Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2017, 07:09 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,717,270 times

Advertisements

My instructional coach is still being a pita. The nitpicking is annoying.

I get a decent class setup and I have to deal with her crap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 08:33 PM

8,827 posts, read 15,332,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
What kind of technology do you have in your classroom? Any at all? I have an Elmo and a Smartboard in mine, I teach exclusively with the Elmo.
What is an Elmo?

Edit: I looked it up. I see it's a document camera. (We have them, I just had never heard to them referred to as an "Elmo". Probably not the same brand.)

Old 09-05-2017, 08:40 PM

331 posts, read 370,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
What is an Elmo?

Edit: I looked it up. I see it's a document camera. (We have them, I just had never heard to them referred to as an "Elmo". Probably not the same brand.)
No, mine's not actually an Elmo ... but I've run into people who know what "Elmo" is and not what doc cam is! I think it's like "Kleenex"

Mine is an AVermedia. I got it 3 years ago for $50 on eBay. It's been working great.

Old 09-06-2017, 04:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,497,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm nervous for the new year to start. The school I'm teaching at has a high percentage of low income kids. Any advice from those who have been in the trenches for a while?
Most of my experience has been inner city. I worked in inner city LA for almost 17 years (East LA middle and high schools) and then inner city Charlotte, NC. I have been to students' funerals and it is tough.

My motto, which was attributed to Teddy Roosevelt, is "no one cares how much you know until they know how much you care."

I know you aren't language arts, but I might start with a "what I want my teacher to know about me" kind of paragraph. It may tell you a lot.

Once i knew where my students came from, it allowed me to change my expectations and mindset. These kids come from such challenges outside of school that we have to meet their needs where they are.

Allow yourself some grace to make mistakes and learn from them.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:43 AM

Quote:
No, mine's not actually an Elmo ... but I've run into people who know what "Elmo" is and not what doc cam is! I think it's like "Kleenex"

Mine is an AVermedia. I got it 3 years ago for $50 on eBay. It's been working great.
Cool. Now I'll have to look today to find out which company made ours. I don't use it very often. The PTA bought one for every class a couple of years ago.

Old 09-06-2017, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Cool. Now I'll have to look today to find out which company made ours. I don't use it very often. The PTA bought one for every class a couple of years ago.
I think it depends on the subject ... I use it every period of every day in math! It's great for geometry especially - no more wasting time drawing (lousy) diagrams on the board. I give structured notes to Alg. 1 and Honors Geometry and both appreciate them for different reasons...Alg. 1 because they don't like to take notes and Honors because they like to be perfectly organized. And, after 3 classes of Alg and 2 Honors Geo, I have a nice set of notes to save for next year, or if someone was absent.

I stopped having kids put homework answers on the board and I instead show my answer key on the doc cam at the beginning of class. They are expected to copy/correct their answers. It works great. Classwork time? Pick a student's paper to show to the class. Or, better yet, they LOVE coming up to write on my piece of paper and I make them "play teacher" explaining what they do.

We have 1:1 iPads this year and I could do similar things with Apple TV and having the kids show their answers, but, in my opinion, math should be done on paper and merely substituting that for paper is not worth much.

Old 09-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I think it depends on the subject ... I use it every period of every day in math! It's great for geometry especially - no more wasting time drawing (lousy) diagrams on the board. I give structured notes to Alg. 1 and Honors Geometry and both appreciate them for different reasons...Alg. 1 because they don't like to take notes and Honors because they like to be perfectly organized. And, after 3 classes of Alg and 2 Honors Geo, I have a nice set of notes to save for next year, or if someone was absent.

I stopped having kids put homework answers on the board and I instead show my answer key on the doc cam at the beginning of class. They are expected to copy/correct their answers. It works great. Classwork time? Pick a student's paper to show to the class. Or, better yet, they LOVE coming up to write on my piece of paper and I make them "play teacher" explaining what they do.

We have 1:1 iPads this year and I could do similar things with Apple TV and having the kids show their answers, but, in my opinion, math should be done on paper and merely substituting that for paper is not worth much.
Of course I had to look. Mine is an Aver.

My wife agrees. I don't teach math, but she does and uses her camera a lot. Not for homework, but more for showing how they solved a problem or completed a performance task. We are both in elementary schools.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,717,270 times
I need to buy my own doc camera. I keep forgetting to look into pricing.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:53 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,611,443 times
OMG after 3 months of no shoes I'm seriously hurting. Every single shoe I have worn since returning to work has left rubs and blisters on my feet. I can hardly walk!

Old 09-06-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I need to buy my own doc camera. I keep forgetting to look into pricing.
Here's the model I have: AVerMedia AVerVision300AF+ Portable Document Camera Presenter

It's over 10 years old, but I have had mine for 3 now and it still works great. I upgraded from a non-auto focus model. I actually still have the old one as a "spare."

Because it's old, the software that connects it to a computer (to capture videos and stills) is a bit dated, but I don't use it.

It has 640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 resolution. I believe it's a 3.2 megapixel camera. At 1024x768, the picture is pretty good. Newer models are now HD and have 5 megapixel cameras, but they are hundreds of dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching