Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 10:42 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,281,050 times

Advertisements

Let's just say it's in the NorthEast. Rural teachers here are paid somewhat less but not that much less than those in large urban areas within the same state despite a huge divergence in the cost of living. No caps or maxing out either. Lots of competition as dozens of colleges with thousands of grads, many have to relocate to other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM

1,224 posts, read 4,004,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
Let's just say it's in the NorthEast. Rural teachers here are paid somewhat less but not that much less than those in large urban areas within the same state despite a huge divergence in the cost of living. No caps or maxing out either. Lots of competition as dozens of colleges with thousands of grads, many have to relocate to other states.
Ok, well if I have the chance to make 6 figures as a public school teacher, than I'm becomin' a Yankee. LOL.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:16 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
But it's NOT enough. A single person could not possibly make it on $35K per year... and not have to live in the slums, drive a '93 Civic, and not have utilities. You know- silly, frivolous things like that.
I disagree, it is certainly possible to make it on $35k per year and not live in the slums, and have utilities.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:18 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindy_Jole View Post
Where do teachers get "that much time off"?
Everywhere I have ever lived.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I disagree, it is certainly possible to make it on $35k per year and not live in the slums, and have utilities.
Mmm K. You're superman then. Or else the income is being "supplemented" somehow.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:28 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,700,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Everywhere I have ever lived.
You lived with teachers?

Old 03-30-2011, 11:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
i am definitely a critic of high salaries in education, and teachers unions. however, i do not have the majority of local gov't teachers in mind... certainly not a teacher making $30k plus benefits. what floors me are the salaries that university administrators pay themselves.

Where I live, the county government (including schools) has 20 employees who earn over $100k/year, and the city government has 15 employees who earn that much. The local university has 153 employees who make over $100,000 per year.

Last edited by le roi; 03-30-2011 at 11:41 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i am definitely a critic of high salaries in education, and teachers unions. however, i do not have the majority of local gov't teachers in mind... certainly not a teacher making $30k plus benefits. what floors me are the salaries that university administrators pay themselves.

Where I live, the county government (including schools) has 20 employees who earn over $100k/year, and the city government has 15 employees who earn that much. The local university has 153 employees who make over $100,000 per year.
Wow! That does seem excessive! Sounds like I need to be a college professor. Hmmm....

Old 03-30-2011, 12:19 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,774,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milleka View Post
Wow! That does seem excessive! Sounds like I need to be a college professor. Hmmm....
they had an article in our local newspaper recently, about the high salaries at this school. people are concerned, because our state taxes are very high, and most of that goes to the university system. Most of the university's expenses, goes to salaries.

the school said that they had to keep up with the salaries of schools like Cal-Berkeley and Rutgers (don't ask where they came up with those two), and that their goal is to have salaries in the 80th percentile of all colleges. They say that this justifies what they pay administrators. Note that they raise tuition every year, but never cut salaries.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
they had an article in our local newspaper recently, about the high salaries at this school. people are concerned, because our state taxes are very high, and most of that goes to the university system. Most of the university's expenses, goes to salaries.

the school said that they had to keep up with the salaries of schools like Cal-Berkeley and Rutgers (don't ask where they came up with those two), and this justifies what they pay administrators. Note that they raise tuition every year, but never cut salaries.
Well, that's not fair if college money also comes from the same coffers as public school money. That is incredibly disproportionate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching