Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think teachers are?
Teachers are professionals. 23 54.76%
Teachers are professionals but need to present a more professional image. 11 26.19%
Teachers are blue collar workers. 2 4.76%
Teachers are overpaid, whiney babysitters. 6 14.29%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:55 AM

508 posts, read 1,674,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
I guess every profession has a certain percentage of unhappy workers, and teachers are no exception. There will always be an element of dissatisfaction in any workplace, but as long as it's a small percentage it shouldn't reflect the entire profession.

An earlier post was critical of a teacher for the backward illustration of a map of England (I think). We should remember that teachers ARE human beings and WILL make a mistake here and there...just like anyone else. When I make a mistake in my teaching, I always come back to it when I find out about it. There's really nothing wrong with that and it doesn't immediately mean that the teacher is incompetent. Historically teachers were always held to a higher community standard than other professionals - it was a scandal for a teacher to be known to drink alcohol or have sex or anything else that hypocrites consider immoral. Thankfully that pressure has eased somewhat, but there still people who think that way.

"Dress professionally" is still not clear to me...are there degrees of professional to where some clothing is more (or less) professional than other clothing? Or is it an all or nothing thing, meaning clothing is either professional or unprofessional? I'm wondering if some styles of dress would fit into the professional category but not necessarily on the high end of it....

Teachers have a dress code that is unique to each system and doesn't vary a lot. No jeans, shorts, sexy tops showing too much skin, warm up pants or suits...one school's dress code required men to wear collared shirts, but it was later revised because there are many men's shirts (sweaters and such) that aren't collared but are appropriate. A couple of things about teaching elementary grades, specifically K,1, and 2...there is a lot of sitting on the floor and interacting with students, and way too much being on your feet and general movement to be TOO dressed up. Besides, the interaction with the kids will eventually ruin any nice clothes you might have...I can't even count all of the nice clothes I have in my closet with various stains from wearing them to school. I still wear most of them, but I wouldn't wear them anywhere else like that....

I think this may be regional. I have taught in school systems in both AZ and California. In both systems it was very common to see teachers in class in such things as denim shorts, jeans, T-shirts, flip flops, halter tops, board shorts, and even a few warm up suits. My definition of appropriate dress for teachers would simply be business casual; polos or button downs and dockers for men, and dresses or slacks or . . . whatever is considered business casual for women (I'm really not sure what falls in this catagory for women)

I think the dress is so important for several reasons: your appearance affects your attitude, clothing can set standards, it presents a more professional first impression for students and parents, and it helps differentiate teachers from students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 12:45 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,585,071 times
I still maintain that a dress code for teachers is important. Ever see a teacher on the floor while she is wearing a short skirt? Or bending over to pick up books or whatever? Even in my 'profession', there is a standard of dress considered acceptable and non acceptable.

And I am just a Realtor Have been for over 20 years and would never, ever show property dressed in shorts, short skirts, flip flops, tank tops and such. Teachers are in my opinion held to a higher standard. I have worn my best jeans to show farms and hunting acreage. Do have to climb over barb wire fences now and then and around hog pens and cattle and horse barns. That's outside. Some homes just may look like that on the inside

Old 09-25-2007, 01:13 PM

180 posts, read 268,182 times
I guess I'm speaking more from an elementary perspective, where there isn't any problem differentiating between teachers and students. I just have to say that I would be shocked to see a teacher in a halter top or shorts. If just one parent complained about a teacher wearing a halter to school there would be some stricter changes, I don't care what region the school is in...it would probably make national news.

We can wear shorts one day each year - Field Day. P.E. teachers wear shorts, but in both cases it is made very clear that the shorts can't be too short. My teaching assistant actually had to go home and change tops last year because when she reached up, her top would slide up and show her belly-button. I thought it was kind of silly. Many schools do allow Friday casual days...jeans and spirit shirts; also we are allowed jeans during other special events, like field trips and testing week. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it's a fairly standard dress code everywhere...there may be exceptions or individual schools that are lax.

Not to be argumentative, but an alternate point of view on professional dress...the attitude about appropriate corporate dress has been softening and becoming more casual for years now. Entire corporate headquarters allow total casual attire - Home Depot and Burger King corporate offices allow all employees to wear shorts to work in summer months, and IBM even softened up in the 90's to allow casual dress every day. So overall it seems like people are being judged less by their clothing and more by how they appear in their clothing. I tend to prefer a neat, clean, put-together casual look over something formal...looking neat and clean makes a better impression on me.

All that said, I definitely don't condone "sexy" attire for teaching elementary school. Why would anybody try to look hot and alluring to work with kids all day???

Old 09-25-2007, 04:24 PM

Mrs. Garrison: I agree with what you say about casual dress, etc. Guess I will back down and admit I am referring to those of us that are in the public eye when we are conducting our business. In an office setting that does not require the employees to constantly come in contact with the public. I will concur that casual dress, up to a point, could be allowed. Stuffiness is not what I am looking for. Just common sense.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious concerning 'casual Friday' and such. Excellent points.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:54 PM

180 posts, read 268,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods Voyager View Post
Mrs. Garrison: I agree with what you say about casual dress, etc. Guess I will back down and admit I am referring to those of us that are in the public eye when we are conducting our business. In an office setting that does not require the employees to constantly come in contact with the public. I will concur that casual dress, up to a point, could be allowed. Stuffiness is not what I am looking for. Just common sense.

Thank you for pointing out the obvious concerning 'casual Friday' and such. Excellent points.
You are SO nice! I feel like such a good student right now...I must have finally made a valid point in this forum. I'm not usually trying to change anyone's mind by posting a differing opinion - I really just like to present alternate points of view. Plus I like healthy debate (some call it arguing).

Old 09-25-2007, 09:29 PM

Talking Nope, no arguing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
You are SO nice! I feel like such a good student right now...I must have finally made a valid point in this forum. I'm not usually trying to change anyone's mind by posting a differing opinion - I really just like to present alternate points of view. Plus I like healthy debate (some call it arguing).
I am in complete agreement concerning the exchange of ideas and viewpoints on certain subject matter. Having an open mind is not always a positive attribute found in today's society. Reading some of the posts in the Political forum has caused me to rethink some of my thoughts and then never to express them on that forum. I am a coward at times. Debate, one thing, arguing, another. Your responses, as I stated, were well formed and, what the heck, sensible and forthright. Thank you.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:34 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittZ View Post
How do you view teaching as a profession?

It seems alot of people want to complain about teachers and the idea that we make to much money and only work part time. I have even had the displeasure of having friends (who were very wealthy) say to me that they would never live in a neighborhood with teachers because they are so pathetic and nothing more than overpriced, whiney babysitters. Needless to say, that conversation pretty much ended our "friendship" but I have to admit that this viewpoint is more common than I thought.

So, are we professionals, blue collar workers, babysitters, or something else?

My personal opinion is that we are in fact professionals. Given the nature of the requirements to become a teacher and the skills involved with teaching, we are by definition professionals. However, I do not think we (generalizing here so don't flame me) present ourselves in a professional manner. When I see teachers in flip-flops, jeans, and a hooded sweatshirt, a warm-up jump suit, or tennis shoes and denim shorts with a t-shirt I do not think a professional image is presented. When I see teachers looking like they rolled out of bed and drove to work, I don't think a professional image is presented. Do you think, as teachers, we could present a more professional image to the community as a means to begin to be seen as professionals? What else could we do to present ourselves as the professionals we are?
in a word
you are the future.
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-26-2007, 10:02 AM

508 posts, read 1,674,638 times
Alright -

It seems as most people view teachers as either professionals or professionals who need to be more professional. This leads me to a few more questions.

In talking with teachers on another website, I realized something new. Secondary teachers (obviously not all, so don't jump on me) appear to look at elementary teachers with a certain amount of disrespect. For instance, the discussion was on a math topic. Several comments were made to the effect that it would be impossible to teach the concepts to elementary teachers and elementary teachers were incapable of the logic required to grasp the concepts being discussed. There are obvious differences in teaching secondary as opposed to elementary, but is there a rivalry or an "us v. them" mentality?

To non-teachers, how do you view the difference between high school/junior high teachers and elementary teachers?

Mrs. Garrison,

Your points were all valid and I think I pretty much agree with you. Perhaps we are off just a litt bit in how we define appropriately professional though, and that is one of the reasons I bring up the differences in elementary v. secondary.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:31 AM

562 posts, read 661,154 times
Here's my take on teachers. I feel they should be treated, and paid as professionals- if they took the time to go to college and get a degree for it, they earned it.

I think that the title, "Teacher" is a dumbed down title and sheds a negative light on those who educate people. Why are TEACHERS in College called Professor and not Teacher? It's a bit ridiculous. Those who are educators should all be addressed as Professor in my opinion.

Now, I must say one reason that they are looked down upon in my opinion is that they are not paid very well. Educators are expected to teach the children of future generations, and yet do not receive very good wages.

Secondly, educators do not seem to dress like Professionals. The problem created by self image can only be addressed by the individual. Now I don't expect a Kindergarten teacher to be dressed in a suit, but let's not wear warm ups and flip flops shall we? Those who are not on the floor playing with the little ones should definitely dress the part of a Professional.

The subject of wage is a controversial one with some. I however feel that educators should be paid very well. Yet in many instances they are not paid well at all. If you told me I'd get a starting salary of $32,000 a year, I'd laugh at you. Starting salaries should be up in the $60,000 range for educators. With this increase in wage, obviously buying good clothes for work wouldn't be a problem.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 PM

677 posts, read 4,213,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
The subject of wage is a controversial one with some. I however feel that educators should be paid very well. Yet in many instances they are not paid well at all. If you told me I'd get a starting salary of $32,000 a year, I'd laugh at you. Starting salaries should be up in the $60,000 range for educators. With this increase in wage, obviously buying good clothes for work wouldn't be a problem.
The reason that teachers aren't paid well is because our industry doesn't generate enough money to do so. Movie stars, professional athletes, etc. make millions of dollars because their industries generate that much through ticket sales, advertising, and such. The amount a certain profession is paid doesn't necessarily equate to its value in society; it's a matter of economics. The only way teachers can be paid more is through higher taxes, or maybe by turning school hallways into advertising space. I'm sure cigarette companies would pay millions to have their ads in schools...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching