Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 04:52 PM

26 posts, read 56,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What I'm seeing though is that they want a coach who can teach, not a teacher that can coach.
Bingo. The only change I would make is to say they want a coach who is legally allowed to teach. They don't care if he can teach worth a damn as long as his team wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 04:55 PM

26 posts, read 56,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a ridiculous premise. All my social studies teachers were women, in an era where there were no girls' sports at the high school level.

Most of our coaches were math or gym teachers.
Your post would be an interesting contribution to the discussion if you took out the first, inflammatory sentence. You have heard not only my experience (both when I was in high school in Minnesota, and in terms of the way it is done here in Missouri), but several other people who relate similar experiences (along with a couple who, like you, do not). Why do you assume everywhere is the same as where you live, rather than considering that your experience just might be atypical or at least not universally applicable?

Last edited by SlackerInc; 05-04-2013 at 04:57 PM.. Reason: added a detail

Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,963,011 times
At my high school (2000-2004, California), they offered up the coaching stipend to whomever wanted it, whether they were a teacher at the school or a college student at the local university or a member of the community. Any prospective coach had to pass a background check and do all the stuff normally required to work with kids. My soccer coaches in high school were always soccer players from the local universities. Usually 2-3 girls would split the stipend, so they'd get something like $500 each to coach 3 hours a day from November through February.

Other coaches I can remember off the top of my head were PE (football), art (track & cross country), math (mock trial), and a local athletic trainer (boys soccer).

In my current district (northern virginia), they send out emails to all employees of the district asking for coaches. I teach middle school, and several of my colleagues are assistant coaches at the high school level for football/baseball/volleyball.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:23 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,473,279 times
The way a school deals with it isn't likely to change.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:21 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,401,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlackerInc View Post
At the very least, I could easily see lawsuits eventually forcing schools to stop these kinds of discriminatory hiring practices.
I'm not sure I could call it discriminatory. A math teacher who can also teach physics might be more valuable to a school than a pure math or pure physics teacher. An English teacher who can also teach German might be more valuable to a school than either a pure English or pure German teacher. In neither case could I fault them for hiring the person who fills more than one role they need. The same would go for someone who can coach and teach, if they need both.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:53 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,165,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a ridiculous premise. All my social studies teachers were women, in an era where there were no girls' sports at the high school level.

Most of our coaches were math or gym teachers.
No, it's not ridiculous. I don't doubt in certain regions or in urban areas, it is less accurate, but I can tell you that in the rural Midwest, it is most certainly accurate. To be honest, it's kind of a running joke that the history teacher must be the football or basketball coach.

As budgets get tight, administrators are looking for coaches who can teach to kill two birds with one stone.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 PM

3,763 posts, read 8,769,138 times
I sure saw that social studies/coach norm in Ohio in the olden days LOL. It was a running joke that "Coach" read magazines with his feet up on the desk while we did the assignment.

I am now retired; however, I sub. The teachers at the school at which I sub say it's hard to get certain high school positions unless one does coach, especially, of course, if it is a math/coach teacher or whatever who is leaving.

It is most clearly discriminatory hiring practice.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:29 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,722,440 times
How is it anymore discriminatory than any other position in which the job requirements are listed?

If a posting says that candidates are sought who have certification in, say, 7-12 social studies and who have experience coaching basketball, they're being upfront about their criteria for hiring.

It's like saying that if I respond to an ad where they're looking for applicants with typing skills, and I don't have any, I'm being discriminated against because I can't type.

Old 05-06-2013, 04:54 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,262,604 times
In my school it was a blend for the most part ..... science teachers didn't coach anything, male math teachers were pretty much all coaches, a couple history teachers did coach but not all ..... all PE teachers coached .... lit/english teachers didn't coach

mainly came from PE, math & history

my SIL is having an awful time finding a history job in WI and she is an assistant cross country coach ......

depending on where you live it's a tough situation - there simply aren't that many openings and there are a lot of people who would like to teach the subject ..... it's not as tough of a subject to fill as math & science and for right or wrong isn't considered as technical ....... so if they can narrow the candidate pool and increase their economies by wanting to find a teacher that can do both, I understand

if that is really the way the game is being played you either need to adapt to it or find something else as it isn't likely to change - again, for right or wrong

Old 05-06-2013, 05:57 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,659,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
How is it anymore discriminatory than any other position in which the job requirements are listed?

If a posting says that candidates are sought who have certification in, say, 7-12 social studies and who have experience coaching basketball, they're being upfront about their criteria for hiring.

It's like saying that if I respond to an ad where they're looking for applicants with typing skills, and I don't have any, I'm being discriminated against because I can't type.
There was one I called about to see if part time would be considered.
They wanted a support teacher with Math 4-8.
It also said "coaching positions available".

What they are looking for though is a football coach who is certified Math 4-8.

They should advertise for what they are really looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching