taking a class to help them write the letter about a colleague gives every impression that you were siding with them and validating their complaints. Not getting the other teacher's side of the story first was a mistake - no wonder she got upset. You might want to write your own letter to the teacher that gives an unconditional apology - if you try to further justify your actions, then don't bother.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
For the health of your future career, shut down any bad mouthing of other teachers, move forward with the planned lesson. If you still feel like this was a justifiable "teachable moment" okay..but it went to far when you wrote a letter. That crossed the line into being inappropriate. Having a good relationship with your peers, is going to help you in your career, even teachers you don't like, or think that their teaching methods are not up to your standards. They are your peer group.

Besides, you did not know both sides of this issue, that is why you should have shut down the complaining. It was not appropriate to continue to keep the kids going in that line...I think that you feel entitled, and already had a bias against this teacher....and liked hearing the bashing.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:28 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
I had nothing against the teacher before and still do not now. My students are 8th graders and 3 of them are fellow teacher's kids and all of whom are A-B students. Yes there are two sides to the story, and I even brought that up with my students.

I did write an apology to the teacher and verbally apologised as well. It has always been my policy to quash any bad mouthing of teachers, and this case was not different. I expressly told my students that they need to be respectful, regardless of personal feelings. That, primarily, was the lesson I wanted them to learn.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:25 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
I think what you did was an excellent teaching moment and you covered so many aspects of REAL LIFE. What you did taught those kids a life lesson. I commend you.

Old 11-20-2010, 01:14 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,385,835 times
I can understand the desire to make it a teachable moment, but it is really unprofessional to allow any discussion about another person, especially when she or he isn't present. What if it had been another student they were talking about instead of a teacher?

Old 11-20-2010, 01:25 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eresh View Post
I can understand the desire to make it a teachable moment, but it is really unprofessional to allow any discussion about another person, especially when she or he isn't present. What if it had been another student they were talking about instead of a teacher?
Why are we afraid to approach that as a teachable moment as well. If you really want to stop teasing and bullying, you must talk about all aspects of the problem. You don't want to condone being unkind about another student, but you do want to make the kids think about how what they say can affect both the other student and themselves.

I personally like the lesson though I do think that the OP should have written something to explain what her role in this was so that the other teacher would understand what happened.

Kids need to have their feelings validated. They need to consider how *they* contributed to the problem and to figure out what they can do next time so that the problem does not recur.

Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching