Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 05:15 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You do realize, don't you, that one poster does not represent anyone else except one person in one school, right?

There is no "back east" teaching standard.
I'm not following you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
It definitely varies. Does your 6 hours include art, music, pe, etc? My students are in with a classroom teacher for 3 hours and 15 minutes on Mondays (that's not counting time in music class). The rest of the week they are in class for a maximum of 5 hours and 15 minutes (when I take out recess, music/pe, and lunch) and a minimum of 4 hours and 45 minutes (that's on a day when they are in art for an hour).
Yes, it does include art or music or PE or computers or electives. They are teachers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 08:14 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I'm not following you.

Yes, it does include art or music or PE or computers or electives. They are teachers too.
I think what she means is that the classroom teachers are not in front of those students when the kids are in specials. The specials are when the teachers have their planning time.

Note, however, that for the elementary school my kids go to, they only have one special each day, so the classroom teacher has one class period off and lunch off. In many places the classroom teachers supervise the kids at lunch and/or recess (though at my kids school, they rotate the supervisory duties, I think).

Old 01-05-2013, 09:04 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,513,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvador123 View Post
I have been a special ed. teacher in no. ca. for 20 years. I have all the necessary credentials....including a masters.
I want to move to new york state to be with my daughter. In order to do this...will I have to
take a bunch of tests to indicate I am a professional teacher? Would it be easier for me to be a substitute teacher?
I was hoping it would be an easy transition...but I am definitely concerned. Thank you.

Please re-read the above OP before replying.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-06-2013, 07:48 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,672,692 times
I won't respond as the it appears that the moderator wants us to only respond to the op and we have gotten onto a tangential conversation.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvador123 View Post
I have been a special ed. teacher in no. ca. for 20 years. I have all the necessary credentials....including a masters.
I want to move to new york state to be with my daughter. In order to do this...will I have to
take a bunch of tests to indicate I am a professional teacher? Would it be easier for me to be a substitute teacher?
I was hoping it would be an easy transition...but I am definitely concerned. Thank you.
In my experience, you probably will not have any problem transferring your certification from California to New York State, but check the board of education for the state.

Interstate and International Reciprocity - Getting Certified - New York City Department of Education

You have to apply directly to the state board, I believe.

Also, imo, substitute teaching is a way to gain experience of the particular schools so that you know where you may want to apply to teach before you decide to try for a permanent job in any school or school district.
Depending upon the particular district, you can sub even without certification as long as you have a BA. Subs used to be in short supply, but I don't know the situation currently. That, too, will depend upon the particular district.

Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,361,055 times
I believe one can substitute teach without NY State certification. Substitute teaching is a good way to start when teaching in a new location.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:44 PM

25 posts, read 51,202 times
If you are thinking of teaching in NYS, substituting may currently be your only option right now. I have been certified for 3 years in NY and have been unable to land a full-time teaching job, as they are few and far between. Unfortunately the few openings allow for a lot of applications and little opportunity. I can't speak for all, but I am quite sure that most districts want you to be certified in NY before they will consider you, since there are so few openings and a lot of applicants. Districts are always looking for subs, so you would probably not have an issue finding that. But you never know, although the market isn't great for teaching in NY, you may find something if you have a lot of experience. Good luck!

Old 02-13-2013, 05:58 PM

3 posts, read 2,082 times
Default Teatcher moving to new york

You should come here few times and apply for your licenses before moving or ask for transfer ..

After u test the water you be able to decide to make your move .

Old 04-04-2013, 11:27 AM

685 posts, read 1,104,992 times
You have to be nominated by a principal in order to even get on the Sub list in NY now. It USED to be that anyone could sub, including those with a degree in any discipline, not anymore. Good luck even getting a nomination from a principal. There is a deadline to have your nomination in by as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching