Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 06:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I am signing up for National Boards. Anyone else?
I thought, NC stopped paying for National Boards in your salary a few years ago?

When should a teacher decide to go out on medical leave or resign due to illness? We've had a few teachers this year (continuing from last year with issues) who are constantly out. These teachers are constantly out every week, minimum of 1-3 days a week. One teacher in 1st grade has been out this monthly roughly 5-10 days outside of our fall break. Now, they've started taking one of the para's from Kindergarten to cover her class when she is out because the 1st grade team refuses to split her class up anymore.

It is admin problem as well but some of this falls on the teacher as well. I remember when I was subbing my first year and it was a 2nd grade teacher who was constantly out due to her MIL illness and the parents complained to the principal that they pushed her out over the Christmas break. We don't have that kind of parent engagement so I don't see that happening at our school.

It is not fair to their teammates or the students. As a teacher, you can always see the huge gaps with the students who teachers were out last year and the burdened to catch them up falls on you .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 08:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I thought, NC stopped paying for National Boards in your salary a few years ago?

No, they got rid of MA teachers' pay, for most new MAs. If you got your MA before 2013, you are good, or if you need it for your job, you are good. For example, you can't be a school counselor without an MA, so if you get it and then become a counselor, you will receive the MA pay.

But they still have National Boards pay.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:48 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
For Veterans Day does your school have any type of special program or recognition? Ours is a pretty big deal. For example, each year we have a large assembly during which the band plays, the choir sings, and the students in attendance all sing patriotic songs. We have many military families and hundreds of family members attend, so there are three separate assemblies to accommodate the number of people. Parents and veterans are encouraged to attend in uniform. Members of each military branch stand and are recognized during the playing of the branches’ anthems. They also recognize families with deployed members of the household.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:45 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
For Veterans Day does your school have any type of special program or recognition? Ours is a pretty big deal. For example, each year we have a large assembly during which the band plays, the choir sings, and the students in attendance all sing patriotic songs. We have many military families and hundreds of family members attend, so there are three separate assemblies to accommodate the number of people. Parents and veterans are encouraged to attend in uniform. Members of each military branch stand and are recognized during the playing of the branches’ anthems. They also recognize families with deployed members of the household.
We have flags out for family members. That being said given this area is home to the largest navy base in the world, school is closed.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We have flags out for family members. That being said given this area is home to the largest navy base in the world, school is closed.
Being so close to DC we have a large military population. 8700 acre Fort Belvoir is located within our county, but we have never closed for Veterans Day, at least not since I’ve been teaching.

Old 11-11-2018, 05:41 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Being so close to DC we have a large military population. 8700 acre Fort Belvoir is located within our county, but we have never closed for Veterans Day, at least not since I’ve been teaching.
We’d have a riot lol There are some days we don’t touch and Veterans Day is one of them. There are parades and everything going on that a lot of kids participate in as well.

Quote:
The Virginia Beach MSA has the largest concentration of military personnel outside of the Pentagon, with more than 86​​,000 active-duty military personnel here representing every branch in the Armed Forces. More than 75 federal facilities and defense installations are located in the Virginia Beach MSA​.​​

Old 11-11-2018, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
We’d have a riot lol There are some days we don’t touch and Veterans Day is one of them. There are parades and everything going on that a lot of kids participate in as well.
Although not in our county the Pentagon is right next door. Military presence is big.

Old 12-06-2018, 09:20 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
Where has everyone been hiding lately?!

Here's a topic that came up lately among my teacher friends: have you ever said "love you" to a student, either accidentally or on purpose? And not in a romantic kind of way. In a parent-child kind of way.

It happened to me the other day. I have a student that I'm pretty close to, comes to visit me every day, we look at his grades, help him with math homework (had him in my class for the last 2 years), help calculate his GPA to see if he can get into the National Honor Society, etc. The latter (NHS) was something I told him I really wanted him to do, last year, and he said he agreed... so every week or so I check his grades and we calculate the GPA and see what else he needs. Last week, he was checking his grades on my lunch period and we both saw, together, that he got a 96 on a test in a really hard Honors US History class - the tests are notoriously difficult and getting an 85 is "good" - he was so happy, and so was I, I shouted OHMYGOD really loud. We chatted a bit more and when he left, I said, "Bye, love ya, dude" - it just sort of came out before I could stop myself. I realized what I said and sort of apologized and said he didn't have to say it back, but he said something that meant it was implied. It was a nice moment. Inappropriate? Maybe? But it was a spontaneous thing, that I probably won't do again.

But, it really is how I feel. We really do get to love our students like our own kids. Perhaps I realize this more because I don't have any kids of my own yet.

Old 12-07-2018, 06:29 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post

Here's a topic that came up lately among my teacher friends: have you ever said "love you" to a student, either accidentally or on purpose? And not in a romantic kind of way. In a parent-child kind of way.

It happened to me the other day. I have a student that I'm pretty close to, comes to visit me every day, we look at his grades, help him with math homework (had him in my class for the last 2 years), help calculate his GPA to see if he can get into the National Honor Society, etc. The latter (NHS) was something I told him I really wanted him to do, last year, and he said he agreed... so every week or so I check his grades and we calculate the GPA and see what else he needs. Last week, he was checking his grades on my lunch period and we both saw, together, that he got a 96 on a test in a really hard Honors US History class - the tests are notoriously difficult and getting an 85 is "good" - he was so happy, and so was I, I shouted OHMYGOD really loud. We chatted a bit more and when he left, I said, "Bye, love ya, dude" - it just sort of came out before I could stop myself. I realized what I said and sort of apologized and said he didn't have to say it back, but he said something that meant it was implied. It was a nice moment. Inappropriate? Maybe? But it was a spontaneous thing, that I probably won't do again.

But, it really is how I feel. We really do get to love our students like our own kids. Perhaps I realize this more because I don't have any kids of my own yet.
Yeah, uhm, I wouldn’t do that ever again. Ever. I understand the sentiment and you are exactly right, we do end up genuinely loving many of them like a favorite niece or nephew, but you can’t say that. You just can’t. Especially, as unfair as it might be, since you are a male. The “you don’t have to say it back” is actually more worrisome than the initial comment.

And, my friend, I hate to tell you this, but it might be a wise idea for the rest of his school career that you not be alone with this young man in your room again. That means any lunch period visits need company, whether another student or another adult. I’m sorry, but close your eyes, and picture the reactions of parents or his buddies or your principal if he tells them “Mr, Knowitall said he loves me but he told me I didn’t have to tell him that back. I was kind of weirded out so I just said something like I agreed but.....” I know you didn’t mean it that way but that’s how it’s going to come across. What is more, for all you know he is feeling a type of love towards you that is not limited to a surrogate father or big brother type, if you get my drift and, in that case, you could not have chosen worse words. Discussing it further with him, at this point, would just dig the hole deeper. You need to do covert damage control.

“I care about you” and/or “I am proud of you” are far more appropriate responses, just for future reference.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post

I have never said that. While I do care about the kids, I have never come anywhere close to being able to say I love them like my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching